ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

snapped key in ignition barrel. help.

Renault clio 1.2
as stated in title, ive mannaged to snap my key in the ignition barrel and its stuck in there. think i will need a new ignition barrel, locks and key. is that the best thing to do? also is there any way i can get my fuel cap off without dammaging it too much as i can still start the car with the little bit of key i have left but will need to get petrol soon. any ideas would be much appreciated.

FF Clio 182
as stated in title, ive mannaged to snap my key in the ignition barrel and its stuck in there. think i will need a new ignition barrel, locks and key. is that the best thing to do? also is there any way i can get my fuel cap off without dammaging it too much as i can still start the car with the little bit of key i have left but will need to get petrol soon. any ideas would be much appreciated.

Surely if you can start the car with the bit of key you have left then there is enough to get a pair of needle nose pliers on and pull it out? Take it to Renault they will give you a new one for a price

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Can you pull what is left of the key out to do the fuel cap, or maybe try and see if you can get a copy of it cut? Not sure how cutting new keys works if the key is broken but it might be possible?

Renault clio 1.2
i can't pull the bit of key out of the barrel, as its snapped actually inside an so there is no part sticking out.. the way i start it is pushing the little bit of key still attached to the key fob into the barrel and turning it..

Clio RS200
Bit of blu-tac on the existing part of key or a cocktail stick? Stick it in there and see if you can get it out. Magnetised flat blade screwdriver?

Renault clio 1.2
so you guys think the best thing i can do it try getting the old key out and get it molded and cut? how much would renault charge? As i've priced up a new ignition barrel, key, locks ect for £40 of ebay.

Clio RS200
I'd rather take the column to bits and get it out than changing over door locks and ignition barrels to be honest. You'll probably find that your remote locking wont work if you change keys and then you may have issues with immobilisers too.

Renault clio 1.2
The lock in the drivers door doesnt work anyway. So i just use the button on the fob. Changing the blade wouldnt effect it would it?

Clio RS200
Ah okay thought you meant changing the whole thing. Nope changing the blade will be fine. Why not try the AA?? They'd of seen this hundreds of times. You aren't the first the snap a key in the ignition and won't be the last. I'd be trying to get the old busted bit out than changing anything. If you replace it you've still gotta get the barrel out so why not just take it out to retrieve the broken bit? Give it a whirl bud

Renault clio 1.2
Its alright guys, managed to open the fuel cap with a screwdriver. no damage done. whats a rough price to get a new key cut?

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
If you get the broken blade out, you can get a new blade cut for about £10, and it'll fit into your original fob, but you need the key code - it could be on the front of your service book if you have it (mine was).

I did one last year using 'keysinthepost' http://www.keysinthepost.com/.

Renault clio 1.2
If you get the broken blade out, you can get a new blade cut for about £10, and it'll fit into your original fob, but you need the key code - it could be on the front of your service book if you have it (mine was).

I did one last year using 'keysinthepost' http://www.keysinthepost.com/.

cheers mate, will look into it in the next couple days, skint at the moment due to paying a fine, court costs, solicitor ect..

mk 2 clio
It happened to me last year. Only had the one key. Called out a locksmith and it cost 120 with a new key. But that was on a weekend. Still all the same locks and barrel in the car

mk 2 clio
The would be better. But at the time I had no other choice as i just got on from work cans had work the next day and no way of going to get some. Never a good situation either way