ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stud Conversion - Best Option?

RS172 Flamer
Hi, I have been doing some research into the Stud Conversion. I was just woundering which the people of CS.net found the most appealing.

Pure-motorsport, Larkspeed, Demon Tweeks...?
(any particular brand on these sites more superior than the rest?)

Also what length of studs/what spacers are most effective? (If any)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I really like the pure ones but feck me they are pointlessly long unless you plan on using a non bolt on 30mm spacer or something, I wish he would do a shorter set!

Best ones I have used are the harry hockley ones, but they are pricey.

Avoid the awful cheap ones from rally designs etc, they just stretch and fail as they arent strong enough IME

RS172 Flamer
I really like the pure ones but feck me they are pointlessly long unless you plan on using a non bolt on 30mm spacer or something, I wish he would do a shorter set!

Thats the thing, the PM ones come ready made same size (upto 12mm spacers). I was looking at JamesT87 trophy and he had 20mm rear spacers and 15mm front. IMO his car sat beautifully but that would mean buying 80mm (front) and 85mm (back) if I was to have the stud conversion with spacers.

Best ones I have used are the harry hockley ones, but they are pricey.

Do you have a link? Not heard of these before

Avoid the awful cheap ones from rally designs etc, they just stretch and fail as they arent strong enough IME

Will do, cheers for the heads up :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
http://hh-ms.com/parts-catalogue/?SelCategoryID=5&SelModelID=1&SelSubCategoryID=12

The A0405/AN0402 is the one that suits the clio (but listed there for rear of an astra)

8 quid each plus vat including the nuts, so a little dearer than the pure ones.

They arent as long, and I really like the way that they 405 ones have a better location for the wheel, they actually protrude into the seat in the wheel which the pure ones dont.

On the plus side for the pure ones though they have a nicer lasting finishing (the hockley ones look rusty after a while) and they have a nice allen bolt fitting to do them up with (5.5mm though so make sure you have one as most normal key sets dont!)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Welcome aboard.

Summary for you of clio versus vauxhalls:
Engine ok as standard but harder to tune
Handling far better
Gearboxes are terrible
The dealers are horrific for getting parts, 10 day waits and wrong bits turning up are common

What you got then mate?

Clio
I havent got a clue, it's a clio with a 1.2 in it. Its on a 52 plate i havent even had time to drive it let alone look at it. It's sat outside the house but i haven't been home in day light to even have a poke about. I really should empty the garage or even get it down the workshop.

Lets face it the xe engine was never a bad engine it was just the monkey's that played with them !
I went for the clio for the handling but never seemed to have a problem with the corsa or the nova so should be ever better :)
Gearbox- nothing new there then :(
I have seen on here some one using a vag box but the shite aswel ?
Is there not a company like autovaux in the renault world ???

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You have a 1.2? Flol, wouldnt have thought its quick enough for the handling to matter.

I was expecting you to say you had a supercharged 197 or something, lol

There is nothing like the parts supply chain of the vauxhall I am afraid mate, especially for the sport models in particular.

One thing you will find interesting though is the go faster limited editions actually are better, things like increased caster on the cup for example, vauxhall never did stuff like that! sport just meant different alloys in the vauxhall world, lol

Yeah the vag boxes arent brilliant but are a HUGE stepup from a renault one in terms of power handling.

I was looking at those for mine

Can't decide on a decent combo of hubcentric spacers and studs - need to pad the wheels out 12-15mm on mine
I've sort of now just added it to a list though entitled "Stuff to get Fred to do over winter" ;)

Clio
You have a 1.2? Flol, wouldnt have thought its quick enough for the handling to matter.

I was expecting you to say you had a supercharged 197 or something, lol

There is nothing like the parts supply chain of the vauxhall I am afraid mate, especially for the sport models in particular.

One thing you will find interesting though is the go faster limited editions actually are better, things like increased caster on the cup for example, vauxhall never did stuff like that! sport just meant different alloys in the vauxhall world, lol

Yeah the vag boxes arent brilliant but are a HUGE stepup from a renault one in terms of power handling.

come on you should know me better than that lol

its getting stripped to a bare shell in a few weeks and heading over to jonboy to have a weldin cage fitted and probaly painted , will more than likley have a 2.0 with a little gas for use at pod ect and build a turbo engine later on once i get bored of the lack of power, quickest thing i have driven in the past three years is a transit lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Look like utter garbage to me, same studs as rally designs sell by the look of it.

Ok on a road car probably but when I tried a set on track they stretched and the wheel came loose.

Attaching the wheels to your car, isnt a great place to be trying to do things on the cheap IMHO

RS172 Flamer
turner motorsport studs from the USA, same fit as clios

I'll look into them, cheers :)

I was looking at those for mine

Can't decide on a decent combo of hubcentric spacers and studs - need to pad the wheels out 12-15mm on mine

I'm the same, can't decide on the best combination.

Thanks for that, i'll have a look at those :D

Attaching the wheels to your car, isnt a great place to be trying to do things on the cheap IMHO

I would have to agree on that, although I am considering every option