ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange handling.

clio 182
I have a 182 with cup suspension and it handles really well.
But there seems to be a slight problem, when ever I go over a bumpy road or a pot hole the steering wheel goes crazy, turning from side to side, making it very hard to control.
Anyone else encountered this problem?

clio 182
Thanks for the reply bro.

I'm considering getting some eibachs, what shocks are best, will standards be okay?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Standard shocks are fine mate, Check them for signs of leaking first though as it could be something else.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh it could be one of my rear shocks as I haven't checked them just saw the front when I was fitting some arch liners.

Like you though, if I go round a bend and hit a few bumps it can be pretty scary and tries to shoot the front end in any direction other than the direction you are pointing the steering wheel. I even noticed the steering go quite heavy when hitting a bump on a bend.

RS200 Cup
I'm having this problem too, on my new (to me) 172 Cup. Immediately thought shocks but they appear to be dry... All I can think is they've either had it and are not yet leaking, or there is another problem, possibly worn bushes/ball joints/rod ends. I'll be refreshing all of these components asap as it feels somewhat dangerous.

Also I've never driven a car with a strut brace before, but I don't think it's that...

No car
Yeah I have this problem! Feels like it goes in all the directions apart from where you want it to go! So annoying and dangerous! Taking it to RenTech on Wednesday!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
is the old test of pushing on each corner and seeing if it bouces or just returns to its normal place not applicable anymore?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Same issue on my 182 sometime, bit of rough road and the arse just bounces around, scares the s**t out of me!

+1 for rear shocks, jack up the car, drop the lower bolt on the dampener (one at a time,unless you have a ramp) and push/pull it up and down, i bet it sounds very squidgy.

Last edited:
is the old test of pushing on each corner and seeing if it bouces or just returns to its normal place not applicable anymore?

When my rear shocks were gone there was no way you could tell by just bouncing corners. Admittedly they were not completely gone but they were faulty. There were no leaks on mine either. I only decided to check out of piece of mind so I dropped the axle, as described above, and easily could tell they were not consistent damping.

With them removed and the new ones to compare with you could see the difference. When you manualy compressed and extended the damper unit itwas obvious the top part of the travel had a step change in the rebound damping force and compression was not smooth (one side was worse than the other but both were bad). New ones were completely smooth in both directions, nice slow movement through the whole range of travel as it needs to be.

Has handled much nicer since, but there was very little to give the game away without properly checking.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
I had this problem, my left rear shock had no oil in, it didn't show any signs that it had leaked either, but when I took it off the car it was like a pogo stick, didn't give any damping at all, replaced the pair of back shocks and the car has been fine ever since

182FF
Ive got this problem aswel on my 182, have brand new rear shocks sitting in my room. Is there a guide on how to change them? i have trouble changing a lightbulb lol

SQ5
You dog even need a jack.

Undo the 16/18mm bolt in bottom of shocks both sides, car will then be able to be lifted freely.

Don't lift too much as springs will fall out.

Them undo the top nuts inside the boot, 16mm, and they will drop out.

Then fit the same but backwards!

Give it a quick drive whilst the shocks are out to make sure the rear springs are ok.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive owned 5 mk2 clios and had to do rear dampers on all 5 at some point!

3 of them have had rear discs and all 3 needed both handbrake cables too at some point!

Tin Can with wheels
have the same issues on the trophy so next job refresh track rods and ends (although there is no play or knocking, but car is now on 64K so just i in case) suspension arms (Renault only with ball joints) should solve my problem...

Last edited:
  clio 182
I have recently got changed ball joints, arb bushes and track rod ends but I still get 'bump steer'.
I was wondering if anyone has solved the problem, as it seems to be quite a common problem.
Considering clios are renowned for their handling, I am struggling to even control my car!
Any help please!