ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SKY Q

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
The main benefit I can see to this for me would be the multi recording at one time. I always get clashes.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
^^^ Which is the only reason we got multi room in the bedroom.

And to be fair 90% of stuff that could potentially clash downstairs can be recorded again at a different time.

We're moving house this year so we'll see what they offer.

DCi
Fair play. We've got 2 mobiles, 1 laptop, a Surface, an iPad, PS3, PS4 and smart TV all connected on 37Mb/s and it's fine... but tbh, the only thing that ever seems to get hit by slowdown is the iPad :persevere:
Part of the equation is how many people are there

You may have all of those devices but if we consider the most common connection hungry activity (streaming video) you are probably only streaming one thing at a time

If the iPad is the only thing struggling could be poor wifi signal

Anyway - sky Q - I'm mid contract and heavily discounted so not interested. I'm expecting fibre to be deployed in my area in 6-12 months so want to put myself in the best position to get a discount on that when it turns up so might let my contract finish... Rate will go up and if fibre seems close I'll say to sky I want to leave as another provider offers a new customer deal much cheaper etc etc

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
I really wanted Sky Q for the new house but really could not justify the silly amount they wanted for it.

I've been able to get the Sky Complete bundle (with Sports and Movies) / HD / Unlimited Fibre and talk evenings for £59 a month so not bad imo, especially as I'm paying nearly £90 now with Virgin!

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I've been able to get the Sky Complete bundle (with Sports and Movies) / HD / Unlimited Fibre and talk evenings for £59 a month so not bad imo, especially as I'm paying nearly £90 now with Virgin!

How do you go about getting such a deal? I pay £52 ish a month for 'Family Bundle with HD' only! BT have my broadband and line.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Use the code "GETSKYNOW" - I'm a new customer so I'm sure that helps, it's a 12 month contract so I'll cancel if they can't continue at that price!

Clio200 EDC Lux
Just been looking at this too, bloody expensive probably going to wait till may as that when my discounts ends so will probably try the "I'm leaving" line.
Also did any read the small print, the Sky Q boxes are loaned to you and are not owned

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Whats expensive about this?

The monthly cost or the up front cost?

Is it available for non sky internet users yet?

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Whats expensive about this?

The monthly cost or the up front cost?

Is it available for non sky internet users yet?
Up front. Its not expensive at all monthly, if you already have sports etc. Was like £2 extra pm for me but £150 upfront. BUT cant even get it yet cause i dont want their internet.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Monthly cost isn't bad at all tbh as we have the full package currently with 2 multiroom boxes. The issue is upfront it was going to cost us £249 and they will not budge on the installing costs. £99 for an extra box install. I asked what we get for that and it was "they come and check your wireless signal in the room you want it and set it up"... Errr no thanks.

Excluding setup cost is £10 cheaper than we currently pay

Suppose it depends what package you're on originally. Mine was an extra £25 a month when I priced it up, not worth it.
It could be wrong though as I don't have sky bb yet their site would have let me proceed with the order...

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Ive had SKY Q installed today

Been messing around for a few hours now

Looks so much better that the old GUI, flows so much better for box sets and catch up TV, not 100% sure I like the pop up scroll box on the new system as the old seems a lot more easier to navigate to another channel without changing the channel.

Has worked seamlessly from my main box to the minibox in my man cave when pausing programs and carrying on on another device and my iPad has full access to everything which is great.

New remote I personally really like, will take some getting used to but will become second nature in no time really. They actually give you three new remotes - one touch, one non touch and the smaller one for the minibox.

All in all I'm quite happy Has cost me the setup Fee + £12PM extra

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I spent an evening playing with this at my mates the other night. It really doesn't do anything that ground breaking imo.

It'll be really good for some people but still...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'm surprised they didn't match it - If I was told that I'd be straight onto cancellations, that usually get them giving....

We'll be moving in a couple of months I hope - be interesting to see what they do.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Until there's some 4K offering I'm really not interested, we don't have or want multi-room and to be honest with Netflix and Amazon already I'm not sure what extra it will bring?
It'd be interesting to see what 4K they provide, currently there's very little around and the majority is Netflix original series.
There's BT sport obviously, but since I've no interest in watching it in the fist place it's not really an incentive to me.

I worry that if they do bring 4K content like movies and sport you'll then have to sign up to the requisite packages to actually watch them.

I'd bet some nature programs would be mental in 4K though, that'd be cool to watch.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ive had SKY Q installed today

Been messing around for a few hours now

Looks so much better that the old GUI, flows so much better for box sets and catch up TV, not 100% sure I like the pop up scroll box on the new system as the old seems a lot more easier to navigate to another channel without changing the channel.

Has worked seamlessly from my main box to the minibox in my man cave when pausing programs and carrying on on another device and my iPad has full access to everything which is great.

New remote I personally really like, will take some getting used to but will become second nature in no time really. They actually give you three new remotes - one touch, one non touch and the smaller one for the minibox.

All in all I'm quite happy Has cost me the setup Fee + £12PM extra
Did they replace the lnb on the dish?
I was going to get it until I read they had to do that and it loses support for freesat. This isn't a problem for me but I have a shared dish as its an apartment block so I can't just upgrade it myself. :(

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Am I right in thinking this is now released for non Sky Broadband customers/

Yup. We had it fitted when we moved house around a month ago. When looking initially at getting it we were gonna be £250 install and an extra £6 a month. However we spoke to the Sky guy with the wee stall in the Town Centre and we ended up being £60 for installation and £6 a month less. Worth talking to one of these guys if you are interested.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Yup. We had it fitted when we moved house around a month ago. When looking initially at getting it we were gonna be £250 install and an extra £6 a month. However we spoke to the Sky guy with the wee stall in the Town Centre and we ended up being £60 for installation and £6 a month less. Worth talking to one of these guys if you are interested.
Thats a good tip. Usually tell them to f**k off. lol.

How do you find Sky Q over the old setup?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I like the new UI though the main box has been a bit temperamental with freezing and needing switched off at the wall. Though since doing a software update at the start of the week its been ok (Touches wood).

The only negative is the inability to fast forward to a particular time in a recording.

Also didn't think we'd really need to be able to record 4 things at the same time but theres a few nights a week where we need it now.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I like the new UI though the main box has been a bit temperamental with freezing and needing switched off at the wall. Though since doing a software update at the start of the week its been ok (Touches wood).

The only negative is the inability to fast forward to a particular time in a recording.

Also didn't think we'd really need to be able to record 4 things at the same time but theres a few nights a week where we need it now.
Sure enough as you said. The guy offered £60 upfront and £6 off the main package.

This will mean I pay £28 a month more than I'm paying now. Is it worth that? Plus an 18 month commitment. Surely they will come down over the coming months.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The guy that came to fit ours said that they were struggling to meet the demand for Q so short term I don't foresee a sizeable price drop.

How are you £28 more if your £6 a month less? We got a 12 month deal also.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
The guy that came to fit ours said that they were struggling to meet the demand for Q so short term I don't foresee a sizeable price drop.

How are you £28 more if your £6 a month less? We got a 12 month deal also.
Because of the discount I currently get.

For a Sky Silver package it's £32 a month more than what I am currently paying plus £6 less discount that he offered means I pay £26 a month extra. Just not sure its worth it, is it?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I finally just upgraded to Sky Q. I'm glad I waited as they've carried my 50% discount over. So yes I have to pay the upfront cost but its costing me no more each month. Result

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
We've had SKYQ for a few months now, the worst thing about it is the mini box, constantly crashing and needing to be turned on/off - other than that.. when its working its fantastic.

Although.. not having 'favorites' drives me mad as I don't know the channel numbers and im constantly having to goto the tv guide. and I wish you could programme the software to your own needs, ie everytime I goto the home button it go to top picks or something.. I would prefer it to go straight to the TV guide, and for the HD tv guide to come up first rather than more scrolling.

And im still trying to get used to the UBER sensitive Bluetooth remote