ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sold the house - cash in pocket

f**k being sensible. £30k on a Cayman S and the rest in the bank to run the thing.

Then go cruising for bitches. The kind that will be impressed by a 2yo Cayman S. I'd start with your local high school.

Monaco 172
If I splashed it all on a nice motor i'd constantly live in worry! and fear it being nicked / vandalised!

Well, here are the best mid-life crisis options:

2011 GTR (http://pistonheads.com/sales/4208962.htm)

997 Turbo (http://pistonheads.com/sales/3904535.htm)

Audi RS6 Avant (http://pistonheads.com/sales/4205086.htm) - Lambo V10 + Twin turbos for the lulz - Get it de-restricted and go do 205mph on the Autobahn in it.

4.2 R8 (http://pistonheads.com/sales/4199082.htm) - You can't get a V10 for £60K yet I don't think :(

There are a few older 430 Coupes that are almost in budget (http://pistonheads.com/sales/3934330.htm) - same goes for older Gallados (http://pistonheads.com/sales/3977606.htm) if you haggle. But then you've got no money to fix it.

TVR Sagaris (http://pistonheads.com/sales/4207397.htm) - Make sure you keep the extra £10K to fix it in the first 6 months! haha.

That would be MY short list anyway. If we're being semi-sensible I'd go for the GTR because it's probably going to cost you less to run. If you want to go completely mental see if you can get a 430 or a Gallado for £60K then pray it doesn't brake. Oh, and rob a bank to put petrol in it/shoes on them.

DB.

BMW 440i
£12k on a car, I'd personally go German, I won't be going back!

£2k on a nice holiday
£1k on a few smaller treats.

Put the rest back into property tbh.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Not sure why rental property is being suggested so often. It's a good deposit admittedly but there are much less time consuming ways to make a few quid.

Plus your years margin won't be wiped out when you need to buy a new boiler. And the presence of a mortgage on the rental property could limit your ability to fund your own mortgage unless the rental is seriously self financing in terms of rent vs. mortgage.

I'd buy a nice motor a la 335i/d and put the rest on my own place.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
not sure on your situation and if you need a house but id be sticking with the guys suggestions of getting a rental property, and id be plowing every penny you have into it minus enough for a car, probably something nice but cheapish (bmw of some sort most likely!)

RB 182 FF
F355 Manual with Capristo Exhaust, NO better sound on earth even after all these years....... :D

END THREAD :D

Last edited:

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
Invest in more property, then in another 10 years time you can be sat in something like a nearly new Gallardo, all bought and paid for.

Property is the way to go, trust me;)

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
whats everyone going on about supercars for. FLOL! once that cash is gone its gone and blowing it on up keep on supercars isn't the best advice imo. by all means get a car if needs be say 15k and go for a holiday then i would as others say put down a nice deposit on a property where you will atleast be able to rent out and get some income in.

PH1 V6
Anyone who says spend it all on a car is off their rocker.

Ok so you have some cash from the sale of your property, great. Spend no more than 10k on a car if it is what you really want. This whole "spend it whilst you have it" idea is all great for now, but all you are doing is setting yourself up for a massive fall. In this day and age owning a property is one of the safest ways to secure your money, and even look to see a return on it in years to come. Some may say it is boring, but i guess it depends if you will be happy living off a state pension later in life, or renting a property which is simply lining someone elses pockets when you could be lining your own.

My question to you:

If you spent the whole 60k on a car, would you then move into a rented property?

If the answer to the above is yes then you would be mad. Set aside some cash for a downpayment on a property, then atleast the money you are paying each month will be your own equity rather than someone elses.

Think ahead!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Spend a year not working smoking weed all day and playing video games watching films all the while.

TTRS & V50
Well essentially they did have it.

You can't buy a house for 200k with 150k, they bought it with 200k, but could only afford 150k.

Expenses, they thought they might as well all claim while they can. Same thesis.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I'd probably plough it all into a new house - but all I do is save, save, save. I'd prefer to have a bigger, nicer, cheaper mortgage (as applicable) than a nice car - this is why I still have the trophy! Having enough money for at least 20% deposit is a big commitment and hard to come by these days, esp if youre wanting a house in the 3% sdlt threshold.

Things like a holiday etc id just save up from my disposable income PCM or set aside a small amount to help me on the way (2k or so). Only thing i really want but don't have is an s3 - but cant justify so much money on a car - also dont want to lease one at some outrageous cost pcm either. Realise this approach will really separate opinion.

DB.

BMW 440i
I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to spend the majority of a £60k lump on a car when they don't have a house.

You spend small periods of time in your car, large periods of time in your house!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Things like a holiday etc id just save up from my disposable income PCM or set aside a small amount to help me on the way (2k or so). Only thing i really want but don't have is an s3 - but cant justify so much money on a car - also dont want to lease one at some outrageous cost pcm either. Realise this approach will really separate opinion.

Buy an 8P S3. I think they are a superb buy. So much kit for the cash and a lovely machine to boot.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers gally - problem is im so picky, I really like the 07 on - and not such a big fan of the older ones. Appreciate they'd be a good buy no doubt though. I was hoping rs3 prices would push 2nd hand ones down, no such luck yet though.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They are holding quite well but if you think how much they cost it's a bargain. My TT was nearly 35k new! Love the used car market! Those S3's would have been 30k with options.

Will wait until more are south of 10k. Sorint Blue is lovely, White a tad common although Ibis is a great clean White.

17RS2'd Cup
60k = the best week of your life in Thailand. Obviously you'd have to post the pics, if you get round to taking any that is.

DB.

BMW 440i
60k = the best week of your life in Thailand. Obviously you'd have to post the pics, if you get round to taking any that is.

You certainly don't need that for a good week in Thailand! Your a king for half of that! lol

Hangover 2 pic style.

lol at everyone being so serious and boring.

He was asking only a semi-serious mid-life crisis question. Clearly he's not going to spend £60K on a super car, because frankly that would be madness. But the whole point of a mid-life crisis is to do something beyond stupidity to make yourself feel better - or at least, THINK about doing something amazingly silly. The last thing you want when you feel sh*t is to be told "Get another mortgage and use it as a deposit". Boooooooo

Some of you need an imagination.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
lol at everyone being so serious and boring.

He was asking only a semi-serious mid-life crisis question. Clearly he's not going to spend £60K on a super car, because frankly that would be madness. But the whole point of a mid-life crisis is to do something beyond stupidity to make yourself feel better - or at least, THINK about doing something amazingly silly. The last thing you want when you feel sh*t is to be told "Get another mortgage and use it as a deposit". Boooooooo

Some of you need an imagination.

Being realistic isnt boring.