ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Smaller plate on 182

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Courtesy of fancyplates and the required size from threads on CS, very pleased with the much nicer fit!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346331037.158761.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346331057.568361.jpg
And the back is standard size
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346331085.006144.jpg

Looks better without a border and different font tbh.

Mmm, picked that font because it makes the 12 more like an R you see...
Wasn't expecting the font to be as big but it actually looks big because the plates small.
I like the border with the clio emblem, paid extra for that, ha ;)

Bit worried bout coppers so keeping standard one in the boot!

Clio 172, Pug 106
I got a warning for my plate the other day by a traffic cop...
Its the same size as yours... Fortunately the cop was busy dealing with a stolen car so he told me to get it changed

I got a warning for my plate the other day by a traffic cop...
Its the same size as yours... Fortunately the cop was busy dealing with a stolen car so he told me to get it changed

Tbh I reckon being in Cornwall where coppers have nothing better to do, I'll be told to change it pretty quickly, but you never know. I don't thrash about drawing attention to myself so I'm hoping they won't do me for the sake of it!

rb182 cup
personally i'd have kept it standard font on front & rear plates...smaller plates look much better than standard size

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Forgive my possible dumbness but if you get pulled over by the police and they spot your smaller plate its a possible fine, but if you keep your standard one in your boot in which you prove, would you not be admitting driving illegally, there for guaranteeing you a fine? (Genuine question)

I think "Sorry officer, I was taking pictures and forgot to swap them back" would be your best get out clause.

Otherwise, like you say, you're just admitting you knew you were in the wrong.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thats what i thought, but you'd have to be quite lucky to find an officer that would believe that.

It does fit the recess nicely and looks much better than standard, but i personally dont fancy taking the risk of getting stung on a fine.

Forgive my possible dumbness but if you get pulled over by the police and they spot your smaller plate its a possible fine, but if you keep your standard one in your boot in which you prove, would you not be admitting driving illegally, there for guaranteeing you a fine? (Genuine question)

I'm going down the
"they were bought as a birthday present from parents, really wasn't sure whether they were ok or not but felt terrible saying it so decided I'd put it on but kept standards in the boot"
then if I'm pulled I could then say I've been told to change them...
I think most police say to get them changed unless its on their system that you've been asked already and obviously ignored the request.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Sorry op but I know it's your car, and yours is the only opinion that matters, but it looks terrible IMO. Should've gone for smaller but with standard font.

FRS
Is it just me who couldnt edit the size on that site? Could be due to being on the ipad, but i agree with others should of followed the guide!

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Mine's been on over a year, passed the M.O.T, been parked outside a local police station loads of times , been past the police and works with the anpr on the works car park without an issue. It is however in the correct font and has no border, I think its the font they'll pick up on!

ph2 172
i had 'show' plates on my Sierra XR4i a few years ago and often forgot to change them back to standard after the show. Even been known to take show plates off and then got chatting and forgot to put any back on. I did get pulled once with my show plates and and told the policeman that i had been to a show and forgot to change them and the originals are in the boot and did he want me to change them there and then. He just said no, do it when you get home. But he did give me a producer to take to my local mot tester to sign saying i had done so and then i had to send it off to HQ.
Also got pulled in my XR3i too with 'fancy plates' (font was illegal) and policewoman said "they dont look like my plates?" (Yes i resisted to say the obvious!) I said to her "dont tell me you cant read them properly?" and she said......"no, i think they look nice."

Sorry op but I know it's your car, and yours is the only opinion that matters, but it looks terrible IMO. Should've gone for smaller but with standard font.

No problem bud, every opinions a valid one!! It's all subjective, I will say that this
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346353297.324381.jpg
is how it looked on their site, and what you see is how it arrived... I had expected smaller albeit non standard font...
But I'm happy none the less :)

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry but I guess I'm being a sheep I think it looks crap to put it bluntly. you are asking to be pulled over with that font. I have had no trouble what so ever from the old bill with my 3/4

front.jpg

This was my old GTO, I love that size plate, anyone care to take a stab at what size that font is and whether it's standard legal font?

Also, to add, just emailed fancy plates to say its not what i ordered, it should be a smaller font, like pictured! I was happy til i got so many negative comments, ha!! now i'm disgruntled, I do think the font looks good when its a lot smaller. If they won't do smaller size font, I'll probably go for standard UK font, but I still like the border.

Last edited:
  Twingo Dynamique
Sorry if i'm stating the possible obvious, as you probably all know but i've been told recently that you actually have to have the name of the maker of said plates on the plate itself by law (not sure how recent that is but as i understand it its fairly recent). In my opinion make your car look different but whats the point in making it illegal? i think that kinda just accepts the common stereotype of "illegal boy-racers" who have mods on their cars.. i know thats simply not the case because its all about making it individual.. but now i must dmit i've gone off on a strange rant about not very much... sorry :L

in short, in my opinion, anything illegal is a bit unnecessary and i'm not a fan myself. :)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
About tipo order a smaller front for my ph1. The recess is even smaller on the ph1 than the size on the guide

BEFORE:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350038788.612277.jpg

AFTER:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350038810.931128.jpg

Got in touch with fancy plates back when this arrived as font was bigger than expected or shown on their site.
Took a few emails, a phone call and a long wait (arrived today) but I can say that they actually made sure I was happy and sent me another plate free of charge which is really good of them.

They stated that their terms and conditions of sale meant that the design may not be exactly what's on screen and that they didn't have to send another one out, but, they would do so anyway.

So all in, good guys doing a good job, only lesson to learn is to be exact in what you want!

Much happier now the font is smaller in proportion to the plate!!

Clio Sport 182
What is the size of the front plate? As I also want one from fancy plates but don't know what size to put in the dimensions? Thanks :)

What is the size of the front plate? As I also want one from fancy plates but don't know what size to put in the dimensions? Thanks :)

It's a 520x90mm plate, you can do 98mm so there is no lip showing at all but I like it to have a little bit showing.

My original font was too big though for a small plate, the new font is 52mm, originally this is 67mm and looked too big and clumsy for my liking on the small plate!

PB Clio 172
looks very tacky IMO you are asking to be pulled, up to you if you want the hassle

If I were a cop I would pull you over cause thats my job