ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spider-web effect on a brand new car? PC?

Clio 197
Hiya,

So I've picked up my new bus... in metallic black.

The car's spanking new... and the paint already has the 'spider-web' effect on it.

I went back to dealer, and he says that's because the car is black. Hmm...

I explained to him that:
The car was in the showroom, and therefore polished by the valeting monkey twice a week before I bought it). The dealer then applied 'guard x' for free... further increasing the contact my paint has had with their sh*tty cloths.

Q: If I get it PCd (by one of your kind selves in the SW), how long will it realistically last before swirls return? (I wash with the two bucket method, and blade dry my car).

Ta,

Uncle Fizz.

Last edited:
  Not a 320d
Depends how you wash it entirely. Black shows it more yes, but my old black clio went a full year with only proper wash methods and occasional paint protection, so no correction, and once i did decide to polish it, i only used final finish as there were only light swirls and wash marring. This was a year where i decided that detailing was a waste of time and money (irony lol?) which it is i guess, but its a personal hobby so hey who the hell cares.....

Id lose the blade but some people swear by them.

Clio 197
Interestingly, the blade doesn't run along the pain on my new car as smoothely as it used to run on my old one.

I'm starting to wonder whether this 'guard x' is a load of b****cks. Good thing I didn't pay for it!!!

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
I certainly wouldn't pay for it..

DiamondBrite contacted me after seeing my site.. "can we work together". We met, had a chat, took their kit and tried it, and, I'm not overly impressed. Needless to say I'm not going to be pushing it..

RE inflicting swirls etc, you cannot fully escape inflicting them. There are steps you can take to help minimise the chances, but, it only takes a fiiiine piece of grit or similar and it's back to square 1. A thorough pressure wash concentrating on panel gaps, underneath wing-mirror etc, then snow-foam and more pressure washing. Then the two buckets, ra-ra-ra etc.. Careful with the drying towel, too. 'Pat' dry if you can.

Megane 225
The only way totally eliminate getting cob webbing is to pc the car then never wash it or breathe on it again! Seriously, as said you can only minimise the chances but u will always get a bit after washing!

Not a 320d
I certainly wouldn't pay for it..

DiamondBrite contacted me after seeing my site.. "can we work together". We met, had a chat, took their kit and tried it, and, I'm not overly impressed. Needless to say I'm not going to be pushing it..

RE inflicting swirls etc, you cannot fully escape inflicting them. There are steps you can take to help minimise the chances, but, it only takes a fiiiine piece of grit or similar and it's back to square 1. A thorough pressure wash concentrating on panel gaps, underneath wing-mirror etc, then snow-foam and more pressure washing. Then the two buckets, ra-ra-ra etc.. Careful with the drying towel, too. 'Pat' dry if you can.

Totally agree with this, like i said with my old car, wash marring and light swirling, easy enough to take care of. My new one is due a polish now but im struggling to find the time to do it.

out of interest whats pc :S

Porter cable 7424, its a dual action machine polisher that oscilates (sp?), there are others like the G220 and the DAS6.:approve:

Golf GTD Mk7
get some pics up ;) Dealer supplied "protection" is shite. They charge a fortune for it as an option and it is pointless. PC should remove some of it yes, but you'll be there all day and some probably. Depends how "clean" you want the paint.

Oh and lose the blade. Accident waiting to happen. No puns intended btw

106 gti, RB 182 cup
agreed guard x is garbage tbh, we charge something stupid like £350 for a really poor product :(

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
So a blade is a bad idea then... do they increase chances of scratching?

Very much so.. In the 'detailing world', they're seen as the devils tool...

For a start, it's not very nice to have that brushing over your paint as it is.. it's pretty stiff and not the friendliest of material to pass over your paint (the less physical contact, the better!!)

But, it only take a tiny bit of grit to fall, or to escape from a panel gap that you missed etc and you're transporting the deposit from one side of the car, to the other.

IE. 'Blading' water off of the roof. Start at the back, and push it alllll forward towards the bonnet. Unfortunately, you picked up some detritus from the arial and you've trapped it between the paint and the silicone blade.. (with nowhere for it to go other than hold on and enjoy the ride (as opposed to deep pile towel that absorbs bits AWAY from the paint)

I took this photo some time ago now.. working on someones SEAT LCR that he is utterly anal about. YET, still believed in using blades to dry. It was only when I picked out a few areas that had suffered from such weapon, he backed down, entered the garage and threw it in the bin!

DSC03182iwd.jpg

This was on the roof life.. Again, from the very back of the roof, all the way to the front. Two or three pieces of dirt that could have A) dropped onto the car after the wash stage and before drying, B) been picked up from said areas like panel gaps etc or C) been on the blade from crappy storage in the garage (IE, in a dirty little container box or something)

The pic has been heavily photoshopped to allow them to bee spotted easier; difficult to photograph them without tweaks due to the dull day and colour of the car.

Hope this helps.

Clio 197
That explains a few of the marks that I have then... :S Thanks for the pic. Blade's been put away.

I knew black would show up marks... but not that badly. I've thrown all of my old pads/cloths out of the garage - don't want to risk any more marring.

I think the 'guard x' treatment totally stripped the car of any wax that was on it. I gave it a very light coat of NXT, and the difference was startling.

Got myself a new wolly mitt... megs microfibre towels (one for drying and three removing polish/glass etc). Couldn't find any microfibre applicators, so went for foam ones.

Let's just hope we get some decent weather: Two coats of SRP and one coat of EGP should do the trick. :)

PS I've never clayed a car before... and because it's brand new, I'm tempted not to bother.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
you need to be even more carefull if your claying need to use loads of lube, as your basically dragging all the much and contaminaits across the paint, and can cause major marring.