ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starter Motor (quoted price query)

Ibiza SC
Hello,

Last night my starter motor died on my Cup, it basically just clicked when I attempted to fire her up. We tried jump starting / bump starting and also tested the battery which had plenty of life in. Ignition works and all electrics do as well.
I had the car at the garage this morning and they called me confirming that I require a replacement starter motor.

They quoted me £340 inc. labour / VAT.

Am I wrong in saying that is mad for a starter motor? I've contacted a couple of friends who have done a couple of bits of work on my car and that estimate was laughed at. I'm getting the car towed home tommorrow by my dad, ordering a starter motor myself off the interweb and having a mate pop it in for me no charge as soon as it's delivered.

340i
Have you checked the connections?

they do get dirty / corroded over time... It could need a simple 'clean up'

Clio 172 cup
Whats the quickest way to replace a starter as its right behind the fanimold.

Do you have to remove the manifold and do it from the engine bay top

Or jack it up and remove the drivers drive shaft

Cant see it ever being a 2 hour job

It comes out without removing the manifold or the driveshaft

Undo bolts from the top - go underneath and undo the wiring - then wiggle it out the drivers side of the manifold

Or so I've been told by 2 or 3 people - will be trying on saturday

The subframe off and manifold swap only took me 3 hours though - can't see the starter motor being more work

172 cup, Impreza P1
Job to change the starter motor due to where its located. I'm about to fit one on my eninge but its on a stand so not so difficult. Dealership rates are around £70 per hour so 4 hours plus parts and you're there.

As Phil says you can get them out from the top through the manifold, Although I got mine out through the passenger side of the manifold, also managaed to undo the wiring from the top as well. Not the nicest of jobs to do though.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
service exchange starter from renault is £112.60. Brand new is £250.80. Dealer labour rates are about £85p/h +vat

Ibiza SC
Awesome.

Well, I would rather source my own and wait for delivery and spend half a day fitting it than getting it done today for £300+!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Looked it up in the manual and it actually doesn't look too bad a job. Should be easy enough to do in a couple of hours.

Ibiza SC
Hello,

Last night my starter motor died on my Cup, it basically just clicked when I attempted to fire her up. We tried jump starting / bump starting and also tested the battery which had plenty of life in. Ignition works and all electrics do as well.
I had the car at the garage this morning and they called me confirming that I require a replacement starter motor.

Also, it didn't bump or jump start either. Is that a good sign that the starter motor is pogged? A mate said the car should still bump start if the motor has gone (garage said it requires a new starter). Just checking..

Looked it up in the manual and it actually doesn't look too bad a job. Should be easy enough to do in a couple of hours.

Just a lack of room was the biggest problem I had, access to the bolts holding the starter motor in place aren't the most accessible either.

Also, it didn't bump or jump start either. Is that a good sign that the starter motor is pogged? A mate said the car should still bump start if the motor has gone (garage said it requires a new starter). Just checking..

It should bump start if it's just the starter motor that's knackered.

The solenoid is what will be the problem - that's whats gone on mine

They don't like the heat of sitting next to the exhaust manifold so seize up - if you tap them with a hammer they usually start a few more times then seize up again

Ibiza SC
Yeh I just got it back from the garage and they said it's the solenoid. It started first time to get it home and I've just tried it and it started no problem a few more times.
Not worth risking using it again though, so waiting on a new motor.

Mine starts first time every time when cold - if you get it warm it sticks and won't start again till it's cooled down

Was a bit annoying at my last track day - had to bump start the car every session lol

Ibiza SC
So after a week of public transport, waiting for a new starter motor and getting it fitted, turns out it wasnt the starter motor at all. Was a bad earth.., a £3.50 wire fixed it. Garage quoted me £300+, thank f**k i didnt leave it to them!