ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticking caliper?

Hi all, sometimes when I first start up the car, then release the handbrake and go to pull away it feels like my handbrake is still on as the car won't pull away. Then suddenly I feel a clunk from the rear and the car releases itself and drives fine.

Could this be a sticking rear caliper? Thanks

renault clio 1.4 16v
check for brake cylinder leaks, had the same thing, both rear cylinders were leaking, could also be stuck slider pins

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It can be quite a common thing to happen , especially in wet weather . I've seen it mentioned alot over the years on CS. Mine does it on and off on my 182 , did it on my 172 as well . The brake pads stick the the disc . I wouldn't worry about it too much .

Cool cheers guys, now I think of it I’m sure previous Clio 172/182’s that I’ve owned in the past have also done this occasionally. It was raining this morning too so it could well be something to do with that. Wonder if there’s somewhere I can oil to prevent it happening so frequently

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Cool cheers guys, now I think of it I’m sure previous Clio 172/182’s that I’ve owned in the past have also done this occasionally. It was raining this morning too so it could well be something to do with that. Wonder if there’s somewhere I can oil to prevent it happening so frequently

Oil up the discs, should do the job :astonished:

Just leave the car in gear and don't use the handbrake, easiest fix.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
As above it's probably nothing to worry about. Jack it up and check both rear wheels spin freely with the handbrake off.

I've just had to free up the rear caliper on my 182. Slider pins were all OK but the piston was sticking. Pulled the dust cover off and wound the piston right out, bit of a sand down with very fine wet n dry and popped it back in. Bled the brakes and it's perfect!

If yours does turn out to be sticking I'd give that a go before going and buying a rebuilt kit or a new caliper. Took all of about half an hour to fix.

As above it's probably nothing to worry about. Jack it up and check both rear wheels spin freely with the handbrake off.

I've just had to free up the rear caliper on my 182. Slider pins were all OK but the piston was sticking. Pulled the dust cover off and wound the piston right out, bit of a sand down with very fine wet n dry and popped it back in. Bled the brakes and it's perfect!

If yours does turn out to be sticking I'd give that a go before going and buying a rebuilt kit or a new caliper. Took all of about half an hour to fix.

Many thanks for the tips mate, I will inspect the Calipers soon and do what you suggested

Sounds like it doesn't just affect the cup then! I have heard things about rear calipers seizing more frequently on the cup due to lack of ABS and therefore a heavy bias towards the front brakes.

Fingers crossed it will get a bit better when the weather improves but if it continues to be a problem I'll inspect the calipers like in sburrell93's post