ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So I messed up and I now I have loads of adverts...

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Hi, Long story short I tried to install a PS2 Emualator to relive my child hood, and ended up failing miserably. I run Windows 8.1, and Mozilla Firefox.

Every single page now has an immense amount of pop ups and adverts. They come up everywhere, the adverts are in boxes with "powered by" in small letters then it has things like "group coupon" and "deal2deal".

Google isn't the same either. It looks the same, but it has 8 squares underneath the search box with various links. Also when I search for something on google, the top 5 or 6 matches are adverts. Random words on this forum are highlighted and are "links" to shopping pages?

I have no discs etc, I dont care if I lose everything and start again, I just want a functioning web browser again :(

Thanks

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I'd want to just wipe and start again, you may never know what nasties have got onto the machine.

But you can try running stuff like Malwarebytes, AV scans etc to see what they pickup.

Here's a good start https://www.malwarebytes.org

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I had some something similar recently, Groovorio it was called! Nasty thing. I reinstalled Windows and it was still there! Ultimately had to manually delete from all browsers etc.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I had some something similar recently, Groovorio it was called! Nasty thing. I reinstalled Windows and it was still there! Ultimately had to manually delete from all browsers etc.
you didn't re-install windows correctly then, sounds like you didn't format /fdisk the drive fully first!

at OP, use malwarebytes and if that doesn't work (it probably will, but make sure you run it with windows in safe mode), use a boot time scanner like avast's.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
you didn't re-install windows correctly then, sounds like you didn't format /fdisk the drive fully first!

at OP, use malwarebytes and if that doesn't work (it probably will, but make sure you run it with windows in safe mode), use a boot time scanner like avast's.
I used the reinstall option Windows 8.1 comes with. I haven't got the means to format c:\ from scratch as I've not got a CD drive or 16Gb USB stick :(

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
safemode? lol

Is it possible to start again with no discs? I have nothing on this system of any use?

Thanks