ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Problems - Not Cranking

Clio 172 Mk2
Hey guys I'm having a right annoying problem with my 172 mk2 at the mo. Quite often (literally every other day) when i got to start the car i get electrics and lights on the dash but when i turn the ignition fully the car doesn't crank what so ever. I literally have to turn the ignition off and keep trying. On like the 5th attempt it finally cranks and the car starts fine. Any ideas?? It's getting pretty desperate now because it took forever to crank this morning so i was late for work. I've checked the output of the battery and that seems ok and the car had a brand new crank sensor last year

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Check the wiring to the starter motor. This can sometimes become corroded and stops the correct power getting to the starter. disconnect the battery, remove the spade connector, check for corrosion, clean up, refit connector.

Failing that are you sure it's not an immobiliser issue? Does the immobiliser light go out after a few second of having the key on ignition?

Clio 172 Mk2
thanks for replying mate. Where abouts is the starter motor on the 172? do you think it could be the starter motor itself? I've not thought about the immobiliser, i'll check the light when i go home tonight

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Immobiliser is probably the first thing to check.

It's the red light in the centre of the dash. It should go off after a few seconds with the key on ignition.

Clio 172 Mk2
well seems like i've resolved it mate, cheers for the heads up with the immobiliser light. I tried it when i got in from work and noticed when the car wasn't cranking the immobiliser light was just flashing instead of going constant and turning off. I thought it may have been my actually key fob because i realised it hardly works with my central locking lately as well. Bought a new battery for it tonight from halfords which made no difference. Dug my spare key out the bottom of my drawer and it works fine now :) must be a dodgy key fob. Central locking works from much further away now as well and car cranks fine