ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

side wall of my tyre! safe or not!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok i have an "activaty day" booked up very soon

http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldactivity&month=20070701

and i have a slight issue with one of my rear tyres, i have been driving with this for a year now. Quick fit said its not a problem as i have not damaged any strings, which are the important part of a tyre.

safe or not safe - im getting 4 new tyres the day after the event

27062007577.jpg

27062007578.jpg

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j185/andy_con/?action=view&current=27062007578.jpg

RB 182
I've had a nail in both rear tyre for over 3 months now and no problems... just make sure you check the pressure every now and again... Don't cane it around corners too... as long as no stress is being put on it then it should be ok i guess?? doenst look like a deep cut or anything...

M2 Competition
Strings or not that bit of the tyre is gonna be way weaker than the rest.

I wouldnt do a trackday on that.

M2 Competition
Also, if an accident was caused due to that tyre and the insurance could see you were negligent in not replacing it, im guessing they wouldnt be too happy about paying out...

BMW E46 330i Touring
It's all well and good a tyre fitters saying it's fine, but it's not their safety / neck on the line if it goes pop mid-way through a track day.

I've got plenty of nicks in the tyre wall on my fronts, and it's fine for steady daily driving, but I wouldn't trust that under any significant pressure. Think of the the forces your tyre wall goes through when you give it some round a tight corner.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
dont worry about insurance im not getting it for the "activity day"

its not a track day as such, its handling and braking etc LOL

pug 106 rallye S2
for the small cost of tyres i would replace them... had rear blow on me pickup and it was interesting to say the least! hate it to happen in something as relativly quick as a clio cornering.. think of the damage bill....
i just paid £37ea for yokohama 539's in 16"
brand new... can only get limited numbers though, and they are sourced legally!!

RB 182
dont worry about insurance im not getting it for the "activity day"

its not a track day as such, its handling and braking etc LOL

What do you mean exactly? What will the car be doing and at what speeds? Its to risky and IF it were going round a corner at over 70mph... God help you if it blows and rolls!

Breaking A 172 Replica
Even if it is fine and nothing does come of it, will you really be able to enjoy the day as much with that at the back of your mind?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I agree with most above...get it changed.

You have a responsibility on days like that to make sure your car is fit for the purpose and safe. You'll have to sign an indemnity form saying so.

If the trackday/car limits organisor saw your tyre like that, or it was pointed out by another participant (which is not unlikely), they'd send you home. With no refund.

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
pop down to Kwick fit, they may let you have one that had been changed for a new one on somebody elses car for a couple of £'s. (if they have any of course)

worth a try at least

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Get a spare wheel & tyre.

I would of binned that months ago, i value my life. ;)