ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

spec my macbook

clio 197
right i have just sold my old ipad for more than apple is selling them for now so im just about to upgrade to a mac book pro as the ipad isn't good for what i need it for. other than watching movies and surfing the web.

i need all the basics from my imac so photoshop illustrator garage sale. MAM needs to be very quick im uploading around 1000 items an hour at the moment to the web and also designing templates adding products to amazon and selling items through MAM software etc all at the same time.

so far iv decided on the 15" with 2.2ghz quad core. 750gb

but should i upgrade to the 2.3 ghz and 8gb of ram. or will i not notice the difference.
also with regards to the display should i upgrade to the hi res glossy widescreen or the antiglare hi res screen. The anti glare isn't as good looking but is it worth it? im kinda thinking that if i upgrade it to a good spec when i come to sell it on i wont loose very much on it.

im buying it through my company so i kinda want the best aswell as i have to use it when i'm traveling and out of the office... Help this is my first apple lap top i have only ever bought off the shelf models with no upgrades.

All the bumboys on here love the glossy screen, mainly because the anti-glare has a silver border.

DO NOT GET A GLOSSY SCREEN! I am so surprised a company like Apple still use that as standard. You cannot see what you are doing, and they only work in a pitch black room, and even then you can still see reflections on it.

Also, DO NOT UPGRADE THE RAM FROM APPLE!

I've have just installed 8GB RAM in my MBP, cost me £70. Apple charge a s**t load more for the same.

Upgrade the specs that you cant do yourself, like screen and processor etc.

What he said. Glossy screens are shat.

Get ram from crucial :)

5433181582_051a6c6663_b.png

clio 197
tbh though im really only going to be working on it in the evenings i have my imac at work so use that there...

the anti glare screen just looks like they have ripped the black layer off
:(

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I find the glossy screen fine. I've not tried using it outside though.

clio 197
think ill go glossy it does look nicer. however would it be possible to use it on a plane i fly a fair amount so if thats the case would the anti glare be better. as i guess sunlight would hit it.

i keep changing my mind, its looks or practicality

clio 197
yer but the impression i get from online reviews is that if you use it near a window its almost impossible to work with. my desk is start right in front of a big window... will this annoy me

Go cry to your momma!
Hell yes, you'll be moving your desk if you go glossy.

I'm on my 15" glossy now and wish they'd do a standard res' anti glare..

Might even try a film on mine!

You cant just base it on our advice. Go and try them yourself.

I'm not basing my glossy hatred on nothing. My siss has a glossy MBP, and after about a minute on it, it almost got chucked out the window!

And I use a glossy Toshiba at work, which has a massive window behind me, so you can imagine what that's like!

I will NEVER buy an iMac with a glossy screen, until they do remotely professional grade displays, I'm not interested!

DO NOT GET A GLOSSY SCREEN! I am so surprised a company like Apple still use that as standard. You cannot see what you are doing, and they only work in a pitch black room, and even then you can still see reflections on it.

LOL what a load of cobblers. Serial mate, that's just utter b****cks. You need some refurbished eyes.

It is actually a fact - glossy screens are s**t. I will NEVER change my opinion on that.

But bear in mind I use mine a lot for photography, another reason why I can't stand the glossy screens.

Ford Focus ST2
just swapped from glossy to anti-glare and i will never buy a glossy one again.

Glossy has better colour side by side, but when there apart you really would not tell the difference!

IMO get the anti glare!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I don't care if they're better, which they're not for me... but the matte screens have the f*cking ugliest border ever around the screen.

Pass.

Still see reflections in a pitch black room? Reflections of what? That's actually scientifically impossible.

If you're near a window then yeah of course you will get some reflections but generally it's not an issue for most people. Direct light will wash out a matte screen so it's not like they're the perfect solution. Don't use computers in direct sunlight. What about plasma TV screens, or all CRT TVs that everyone used for about 60 years? Did/does everyone need blackout curtains? Not that they would help because you can still see reflections in the pitch black. LOL.

Self justification for an ugly MBP ;)

Yourself? The backlit keys?

lol at the 'ugly border' comments. I love how the argument for getting glossy is because it has a better border, which is personal preference anyway.

SRS dude, you need your eyes detailing if you can see yourself in an MBP in a dark room. As for the keys, WTF? Do you fold the screen down and peer in through a letterbox? Honestly mate, I'm sure you're happy with your choice but you're just clutching at straws IMO. Sure, it's personal preference, but you're making out like the glossy screens are a nightmare, when they are not. Not to most normal people at least. I'm using one right now in a normally lit room and I can't see a single reflection of anything.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Lol, glossy screens are much better, colours and everything for that matter just looks better.

If you are ever going to watch a video on your laptop then it's much better glossy.

I have never had an issue with reflections, I've had glossy laptops now for the past 10+ years when they first came out and have never thought of not buying one. My work laptop is matte and the colours are terrible in comparison.

I'm surprised that someone so heavily into photography who would benefit from seeing a better colour representation is so against them, use the laptop in your dark room ;)

With the risk of adding more fuel to this fire, the anti-glare screens are actually better for photography, not only because of the reflection issue, but they have brighter whites, and many photographers say they have better colour accuracy.

The only advantage the glossy screens have for this purpose is slightly deeper blacks....that's it.

Just FYI :)

If that's the case, why do so many photographers have big iMacs/ACDs etc?

There's no way I'd ever have a matt screen. Not only do it look ugly but you barely gain anything. You can sit in direct light but how often does that happen?

clio 197
went into apple today, deffinatly getting a glossy screen but in two minds now, 13" or 15"

with the 13" i noticed that you can get a 2.7ghz processer and its so much cheaper than the 15" 2.3

most the time the laptop will be connected to a monitor at home. or used side by side at work with a imac 27" so is it better for me to get the 13" and save some money.

Also can i get a high res screen on the 13"

im down in plymouth seeing a mate on sat for his birthday to whos a student so how much is student discount aswell?

thanks for the help :)

2.2 bar shed.
15'' ftw. I've never had any problems with my glossy screen, use it all the time on trains etc during the day and never notice the reflections. Use it for loads of photography work as well :S

13" sucks. I have one, and the screen, compared to other Apple products, is SH*T. I'm still shocked that they didn't upgrade it for the 2011 model.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Very useful thread as i'm in the middle of looking at getting a MBP (thanks to TEG for heads-up)

Although, the different opinions doesn't help me so much, ineviteable really though.

Monaro VXR
13" sucks. I have one, and the screen, compared to other Apple products, is SH*T. I'm still shocked that they didn't upgrade it for the 2011 model.

Personally I am shocked they continue to use shitty 6 bit TN panels in the MBP's. A panel that is actually not capable of hitting 24bit true colour. While every other Apple device around uses far superior IPS panels. f**king stupid.