ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sport insurance vs. Current 1.2 policy

RB182FF & Mini
So for my 1.2 I am paying roughly £3190 PA on insurance :dead: (just turned 18)

Got a quote from Elephant for £3400 on a 172 sport? o_O

>Should I buy a sport? :eek:

Convictions/modifications/refused insurance elswhere/unemployed/pay monthly/previous claims/no or low voluntary excess

Plenty of reasons why your insurance premium might fall into the "mental" catagory. If you're content with paying 3.2k, why not pay an extra £200 for an RS...

BG V6, LY 182
Crazy! Do you not have anyone on your policy, i.e mum & dad?

Try stating that you leave it on the road. Yes, ON THE ROAD. Stupid as it sounds, i saved something like £80 on my last quote. Although £80 is nothing compared to that quote :|

In answer to the question, do you buy a sport, yes. :)

ph1 clio 1.2
tbh it would be silly buying a sport at this age (im 18 too) although i'd love one, its way more more on running the thing, patrol, tax etc, then if any issues occur, stick to a cheap little engine car for now, make it nice, then build up no claims to happily afford a sport thats what im doing anyway

320d
May as well.

To be honest the 1*2's aren't really that expensive to run. Tax is twice as much as a 1.2, and the cambelts are expensive. Other than that they're not really expensive at all.

Tyres could be classed as expensive compared to the 15" 1.2 wheels but in reality a set of premium tyres all around on a ph2 172/182 isn't really expensive considering a lot of new 1.2's run 16's now. MPG is good too. Motorways at the speed limit will see 40mpg.

Put it this way, I can't think of many quicker cars that are cheaper to run.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Jesus, I actually think I'd catch the bus if I got quoted that amount, did you manage to roll and hit 10 Ferrari's or something?
I pay £1350 for my ST, I'm 19 with 2 years NCB - Last year on a fairly modded 1.2 Clio I paid £1100.

Sounds like you're getting absolutely c*ck slapped by your insurance company.

RB 182 FF
Yep bugger it get a 172 0r 182 if you can afford to, you might as well!!!!!!!!!!! World's apart from a 1.2 so live a little!!! :D But go steady if you do they are fast cars! :D

172 exclusive no 172
i just got back from the states and lost my ncb due to being out the country for more than 2 years( bull cr4p) 10 years ncd down the drain...

I went to moneysupermarket.com and compared 128 companies in one go, my 172 is only 800 full comp.. but i am a little older:rasp:

RB 182 FF
May as well.

To be honest the 1*2's aren't really that expensive to run. Tax is twice as much as a 1.2, and the cambelts are expensive. Other than that they're not really expensive at all.

Tyres could be classed as expensive compared to the 15" 1.2 wheels but in reality a set of premium tyres all around on a ph2 172/182 isn't really expensive considering a lot of new 1.2's run 16's now. MPG is good too. Motorways at the speed limit will see 40mpg.

Put it this way, I can't think of many quicker cars that are cheaper to run.

^^^This is spot on^^^ :)

RB182FF & Mini
Getting the mother to quote me as a named driver on a 1*2, will see if I get any better prices...

I would just like to mention that my £3190 worth of insurance is for TpF&T WITH £500 excess and my car down as being worth £700 >.<

^--- Roundhouse cockslap from AdrianFlux?

£200 for a service? Jesus! Is that normal? (My first year of owning a car newbies questions shall be asked)

mk 2 clio
i would go for the sport, mine 3200 on my 1.2 and thats with a black box, anything without was 4000 plus, and im 20, was 19 when got the insurance but its my first car. a 1.2 might be a better to start though cos youll be getting used to the roads and more likely to kerb up some rims. although i would probably get the sport in that situation. lol

RB182FF & Mini
Block of wood under the acceleration pedal
Fill up £5 at a time?

I'm slowing myself already :cool: I agree with the tyres though! I've just had new ones on my 1.2 and I feel alot safer already lol

clio 182 sport
i just got back from the states and lost my ncb due to being out the country for more than 2 years( bull cr4p) 10 years ncd down the drain...

I went to moneysupermarket.com and compared 128 companies in one go, my 172 is only 800 full comp.. but i am a little older:rasp:

s**t, i work for in insurance, go to aviva, axa or zurich they will accept ncb up to 3 years :) you dont wana loose that :)

Renault Clio MK4 RS
what insurance company are you with? did you get one from a comparison site? if you did id go elsewere as im swapping companies after finding insurance £1000 cheaper elsewhere!

Clio 182 (cup packs)
Wow! £3200 on a 1.2!? :eek:

I had a 1.2 Clio for my first car in 2006 and paid £1600 fully comp.

I pay £700 on my 182 now with 5 years NCB.

Surely you must be able to get it cheaper than that or has insurance really gone that bad!?

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Agree with Ghm, put someone older with no accidents as an occasional named driver and it does help. I've been driving for 12 yrs now used to put mum on it, now she's older it doesn't help so I put my b/f on it now and still saves some pennies. tho if I got a £3k quote I'd get a bus pass until I was 21!
I only pay £260 now fully comp, good postcode, 7yrs NBC no accidents/convictions. Just thought I'd give you something to look forward to :)

Clio 182 (cup packs)
Forgot to mention I have always put my mum & dad as a named driver. Saved me few hundred each time!

BG 182
having a fast car now can help you later on when getting quotes cause if they see you've had a fast car previsouly and managed not to wrap it round a tree or worse a person it can reduce your premium. thats what ive read anyway. but for the sack of £200 go for it buddy

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
If I had an insurance quote like you've stated, I wouldn't even drive.

f**k no.