ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subwoofer in spare wheel well??

Listerine & Poledo
Well, if the wood is heavy enough then maybe you can get aqway with that.

after all, the "box" is the wheel well and unless you've got masses of rot, it shoiuld be fairly "sealed".

consider it a "ported" box I suppose?

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah, I gathered that, it's got to be a "tuned" port etc.

As a bodge-job you could always poly-filla around the rim of the well (huhuhhuhuhuh.. I said rim) and dump the wooden box'lid' where you want it.

Still, it's a silly idea. Either you put a grille over it and end up with a pen through the cone one day, or have it fully covered up and send more bass into the floor than the car.

Just stick a tube in the boot and have it over with.

Trophy Rep
So you think a sub screwed to a piece of MDF and just hungover a wheelwell, with no sealing or padding behind, is going to sound better than a properly sealed unit??

REALLY?

i didnt say that, but the difference is miniscule, my friend has a boot build with a fibreglassed well and neither of us can notice the difference, if you do a decent job on cutting the MDF to a tight fit and securely fasten it the output will still be decent

Mk3 clio 1.5
fiberglass is used on a mass scale for custom boot builds. a few lairs aint gonna do s**t, fiberglass and a coat of resin over or bodyfiller and your onto a winner. the metal in the wheel well is only thin tiny crap, so sound will just be lost, atleast filling or lining the hole with sound proofing or something like wool would be better than nothing.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
POLYFILLA?!?! FIBREGLASS?!?!

f**king hell.

there is a reason decent speakers are mounted in cabinets made from heavy, dense materials.

i only see the point of doing this in a stripped car to be honest

how much time do you spend in the boot :)

mates done it in the boot which sounded poor but better than no sub, once he stripped it out it sounded shocking :( Its all about the size of the box really !

Monaro VXR
So you only see the point of putting a subwoofer...in a stripped car?

That to me makes no sense, the whole point of the wheel well builds is to give you nicer sound without sacrificing as much boot space.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
So you only see the point of putting a subwoofer...in a stripped car?

That to me makes no sense, the whole point of the wheel well builds is to give you nicer sound without sacrificing as much boot space.

+1 million

No I said what's the point in putting it in the spare well unless it's stripped. The well looks better but a box is easier and sounds loads better.

Personally don't see the point making the boot look pretty :/

And as for space you would have to put a false covered floor otherwise everything ends up in the sub. False floor takes up more space than a box.

Anyone tried an under seat sub ? If you want boot space it's an option !

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR
The box for my sub and putting the amps and everything else is would take up a lot more space than the 6 inches the false floor took up. Plus a flat floor in a boot is still better than one with a big box in it. In terms of usefulness. I can still get a wheelchair and the weekly shop in my boot with my current build.

Also sound wise, that just depends how well the box is built. You can make very good sounding fibreglass boxes and very bad sounding wooden boxes. Just like a crap sub can be made to sound pretty good and a great sub made to sound bad. It is all about how it is installed and built. A fibreglass box can sound just as good as a wooden box. Provided it is done properly, depends on thickness etc. Also fibreglass boxes can ring a bit, which is why you often see people deadening the actual box...like I did with my own.

As said provided it is built correctly, they can sound just as good as a wooden box.

Fair comment I guess other than your talking about a select few. Most people put a hole in mdf and thats it.

I was making a simple comment that was generalised not personal.

Sub in a box IS the easiest way to go and will sound the best most of the time. I would only put one in the well If the car was stripped and that would be only for looks.

And from
Experience it rattles more along the car than a box which doesn't sound good. Again an opinion not saying this is always the case.

Listerine & Poledo
what about a free-air sub in a stealth shelf.

Internet-Troll.jpg

clio 1.2 blue
Ive just completed this on my clio. would suggest make a fairly big hole in the sub box. When i did this and fitted it the bass was amazing !

Rs200
if i was to pack my wheel well out with insulation then make a wooden floor, mount the sub and amp on that then submerge the sub in the well and insulation would it sound alrite?

Clio Dynamique Noir
I tried this but the well is not big enough or sealed to act as a box for the sub. Plus the insulation will only absorb the sound when you want to amplify it. Make a box for the sub to sit in as well as the false floor. I did, sounds pretty good!

Breaking 172 NV676
Because its not sealed it will be really difficult to get it to sound even half decent. You could go for a free air subwoofer, but your better of making a box.

I have done this twice now, first with a 10" JL in a hexagonal ported box and now with a sealed 15" l7.
imag0297z.jpg
imag0221j.jpg