ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed MOT

Clio MK1 Sport
So my Clio just went in for it's MOT and failed miserably, and not even on just one or two minor points either.

Some of it I don't entirely understand, so I was hoping you guys could perhaps shed some light on the situation, and give me an indication as to whether or not the car is even worth repairing?

First off, it's a 1997 Clio MK1 ph3 1.4 Maxim Sport (so I'm told here). It has done approx 52,000 miles and has just had new front discs + pads, new rear pads, new front bearings on both sides and a full engine service.

Took it for it's MOT and here's what it failed on:

1. Both nearside + offside front ball joints have excessive play

2. Nearside front lower coil snapped

3. Both rear brakes recording no effort (highlighted in bold with **DANGEROUS**)

4. Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive

5. Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at 2nd fast idle excessive (the mechanic said it went off the scale at one point and suspects the lambda sensor)

So, what do you guys think? Are these relatively easy and 'cheap' things to fix, or am I better off trading the car in for something else?

Megane dci 130
Worth repairing imo! Slap two new ball joints on it, a new spring, looks like you could do with a new set of rear shoe's (maybe adjusters because there crap). The emmisions is the worse bit, try cleaning the 02 sensor connection on the front of the engine before anything ;)

Clio MK1 Sport
Thanks for the suggestion Shepperdspie. Getting very mixed reactions here though.

What would somebody think is the average price for these kinds of repairs in a garage? We have a friend of the family-mechanic but he's too busy to help me out any time soon so I may have to pay the garage to sort it out.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
keep it mate! cant beat our good old maxims, lookin at the link urs looks in better nick than mine! (when i bought it lol)

But just a question about

2. Nearside front lower coil snapped

Does that mean that itll need a new spring?? if so iv got two mate so may be able to help u out there.

Mine had problems with the emissions test but apparently its just cause their so old and u cant expect anything more from them. My mate who did the mot accidentally bypassed the emissions test and passed it lol.

Pm me if u want the springs

Evo 8 MR
Make sure you take the car for a good run before you take it to be re-tested as the cat can get blocked up very easily causing incorrect levels in the gas but taking it for a good run beforehand will clear it out.

Clio MK1 Sport
Cheers Chris, PM'd you.

Is there any other way of clearing the cat out without taking the car anywhere? With no MOT, tax or insurance I don't particularly want to get pulled for driving the thing! Especially considering I only just got my licence :p

Cheers Chris, PM'd you.

Is there any other way of clearing the cat out without taking the car anywhere? With no MOT, tax or insurance I don't particularly want to get pulled for driving the thing! Especially considering I only just got my licence :p

If you get pulled, 'I'm taking it to the MOT centre'. This will work anytime of day and late night. If at night, you can be taking it to a m8s as he's a mechanic! :)

Evo 8 MR
Cheers Chris, PM'd you.

Yes, although I wouldn't recommend this method, just sit it on the path and hold the revs at about 3-4k rpm for about 3 minutes or so, that will help but isn't as effective as the other method.

ValverInBits
Do the lambda sensor, you will save yourself a bomb in petrol.

The rear brakes recording no effort is classic clio. the rear brake balancer is most probably fooked.
Remember it's a lot of hassle getting a new car.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
pm'd back mate, seeing as ur so local iv got a mate who does all my work for cheap (the one who bypassed my emissions test). Hes based in the town where u work (dont wanna give 2 much away bout where he is) but i could have a word with him if u want.

Clio MK1 Sport
Here's the weird thing with the brakes: when driving, there's nothing in the brake peddle, it goes right to the floor. When the car is standing still though, the first time you push the brake peddle it goes to the floor, do it again and it only goes half way, and again and it feels perfect. Then as soon as you move the car there're no brakes again. Any suggestions?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
that seems like a master cylinder fault. quite dangerous if it goes to the floor when driving.