ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange non starting problem

iceberg 172 cup
Hi I've got a 53 plate 172 cup with cc which until friday was running fine apart from a weak battery that has now been replaced. My wife drove to work on friday morning, just a couple of miles, and when she went to drive home it would start.
The car turns over but doesn't fire so I the AA who has been out and spent 2hrs trying to fix/diagnose to fault. We have tried a TDC sensor, checked the fuel pump is priming and running when cranking engine, checked for spark at coil pack, removed and cleaned relays, checked fuses, checked injectors.
The out come was the fuel pump is priming and appears to be running when engine is cranking, the coil pack is fine, but the injectors are NOT switching so there is no fuel going in. There is also a orange light on the dash the electronics light I believe.
Any help/advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated. :banghead:

clio 172 phs 1
I'd be checking the injection locking relay under the bonnet,very common for wiring going green(corrosion) and relay sticking causing non start

iceberg 172 cup
Cheers I'll have a look at that my brother inlaw has a 172 as well so I could try his relay to see if that cures it.

iceberg 172 cup
Checked the relays and wiring the best I can still no luck going to have to bite the bullet and call out an auto electrician. I don't suppose anyone on here can recommend one in the Weston super mare area.

172 CUP
mine was doing the same. thought i had mended it then this morning it didnt start. Took a (random) relay out and back in again and it started. I would love to know what the 4 relays do in the front right of the engine.

Mine however was not turning over at all. which sounds like a different starting problem

Im under the impression there are two non starting problems both are completely different if the engine dose or dosnt at least turn over. Mine didn't turn over but the imob light went out so its not a key problem so must be the little starter motor wire or fuse etc. if it does turn over its further down the line things like TDC sensor (have you tried that one).

172 CUP
ive now sorted the cup and its working i had replaced the large brown relay in the picture above but this didnt solve it. I then started swapping the two smaller brown ones around only to be left with a car that turns over but never starts and shows the little electrical light on the dash.

Read somewhere that this relay is the same as one under the passenger foot-well so grabbed that ne and started swapping it out only to find i can now start the car every time. Im not sure what now dosnt work with out that relay under the glove box but all i can find is the front fog lights not working, i am going to wait for the new ones to turn up though.

iceberg 172 cup
Got mine sorted now had an auto electrician do it in the end it was corroded wiring that was the problem after checking everything cost me £160 but I would never of fixed it myself.