ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subwoofer in spare wheel well??

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Anyone done this? Got any pics etc?

I want to chuck my sub in, but CBA with a big box in there. Thinking fibreglass matting to use the shape of the wheelwell, then mounting this to an MDF floor

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Do it. Sounds like a plan. Youll have to cut the steel rod out though wont you ?

Sam!

Edit: What hapends if you get a puncture ? Going to put your sub on ? :rasp:

Ph 1 172
Exactly what I have done now made a fibreglass shell out of the wheel well, then attached that to an msg board that runs along the floor of the boot, you can then make a very simple false floor covering the amp and sub so you get full use of your boot. I just use a can of that tyre inflate stuff incase I have a puncture, coz correct me if I'm wrong but 182 don't have spare wheels

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Exactly what I have done now made a fibreglass shell out of the wheel well, then attached that to an msg board that runs along the floor of the boot, you can then make a very simple false floor covering the amp and sub so you get full use of your boot. I just use a can of that tyre inflate stuff incase I have a puncture, coz correct me if I'm wrong but 182 don't have spare wheels

Got any pics of this fella?

Do you know the rough volume of the wheelwell?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
2009-07-25161502.jpg

This is mine, I had it for about 10 mins before I decided it was a poo idea.

Evo 8 MR
It's a good idea, makes use of the space available.

False floor is a good shout too. Can put the amp and all the wiring under there.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It sounded pap tbh and I couldn't really use my boot as the sub itself had no guard plus I had no spare wheel.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
It sounded pap.

Hmmmm

I suppose thats down to the volume of the box, and it not being ported. You can "fool the sub" by adding wadding behind it, so it sounds like its in a bigger box. Did you have it encased in fibreglass, or just an MDF panel with the sub in, lay over the wheel well?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Charlie, looks good fella. You do it yourself?

It was an MDF panel with spare wheel well covered in Dynamant

Ahhh, so it wasnt dealed/boxed proper. no wonder it sounded pap, lol

Didn't know bmx'z had spare wheel wells :nono:

Mate, if you want to follow me round the forum, feel free. I can send you some pics of me in a thong or something if you want?

Hell, ask me nicely and buy me a Carlsberg, and I might even let you hold my nuts for me

xoxo

Mate, if you want to follow me round the forum, feel free. I can send you some pics of me in a thong or something if you want?

Hell, ask me nicely and buy me a Carlsberg, and I might even let you hold my nuts for me

xoxo

Fancy posting some pics of you in "that" t-shirt with jaloff rice and beef spilling down it?

2937254162.png

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Lol your BMX is almost as famous as Roys RS. Yep it wasn't sealed properly I just couldn't be asked with all of that.

Charlie, looks good fella. You do it yourself?

Yeah just knocked up a quick box without a lid, stuffed it, got a sheet of MDF, cut a hole, joined sheet to box, dropped sub in.

Never gonna sound amazing, but gives you a s**t load more space and a nice little punch in the back.

Ph 2 172
You can buy a pioneer active sub that is designed to sit in your spare wheel if you turn the wheel upside down lol

Mk3 clio 1.5
Pretty much what I want to do with mine. Any idea on the measurements for that box mate?

In fact............ fancy just making mine for me? lol
i'm going to be doing something very similair this weekend. i can send you all the dimensions and measurements if you want?

Trophy Rep
Anyone done this? Got any pics etc?

I want to chuck my sub in, but CBA with a big box in there. Thinking fibreglass matting to use the shape of the wheelwell, then mounting this to an MDF floor
mate chin off the fibreglas, i did mine and it works perfectly, use some 18mm mdf from travis perkins and got the carpet to wrap off ebay, in total cost me about £17
IMG_0928[1].jpgbe prepared foryour sub to get scuffed like mine!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Mine? The pic of it finished is on page 1. Don't think it could have looked any neater tbh

Pretty much what I want to do with mine. Any idea on the measurements for that box mate?

In fact............ fancy just making mine for me? lol

Was a fair few years ago now I'm afraid I can't remember them. And no ta I hung up my sub box making hat a good while ago lol

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
mate chin off the fibreglas, i did mine and it works perfectly, use some 18mm mdf from travis perkins and got the carpet to wrap off ebay, in total cost me about £17
View attachment 59904be prepared foryour sub to get scuffed like mine!

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say? I kinda read it as you just screwed a sub to a board and laid it over your spare wheel well without sealing

Monaro VXR
Have a JL 12W7 in the wheel well of the C4.

Done properly a wheel well box can sound brilliant. Just have to put the time in and do it right. Took a good while to get it all in and done properly. Still not actually finished the top layer yet either.

Trophy Rep
I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say? I kinda read it as you just screwed a sub to a board and laid it over your spare wheel well without sealing

Basically forget fibreglassing, its a waste of time, the sub sounds better than it did in the enclosure

Listerine & Poledo
Am I the only person who uses their boot for carrying things... like luggage or shopping?

To have your sub cone exposed is just asking for something sharp to set itself free of a bag and leave you with a duff sub.

That's why I'm sticking with my all-in-one tube, it may not be the best, or the prettiest, but it does the job well.... and I've still got a full-size spare.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
LOL

i take it your someone who wastes money and believes wifes tales then

So you think a sub screwed to a piece of MDF and just hungover a wheelwell, with no sealing or padding behind, is going to sound better than a properly sealed unit??

REALLY?