ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter motor

As im no expert with vehicle electrics.. i have to swallow my pride and post a assistance requisition lol.

My vehicle starter is playing up. i can place a fully charged up battery in the vehicle and then when i turn my key i just hear a clicking sound. i can turn the key 2 -10 times and hear the click.. sometimes though the starter turns and vehicle starts!. i can pull up fuel up then when i attempt to start car.... click.. keep turning key until it eventually starts!.. i have tested 2 fully charged batteries on my car with the same result.

so i have narrowed down to the following possible faults:

1) ignition block

2) earth related

3) bolloxed starter.

any assistance, testing ideas welcome :)

cheers_ Gunner

ps:

As a rule of thumb, if you hear clicking but nothing else, you solenoid is working but the motor isnt. If you hear a whirr but not the engine turning, the motor works, but the solenoid isnt engaging it.

[Edited by gunnergibson on 15 September 2005 at 1:09am]

Willy2

starter, 95% sure, next time it messes you around, give it a whack with something long and metalic, it is placed under the exhaust manifold and is covered with a metalic foil, its a b*tch to change mate. get the long bar(i use my trolley jack bar) between the manifold and move the bar up and down, if that makes sense.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

give the wiring on the starter a wiggle... sounds stupid, but theres a tech note somewhere, and if i recall correctly its because of one of the connectors becoming damaged with heat, or something along those lines.

Mine used to do it, gave the wiring a wiggle as suggested, problems not been back since.

I have just fixed the same problem on my car.

Symptom: intermittent starting either hot or cold.

I was getting a clicking sound but I later found that this was not the solenoid as it was too quiet. The solenoid on my car (Mk1 Phase 1) makes quite a considerable clunk as it shoots the gears forwards, the clicking was something else.

What I did was remove the starter motor and cleaned the contact between the solenoid and the motor. It was covered in gunk and rust. This fixed the problem.

With the connector removed between the solenoid and the motor there was no sound when I put 12v across the solenoid. The motor on the other hand worked fine.

So even with the solenoid working, if it isnt actually moving the wheel forward, you wont hear the clunk. And at no point did I hear a click form the thing.

But once I had connected the two back up. It clunked and whirred fine.

/Mad