ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Solar Powered trickle charger FF182 - advice please

CioSport 182 ff
So all of a sudden my battery drains flat after two-three days. Looking on this forum it seems likely to be the engine management system, and it is going to be difficult to trace the actual fault. I am at college so I don't often use the car. I have a new high capacity car battery.

Trouble is - when the battery is flat I can't open the door using the central locking, and I can't open the side door because the key lock doesn't work, so I can't get to the bonnet release to jump start the car!

So I figure the next best thing - plumb in a solar trickle charger.

Has anyone had good - or bad - experiences of these things? What would be a good setup - I have done some research and it appears that some chargers are not intelligent and can over-charge batteries and so might also need a charging regulator.

Also - are the solar charging panels likely to work inside the car - or will the windscreen glass filter out the light that is used for solar power? I am only asking this because my reactolite lenses in my glasses don't turn dark when exposed to the sun inside the car.

All thoughts and recommendations gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Mr Rusty

CioSport 182 ff
Trying to reply to james24785 - The car was draining the battery a couple of months ago. It was an old battery so I figured the battery was kn**kered so I changed in in October. The car still drained the battery after having been left for a few days. The alternator is working fine.
Hope this helps . . .

Thanks again

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Trying to reply to james24785 - The car was draining the battery a couple of months ago. It was an old battery so I figured the battery was kn**kered so I changed in in October. The car still drained the battery after having been left for a few days. The alternator is working fine.
Hope this helps . . .

Thanks again
Sorry mate, I deleted my own post because I hadn't read your original post properly lol

So all of a sudden my battery drains flat after two-three days. Looking on this forum it seems likely to be the engine management system, and it is going to be difficult to trace the actual fault. I am at college so I don't often use the car. I have a new high capacity car battery.

Trouble is - when the battery is flat I can't open the door using the central locking, and I can't open the side door because the key lock doesn't work, so I can't get to the bonnet release to jump start the car!

So I figure the next best thing - plumb in a solar trickle charger.

Has anyone had good - or bad - experiences of these things? What would be a good setup - I have done some research and it appears that some chargers are not intelligent and can over-charge batteries and so might also need a charging regulator.

Also - are the solar charging panels likely to work inside the car - or will the windscreen glass filter out the light that is used for solar power? I am only asking this because my reactolite lenses in my glasses don't turn dark when exposed to the sun inside the car.

All thoughts and recommendations gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Mr Rusty