ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SKY Q

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
I called them today and threatened to cancel. They have called an engineer out for two weeks time and credited my account with £50.

I know there is no safety issue with these boxes but I can't believe they have released these boxes with such an issue.

Knowing the issue exists and continuing to sell them is boarder line illegal to be honest.

I have been attempting to chat with them today numerous times, waiting for an hour before getting bored on live chat, tweeted my frustration to them was told to call and again waiting an hour in the queue before I gave up and hung up! Will try again tomorrow otherwise will have to be an email complaint and wait for a call back!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I have been attempting to chat with them today numerous times, waiting for an hour before getting bored on live chat, tweeted my frustration to them was told to call and again waiting an hour in the queue before I gave up and hung up! Will try again tomorrow otherwise will have to be an email complaint and wait for a call back!
Call tomorrow mate but speak to the retentions/cancellations team. They will take it more seriously.

SQ5
1989. Thick brick internal walls throughout, one mini box downstairs in the girl's playroom, one upstairs in our bedroom.

The WiFi survey showed all three boxes are equidistant from each other so the signal to and from all can go either way, direct or via the other box.

BT home hub is our router if that makes any difference.

That's the kind of house they are designed for, as no one with any knowledge would ever say to use wifi over an Ethernet connection like Sky Q does. In a standard house it works fine, but the 6+ bedroom Manor Houses etc.. we work on just can't handle it at all.

One engineer wanted to dot a Sky Booster in every room up until it got to the Mini box four rooms away!

I think half the problem also is that a satellite engineer is not a network engineer so they expect it to woke everywhere.

This product has been released at least a year too early in my opinion, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to upgrade just yet.

Better off buying a Darbee for a standard box

A shiny black one.
I was going to go back to sky and get rid of my Virgin Tv, looks like they are now only offering Q, I don't want to go from s**t to s**t, and from what I've been reading it's a bit s**t. I think they've done away with their old stuff a bit too early.

SQ5
Have they stopped it now? That's a bit preemptive of them!

Luckily I've got 3 HD boxes ready to go if mine fail!

Surely they're not changing a premium for it now then if it's the only option?

A shiny black one.
It appears so, I was going to switch back to them with the Sky HD+ stuff and maybe pick up Q next year. Priced it up and they're charging £92 per month for the box sets bundle with movies and sports in HD and one multiroom box. Set up is £60. I don't know how that compares to pre Q prices.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
My parents have just today had a standard hd box installed on a new install so they are still selling the older boxes still.

A shiny black one.
Depends when they ordered it, it's not on their website anymore so whether they're now no longer taken orders is anyone's guess.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I have been thinking of going back to multi room which atm is buy a box for £200 quid and £10.89 a month or whatever it is. Am I better off having the skyQ thing instead. The offer today is the 2TB box for a one off cost of £60 and then £12 a month.

SQ5
I have been thinking of going back to multi room which atm is buy a box for £200 quid and £10.89 a month or whatever it is. Am I better off having the skyQ thing instead. The offer today is the 2TB box for a one off cost of £60 and then £12 a month.

Where are you seeing that as Sky website only shows Q?

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I have HD and I remember on my bill that HD and multi room were about the same cost @DannyR.
The cost of the box is for me going back about 2 yrs when I last had the multi room fitted in my down stairs tv room/study.
It just seams that Q is the way forward and I was looking for a bit of advice in the right direction so to speak.

SQ5
I have HD and I remember on my bill that HD and multi room were about the same cost @DannyR.
The cost of the box is for me going back about 2 yrs when I last had the multi room fitted in my down stairs tv room/study.
It just seams that Q is the way forward and I was looking for a bit of advice in the right direction so to speak.

Ahh ok, in that case I think your only option is now an "upgrade" to Sky Q

Audi S1
I was thinking to upgrade to Sky Q in the new year once I'm settle in at my new place, might hold fire a little longer!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Naaa 99% of the time it just works - the latest update has solved my recording issues.

Although I rewound a program this morning and it refused to stop doing it - just kept going, had to power it off!

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has been fine since I worked a way around my Mini box crashing.

As for the remote controls. f**king s**t!! Thats all.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
The touch one is s**t but the others work well. Havent had any problems in a long while now.

I prefer the touch one personally.

I've had zero issues with either box or remotes since install a few weeks ago, no freezing etc that others seem to have been having. Seems like a really polished product (well compared to TiVo that really isn't hard!)

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I just can't get on with it. I can't find the volume or channel buttons in the dark. Its a nightmare.

They had perfected the old one over many many years now produce this piece of s**t.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Just got Sky Q (with 2TB box, sports, cinema and multiroom/mini q box) and seems good so far.

Still not entirely sure what the main pluses are except for multi screen/device viewing. The remote is a nice touch but I prefer the old one!

So much better than BT that's all I know! I hated BT, its awful.

Still not 100% sure what Sky Q is to be honest but it was a good deal

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm looking at getting Sky Q at the moment, not sure if I've read it wrong but it looks to me like you don't pay anymore per month for the main box + 2 mini boxes than you do for the main + 1 mini. I'm looking at Fibre Max, Main 2TB box, 2 mini boxes, variety pack which works out at the moment around £70p/m, not sure if that can be improved upon, going to call them tomorrow.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Is the Q box a waste of time over the HD box if you don't have a 4K TV yet?
Not at all. I don't have a 4K TV and these are the positives I've found.

- Record 4 things and watch a 5th
- 1 planner for whole house. Pause something downstairs and carry it on upstairs
- Nicer interface
- Split screen Sports
- Sky Q App. Download anything recorded to watch on the go

I'm sure there are some more but they are the main ones.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Not at all. I don't have a 4K TV and these are the positives I've found.

- Record 4 things and watch a 5th
- 1 planner for whole house. Pause something downstairs and carry it on upstairs
- Nicer interface
- Split screen Sports
- Sky Q App. Download anything recorded to watch on the go

I'm sure there are some more but they are the main ones.
Cheers. It doesn't actually cost me much more to upgrade, probably a few quid a month. Might as well.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
This is exactly why we did it. I'm hoping to get a 4k bargain on black Friday at the end of this month though.

Want 58 inches, wife says too big, I say be quiet.
Same. Our next purchase is a 4K TV, as soon as stuff with the baby settles down.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
We bought a 4K TV last weekend, the old one was 50" with probably a 2 inch bezel whereas the new one is 50" with virtually no bezel so effectively a 'smaller' TV. Perhaps should have gone for 55" but i didn't want to spend more due to the impending move and the amount of money i'll be spending on everything else.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
We bought a 4K TV last weekend, the old one was 50" with probably a 2 inch bezel whereas the new one is 50" with virtually no bezel so effectively a 'smaller' TV. Perhaps should have gone for 55" but i didn't want to spend more due to the impending move and the amount of money i'll be spending on everything else.

This is what I tried explaining to her before resorting to "Sssshhhhhhhhh".

50mm bezel and 50 inches versus 5mm bezel and 58 inches = approx 70mm wider overall and almost exactly the same height wise.

The 55 inch models I looked at were the same width as my old 50 but about 50mm less height.

Man logic will win the day.

A shiny black one.
Had mine installed today, very impressed so far. Did anyone else get told by the engineer that the sky remote won't turn the the off, only on + volume controls, well mine did. Didn't have the heart to tell him you hold the power button down.

Listerine & Poledo
Had mine installed today, very impressed so far. Did anyone else get told by the engineer that the sky remote won't turn the the off, only on + volume controls, well mine did. Didn't have the heart to tell him you hold the power button down.

lol, top sleuthing ;)

Does the remote still have an IR beam on it? If so you can probably programme it do use any TV, just that out of the box it wont always work.

A shiny black one.
lol, top sleuthing :wink:

Does the remote still have an IR beam on it? If so you can probably programme it do use any TV, just that out of the box it wont always work.
Yes it has an IR beam, although I had to use my phone camera to find it, the remotes don't have the usual IR cap at the end of the remote.
I get the programming bit, he did it, one press of the power button gets the sky box and the tv on together, however another press will only turn the sky box off. I asked the fella if it'll turn the tv off, he was adamant it doesn't which is just strange. When he left the room I held the power button down and boom, tv off.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Do the mini boxes require line of sight with the remote? 2 out of 3 of my TVs will be wall mounted and I'd like for the mini box to be out of sight mounted to the back of the TV, I've seen a pic online of someone having done that but would like confirmation.

A shiny black one.
They seem to give out a pretty strong beam, I can point the remote behind me and down to the floor and it still gets through to the box, I have to really cover the end of the remote with my whole hand to stop it working. I can't see it being an issue having the unit behind the tv, unless it's a f**king huge tv.

SQ5
Having a 'source' button on the Q remote is handy too.

TV then Help did this on the old remotes ;)

Do the mini boxes require line of sight with the remote? 2 out of 3 of my TVs will be wall mounted and I'd like for the mini box to be out of sight mounted to the back of the TV, I've seen a pic online of someone having done that but would like confirmation.

If it's wifi it won't work very well mounted sideways we've found. IR is fine you just point to the wall the side it's on or face it up to the ceiling.

When we mounted behind a TV with the router 2 metres away it just did not work at all.