ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

speed up my pc what shall i buy?

transit van, ph2 172
my pc is always slow, from the moment i hit the power button till it loads my main screen normally takes at least one minute, why is it so slow, if i try and do anything like watch a vid etc it nearly freezes, what can i replace to speed things up? thanks you clever lot

Audi S3 225
Go to start, run and type msconfig then enter. Go to the startup tab and untick any progs that you dont want starting with windows. I pretty much untick everything except avgtray which is my antivirus and ctfmon as i dunno wot it is. Also check the services tab, tick hide all Microsoft services and see of theres any progs you don’t need running like apple, office, msn, ati etc.

Also run a spyware check using spybot search and destroy and do a full virus scan using avg free.

As mentioned do another defrag. Another tip I read about is giving the case inside a good clean, the dust can clog up the fans and trap heat which will cause the computer to run slower.

If this doesn’t speed it up consider backing up your files and doing a full format. If this doesn’t sort it then maybe think about upgrading.

Good luck m8

transit van, ph2 172
i tried the msconfig thing unticked most things and it wouldnt load up pictures on websites so ive reticked everything but its still slow how do i know what i need on there ? is there anyone that could take over my pc and sort it out online ?

Scirocco GT 2.0
Download and install CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ tick all the boxes and Analyze then once thats completed, 'Run Cleaner' and that will delete all the temp files you dont need on your machine. also run the registry cleaner if you wish.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
It sounds like...

On a serious note, if you want to upgrade two handy freeware packages that will give you a detailed diagnostic on all your existing hardware spec are CPU-Z and Belarc Advisor. Using either will help you figure out if the stuff you're planning to upgrade will be compatible.

Just be cautious with the likes of RAM that you buy the right density as some of the cheaper stuff that you see on fleabay won't necessarily work with certain motherboards (Three guesses how i know this...:rolleyes:).

p.

Last edited:
  Megane Mk4
Buy a new one... 2.2GHz AMD with 896MB RAM is old skool IIRC...
Mine's an AMD 1700+XP running at 1.57Ghz, 1Gb 133Mhz SDRam and takes 37 seconds to boot Windows XP Professional with SP3 and LAN running.

If you've got a desktop full of icons. usually it workloads a profile loading too, clean them up (put them all in My Documents) and use shortcut icons. Sometimes the blues front end slows it down too. you could try turning it off.
More program installs usually slow down performance too, go through your add/remove folder too and uninstall programs you rarely or never use. Might even be the wrong memory too, you could have 2 memory sticks and one of them is running slower, so it slows down the rest too.

*** Edit, someone else has suggested that above, **

Better than yours. C*nt.
Buy a new one... 2.2GHz AMD with 896MB RAM is old skool IIRC...
Mine's an AMD 1700+XP running at 1.57Ghz, 1Gb 133Mhz SDRam and takes 37 seconds to boot Windows XP Professional with SP3 and LAN running.

If you've got a desktop full of icons. usually it workloads a profile loading too, clean them up (put them all in My Documents) and use shortcut icons. Sometimes the blues front end slows it down too. you could try turning it off.
More program installs usually slow down performance too, go through your add/remove folder too and uninstall programs you rarely or never use. Might even be the wrong memory too, you could have 2 memory sticks and one of them is running slower, so it slows down the rest too.

*** Edit, someone else has suggested that above, **

But you know how to use slower systems and maximise performance I suspect - but trying to educate someone who wasn't sure of their processor to do similar is like swimming upstream. Easier to do the inevitable and bin the old system for a spangly one with more go...