ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Something let go this morning

2003 Clio 172
Eugh, so about to pull out of junction to leave the girls to school and bang......no drive.

Got the car to a safer place (albeit abandoned) and a neighbour kindly brought the girls for me

So sitting in the car trying to work out what has happened. I don't see any oil or bits of metal anywhere

Engine running, I can put the car into 1st, 2nd and 3rd without the clutch.

If it try to put it in 4th or 5th it grinds and when I use the clutch in 4th or 5th it goes in but no drive

Reverse is the same

I take it that rules out the circlip issue?

:(

I was going to say circlip if you had the speedo needle rising but no actual drive, but if you can put it into gear without using the clutch while with the engine is running, something else must be borked… lol

I am no expert but I'm thinking clutch - being able to slot it into gear with a running engine but getting no drive would suggest power is not being transmitted to the gearbox, I would say.

2003 Clio 172
I thought that originally bud but I cant slot the gears in 4th and 5th with the engine running :/

Just 1st, 2nd and 3rd

2003 Clio 172
i havent buddy................i just got the car back to the house.

Couldnt happen at a worse time as we have just so much family stuff going on its unreal. These things come in threes eh?

:/

2003 Clio 172
Right, so...........no drive in any gear actually. Not sure why it was crunching into 4th and 5th.

Can get it into all with no drive but can hear distinct whirring in 4th and 5th

1, 2 and 3 all go into gear really easy with no noise at all

Reverse will crunch but pushing the clutch in gets it in. Still no drive.

2003 Clio 172
Spotty dog Adam. Will have an eyeball at the linkage this eve

Failing that. Its on to the classifieds for a cheap runabout :/

2003 Clio 172
I take it that it will be quite obvious if the circlip has gone?

If i can get away with an in car repair then a punt at the 50 quid would be worth it imo. There really aren't many boxes around and most certainly, non that I can find in Northern Ireland.

Will have to learn how to tap and get the tools for the same but that is the only thing I would be concerned about.

I saw mention of people not trusting the bolts that came with the renfort thing, I take it that is still the case and to replace these with something strong?

Finally, lots of rags, magnets and grease to stop the crap getting into the box, a bit of thread lock and that is as good as the "easy" option goes?

J

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Engine running, I can put the car into 1st, 2nd and 3rd without the clutch.

That negates it being a driveshaft.

Mine did exactly the same - just about to pull out of a junction and BANG - no drive. However, any attempt to slowly release the clutch in any gear resulted in an awful grinding noise.

With the clutch fully depressed, I could work through the 'box without any issue. It meant a replacement driveshaft for me though.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If the circlip has popped (sounds likely), fit a Renfort plate and fixed for good. Fit decent high tensile bolts instead of the stainless ones supplied.

2003 Clio 172
Thanks for that @Brigsy

I am all for trying the in-situ repair but firstly need to get the car up an incline into a garage

Quick question.

Say I drop the gearbox oil and pull the shaft. Is the circlip something that i could temp replace to all new to drive it up a drive

Would it also be clear that the circlip is the issue?

J

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I personally think it's the circlip.
I also think fitting a 182 gearbox is your better option than the renfort, that said theres nothing wrong with them but doing it in situe opens up a whole other can of worm with swarf potentially ending up in your gearbox.
@NorthloopCup is the master builder of our boxes. He will most likely have a box already repaired ready to ship and will take yours as a part payment.
All you need to do is swap it over

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I personally think it's the circlip.
I also think fitting a 182 gearbox is your better option than the renfort, that said theres nothing wrong with them but doing it in situe opens up a whole other can of worm with swarf potentially ending up in your gearbox.
@NorthloopCup is the master builder of our boxes. He will most likely have a box already repaired ready to ship and will take yours as a part payment.
All you need to do is swap it over
Funnily enough, I’ve got one in that’s done the same thing, so it’ll be converted to 182 spec.

2003 Clio 172
Ok buddy. If you could PM me a price I can throw that into the mix here as my head is a mess right now. Cheers bud.

2003 Clio 172
So mine had no speed sensor......ph2 172......I take it no difference going to a 182 box or anything

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
If your car has no speed sensor on the gearbox then no, there will be no difference apart from the bolted diff rather than the circlip one. Think mark told me once there 2 types if diff bearing aswell

2003 Clio 172
So just to confirm. Will I be able to visibly see if the circlip has shat itself or is there a quick test to prove so?

Can I try and shunt the shaft in or anything to knock the diff and see if it picks up drive again

This would also help me get it in the garage as I cannot do work on it where it sits and we did try and push it up the incline with no joy

J

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
So just to confirm. Will I be able to visibly see if the circlip has shat itself or is there a quick test to prove so?

Can I try and shunt the shaft in or anything to knock the diff and see if it picks up drive again

Get some friends round to help push it into the garage. Then jack the front left up. Drain the box oil and remove the left shaft. Will be able to see if circlips jumped out. I'd bet £100 on it though as exact same thing you are describing happened to my mate 172cup on track. Can select gears but no drive. Mark built him a new box aswell

This would also help me get it in the garage as I cannot do work on it where it sits and we did try and push it up the incline with no joy

2003 Clio 172
Remember that pesky circlip guys?

20191006_160739.jpg

Wthjf?

And yeah, no sign of the screw heads :/