ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Storm Grey 172

RB 182
Few things have changed on this, so thought it was due an update

The uneven idle (a lot worse than standard) was starting to annoy me, as was the knocking suspension at the front, so I decided to put a few quid into her, and picked up a replacement subframe, complete with CUP arms. I bought new ball joints, and new inner and outer anti roll bar bushes, staying standard. I also bought a new dephaser, and cambelt kit, but my best bargain was a 2 year old KTec Stealth to replace the exhaust that was on it, which I'm sure was a 1.2 back box. I searched all round for a standard system, but I wasn't gonna pay full up, and no one seemed to be selling a genuine system, even though the for sale ads sounded like they were - they were always aftermarket tat

Last weekend was my Mrs' hen do, so I had plans to do everything at once, so there'd be no moaning, however I hit an obstacle whilst doing the cambelt - on my Sunflower, I'd just used the cam tool to hold the cams whilst I undid the pulleys, as my mate had one made out of strong steel, however the pulleys were that tight it bent the tool - it was a week later when I finally got the pulley locking tool to complete the job! The timing was out when I originally lined it up, and there was lots of play in the dephaser

20140801_171849_zps6tslh67y.jpg

20140801_173001_zpsyjhcobhx.jpg

New dephaser

20140801_174025_zpstbvx03w1.jpg

I followed all the guides, leaving the pulleys lose and turning the engine over backwards, then torqued everything up. First turn of the key, and she fired into life, so I went for a spin. Now I've had 4 172s, and after doing the belt on this one, the 5k kick is more pronounced than I've felt on any of them!

This morning was the next stage in the rebuild. I had the new subframe built up with the ball joints etc, so set about swapping the frames over. The frames bent where it's been in a slight bump, and this frames been off before as the front two bolts were quite new. However, don't be fooled into thinking the captive nuts would be kind. They weren't, spinning straight away

20140802_092135_zpshzxanqmn.jpg

I managed to get a spanner in, and eventually got the bolts out. Other than that, the frame came off quite easily

Here are the old ball joints and anti roll bar bushes, remember this car has only done about 1k since it MOT, passed with no advisories!!

20140802_083347_zpstwhdm8gl.jpg

20140802_083408_zpsondvkmvm.jpg

And the bent frame

20140802_083416_zpstmjumulr.jpg

20140802_095704_zpsjucnkakz.jpg

I now know why the radiator was cable tied, the two bottom lugs have snapped off, so I need a new radiator aswel

20140802_095711_zpstrpidlme.jpg

Whilst the frame was off, I fitted a genuine cat fitting kit, as tree was only one bolt in there

20140802_095726_zpsiv7bzs9i.jpg

20140802_102757_zps7hpvzjj2.jpg

I rebuilt it, with all the new bushes, and then fitted the KTec

20140802_120739_zpsqulhqeq8.jpg

And that it for now. Whilst the car was jacked waiting for the pulley locking tool, the nsr shocker decided to leak all it's fluid out! The fronts are shot too, so next thing is new shocks all round. Then, she might be nearly done!!

Many.
Top work man.

Finally getting the love it deserves. Are you going to get a new rad? I have a couple of good condition used ones you're welcome to cheap.

I bet it drives a lot better now, both powerwise and handling with that front end sorted.

I rememeber this car, Previous owner was a bit of a knob.. went crazy when I pointed out that the 8.8 grade rear shocker bolt wasnt right.

Might be worth checking that its been changed?

Other than that, cool project.. seems to be going well

RB 182
AlexW yea I'll get a new one, what price are you looking at as I'd have to factor a courier in aswel?

That bolt is still the same, I remember seeing it, however it's been fine since it was put in, I'll just change it when I put some new shocks on it

Many.
Hermes would probably do it for a fiver as normal roughly. Just call it £15 posted factoring in my time/packing.

PM me buddy.

RB 182
So abit of an update for this

Finally decided to treat her to some new shockers!

I was selling it at the beginning of October, with the intention of getting an A4 Avant Quattro for the winter, and also so I can look after my nephew as never 100% trust the Clio. However, I've now ordered a new Golf R which after a few months the Mrs will have, so I've decided to keep it for the foreseeable future, probably taking it on track next year.

So, new shockers were desperately needed. The rears had totally leaked, the fronts were that bad the car was around 1/2 and inch lower at the front! So, my local Renault price matched Wolverhampton Renault and did me front and rears plus dust boots

Old

20141025_092414_zpsrsh5nvig.jpg

New

20141025_092433_zpsvpmk4z5w.jpg

I've never really bonded with the Cooksports, and ideally wanted some Eibachs to replace them with but never found any at a good price. It really is quite low on just springs

I've also been trying to find a good enough image to fix the airbag wiring, and fianlly jotted down the plug layout off another Clio, so maybe I'll sort the light eventually! Whilst the shocks were being replaced. I replaced the cut handbrake cable that's been like that for around 4 months! Now the handbrake is 3 clicks, makes me wish I still did carpark handbrake turns as itself to for that!

Finally, I bought some 15" steels off here, and some 195/50 R15 Goodyear winter tyres. I fitted these last week, and on fitting them, realised the front tyres I'd fitted less than 2000mls ago, have scrubbed to nothing on the inside! I fitted the winters, and the steering was appalling! I had it aligned yesterday, and it's mich better now!

Things I still need to do it paint my one remaining red caliper black, and the radiator is still cable tied to the subframe!

Last edited:
  Trophy, Flamer, BG
Whilst fitting my microphone, I removed the interior light unit, and found this wire - does anybody know where it's from?

Could possibly be for the small fan unit (for climate control) that reads the air temperature in the car?? It's common for them to start making an irritating buzzing sound.

why doesn't the outside temp gauge work? I'd of thought if it was a sensor issue, it'd read high/low or just dash, but there's nothing on the display?

I have the same problem on my 172 :confused:

Clio 172 2003
Could possibly be for the small fan unit (for climate control) that reads the air temperature in the car?? It's common for them to start making an irritating buzzing sound.

I have the same problem on my 172 :confused:
I have this problem too on my 172! Somebody have solution? And I have too the buzzering noise from the interior car light.
I need help please.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
Just read this complete thread and all I can say is "you paid money for this?" Did you even check it over before buying?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Just read this complete thread and all I can say is "you paid money for this?" Did you even check it over before buying?

Not the greatest of comments. Not everyone has the time or know how (not aimed at you op) to check every single aspect of the car, and as with anything the small minor faults are most likely to show up over a period of time not instantly.

Top work bringing it back to a decent spec though mate, really enjoyed reading.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
With the majority of these problems it takes less time to find a fault then do the repair. So I don't think time was even a factor in the decision to buy. Also he seems to be able to carry out repairs so "know how" doesn't seem a factor either.
My personal opinion is that the buyer was bedazzled by the unique colour and would have bought it regardless. Don't get me wrong, we've all done it. I know I have in the past. To me it's just a case of "you can roll a turd in glitter, but underneath all the glitter it's still a turd."
You will never have full confidence in a car like this and chances are there will always be some niggly problems that you end up just living with or passing on to the next buyer.
These are obviously just my opinions but I bet most have you have got the T-shirt.

2003 Clio 172 Cup
And in my experience, if a car has had a colour change, it just screams accident. 9 times out of 10 you'll find the evidence in minutes. A mate of mine brought me round an Audi TT mk1 in Ibis White (non standard colour) he'd just bought so I could give it a once over and low and behold I took the boot liner out and there it was....... Spare wheel well that looked like a concertina. I saw my mate's heart sink when he realised what he'd actually paid for.
When it comes to buying cars I will never buy something that's been painted a different colour or is still vinyl wrapped.

Storm Grey Clio 172
Good reading this thread. This car is now mine as project track car.

The rear passenger side shock is leaking again but have another new set to go on @Faxo could you please message me your mobile number so I could ask you a few bits? Cheers

How does the top of the radiator connect to anything? Held on by zip ties still.
Mooing in for front end paid Tuesday as Tim had a hit at the ring and I've got lots of goodies for it