ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squeaky Belt on 1.2 16v...

Breaking A 172 Replica
Sometimes (it seems increasingly often) there is a bloody loud squeak/squeal from under the bonnet. Seems to happen most when there is lots of moisture in the air (so hot humid days or the wet).

95% sure its a belt and if its a belt it must be the aux belt (as squeaking is slipping and the cambelt has teeth so can't slip?)

Must be either the alternator or the pulley connected to the engine (no PAS pump), but how do I fix it? DIY or garage? Not up for buying new belts....

Thanks

Sam

had same problem on mine,tensioner on way out,renault have admitted they have a fault and so have done the aux belt kit including tensioners now for 35 quid iirc,had it fitted and all good now

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if your cambelt was slipping you'd know about it lol

will be aux belt mine done it on my old engine, just replace it yourself its a cheap and easy fix

Breaking A 172 Replica
How much to replace yourself? Can I not just tension the belt myself?

The thing is the belts are over due... But I am selling the car soon so cba with that.

Sam

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
VaselineJelly.jpg

Breaking A 172 Replica
Won't viscous lubricant like vaseline or duckhams or whatever just make the belt slip constantly and wear away due to the constant slippage?

Is there nothing I can do to tighten or loosen the belt?

Just remember - the belt was actually replaced as its a Halfords belt but not sure if the tensioners were also done?

Sam

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
mine is doing this whenever i wash my car =/ makes a high pitch noise for about 5 seconds then goes away.

BMW M135i
Theres no aux tensioner on the D4F engine, assuming you haven't got air-con then you've just got the alternator belt to worry about.

The alternator pivots to tension/detension the belt, look at it and you'll see how you can increase the tension on it to stop it slipping. Theres no marks to go on though and renault use an electric strain gauge to tension the belt to the required level, so you'll have to use some judgement as to how tight it needs to be. Don't go mad!

And the belt(s) should be replaced really. If the cambelt snaps you won't have a car to sell!

Breaking A 172 Replica
Ok thanks for that BMH.

Is it easy to workout how you adjust the alternator? I don't have aircon btw so there are only two points on the belt.

Just to confirm, squeaky belt = belt too loose so slippage occurs, yes?

Thanks

Sam

BMW M135i
Ok thanks for that BMH.

Is it easy to workout how you adjust the alternator? I don't have aircon btw so there are only two points on the belt.

Just to confirm, squeaky belt = belt too loose so slippage occurs, yes?

Thanks

Sam

Should be yes, from what I remember theres only one bolt and the alternator pivots on that. Undo the bolt pull the alternator to set the tension and tighten the bolt up. Check to see how tight the belt is before you start though just to get a gauge.

It shouldn't be as tight as a bowstring but it sholdn't be slack either, theres a happy meduim. Just use your judgement.