ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

so whos had the longest list of problems when your car has faild its MOT

FF Racing Blue 182
ill start mine faild today and lm not looking forward to the repair bill

1..registration plate lamp not working

2..nearside rear position lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp and thats on both sides

3..centre exhaust has a major leak

4..exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive

5..exhaust emissions lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits

6..offside rear shock has a serious fluid leak

7..nearside abs ring split

8..front brake application uneven

9..front brakes imbalanced at 32%

so had this car six months and its a money pit both belt kits done last month and also two new tyres last week

​has anyone had a list like this

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
To be fair most if that you should have picked up yourself. Did you not even check lights etc?

theres nothing all that expensive in the list I can see, the exhaust leak is likely to be the cause of your emissions, worst case you want front discs and pads, and then a bulb and a rear shock and sort out the earth or similar that is messing the rear lights up.

107 Track Car & C4
To be fair most if that you should have picked up yourself. Did you not even check lights etc?

theres nothing all that expensive in the list I can see

Agreed.

Also I wouldn't say the car is a money pit when belts and tyres are wear and tear items that are needed on all cars.

FF Racing Blue 182
i know guys....when i bought i was told rac checked it over and i jumped head first and bought it

if anyone is reading this and looking for a clio please dont buy on impulse it was paisley autocare danny

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Thats where i take mine aswell mate, they are actually quite a good garage to be fair!

Who done your belts by the way?

FF Racing Blue 182

theres nothing all that expensive in the list I can see, the exhaust leak is likely to be the cause of your emissions, worst case you want front discs and pads, and then a bulb and a rear shock and sort out the earth or similar that is messing the rear lights up.

i had been looking for an inferno for months and it popped up around 15 miles away at £2700 i bought it over the phone i knew it was to good to be in good nik but hey ho

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My transit went for MOT yesterday and I have two paGES of failures. Every single one involves rust.

​Oh, and they advised on a cracked wing mirror glass. Like that matters when i'm doing a Fred Flintstone down the road in my rotten Transit.

FF Racing Blue 182
We had a laugh about mine as it was the only 2 pager of the day.....ah the joys

I reckon £300 for the work

rear lamp will be easy to sort, take it off clean the contacts up and bend the metal pins on the loom abit so it contacts better, had this problem myself

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
My old Zetec S list of problems was unreal. Proper death trap lol and that dont include blowing the engine twice & gearbox and clutch....I hate fords lol

Clio 172
I took an old Fiesta to an MOT and the MAF sensor failed. Tester showed me that it struggled to rev. Put his foot down and sure enough it slowly went to 4krpm then cut out.

Then it went bang and my backbox split in two.

RenaultSport 172
My ph1 just failed on 6 items. 2 of which are the same as the OP. number plate light. Ordered a new unit on ebay for £10 as cleaning up the contacts and new bulb didnt work. Also had the front brakes imbalance at 46%. Bloody car had only done about 1000 miles since the last mot

172 cup
Took my old fiat coupe for an mot and the tester said there was a slight blow in the exhaust but he would let it off it was so small. Mile down the road, went over a speed bump and half the exhaust fell off!

Monaco - 172
If I were to put my 1.2 in for an MOT I reckon it'll beat that. It's actually quicker to say what does work on the car!

FF Racing Blue 182
i wonder how it past its last mot after checking it online

anyway took the car off the road for the next few months and going to sort a few niggles

so far ive fixed the light issues and picking up 2 new cup packed rear shocks on saturday for £94 and can fit them myself also got new brake pads and discs looked out that my big cuz can do for me

it helps when you know a guy good with a spanner and i can trust him because my uncle had his own garage for 22 years and he worked there

so my to do list is

new rear shocks..front pads/discs..seal up exhaust..new lamda sensors..remove tints and new abs ring that im not looking forward to doing and another few small jobs

as the clio hardly gets used id rather fix more on it than scrape it through its mot so im in no rush

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
I have an old one somewhere. Smashes any you lot have lol. It was awful lol.

I'll scan it if I find it.

motfail.jpg

Last edited:

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
god sake thats not bad for a car my age have you still got it

Oddly, I scrapped it lol After murding it of course :D. That was 18 Years ago! It was 14 years old then, look at the miles...

FF Racing Blue 182
I seen that lol that's why i wondered if you had kept it and fixed it up

Long time to keep an MOT slip

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Yip - until another fails so bad, I'll keep it for a giggle. I found out after I had bought it at auction, it was a barn find lol. Mrs Farmer had barely used it and in 1990 it was laid up. They "Dodgy" MOT'd it and flogged on 6 months later.

​Cost me £50.