ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suggestions/help for suspension upgrade on daily DCi

Hi all,

Owing to my DCi being on around 120k miles I am looking to swap out the suspension at some point soon as although its pretty good I can feel that the car is a bit 'tired' owing to the age of the suspension.

I thought that it might be a good idea to upgrade parts this time round so that the suspension is renewed and working well, due to being a DCi the ARBs are already quite beefy!

Anyway, my car is a daily drive so I can't have anything too harsh, but am looking for a slight upgrade to the OEM setup, the car is currently bone stock.

I am thinking perhaps replacing the dampers with new OEM ones and then fit some -40mm lowering springs, also looking at a front strut brace but they seem to be rather expensive. For previous cars when I have got either an OEM front strut brace off a higher model or bought an aftermarket front strut brace for around £40-50, most Clio strut braces seem to be £100+ which is crazy considering how many there are on the road!

Anyway, just wondering what everyone is suggestion for me to go with, I have seen you can get a few upgrade kits on Ebay for around £200 which has sports shocks and lowering springs which seem ideal but I am not sure how harsh these might be so tempted to just go with some new OEM dampers instead.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I just got a pair of front Twingo 1.2 struts from eBay cheap of a car that was being broken with less than 5k miles they looked brand new with the revised top mounts etc!

Car drives like new with them on while giving superb ride quality given it's a daily! I previously had apex -60mm springs and dampers it handled well but was to harsh for a daily.

You could look for Twingo GT springs and dampers these are uprated over the standard ones and springs are a few mm lower. Straight swap to as they all use 58mm bolt spacing

I just got a pair of front Twingo 1.2 struts from eBay cheap of a car that was being broken with less than 5k miles they looked brand new with the revised top mounts etc!

Car drives like new with them on while giving superb ride quality given it's a daily! I previously had apex -60mm springs and dampers it handled well but was to harsh for a daily.

You could look for Twingo GT springs and dampers these are uprated over the standard ones and springs are a few mm lower. Straight swap to as they all use 58mm bolt spacing

Thanks for that, I haddn't thought about other models with the same suspension setups, would my Clio definitely have the 58mm bolt spacing? I see that there are some different spacing depending on the model etc.

Just saw these as a really basic setup with shocks and springs - guessing top mounts will be reused:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suspensio...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item259151c2dd

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Apparently there is 52mm spacing cars but i think it must be the 8v 1.2s with the non vented discs as I've never seen a 52mm car in over 50/60 mk2 ph2s!!

Never heard of that suspension before could be worth a gamble