ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Show Your Home Theater

BMW F31
Can't wait to hear the difference, the Denon AVR gets great reviews for the price. :D

I bought the AVR1912 with a Tannoy 5.1 setup a couple of months back, does sound very good compared to a friends onkyo, it sounds a lot brighter at the top end. The Audyssey Multi EQ helps with that I think and it's what made my mind up when purchasing. Certainly very happy with mine.

BMW F31
Pic of my humble setup

5ad203dd-e7bd-77fb.jpg
5ad203dd-e7c8-8d02.jpg
5ad203dd-e7dc-8b5b.jpg

BMW F31
Forgot to add my kit list;

LG 32LC56
Denon AVR 1912
Tannoy HTS101 5.1
Sky+ HD
Sony BDP-S360
Apple TV
Xbox 360
Netgear readynas duo for streaming films and iTunes library

Tv will be the next to be upgraded but wedding comes first...

2014 Focus Titanium
Nice set up Millsy!

I went into the shop yesterday and did a great deal with the owner (I know him and there was some two-way business to be done) and he said for my budget he can get me a Denon 3312 + SPC-10 Sub + 10.CC Centre, or I can have Denon 1912 + SPC-10 + 10.CC and keep £250 in my pocket. I'm a bit skint so I'm tempted with the second option, and I also asked on AVForums who said it's pointless getting the 3312 because my wharfedale fronts just aren't good enough.

I won't be upgrading the fronts for at least a year, I can't make my mind up! If the 3312 isn't going to make any difference for the next 12 months I would rather keep the £250, but what if it does?

BMW F31
Hmm, difficult one, I've got to admit I'm not familiar with the 3312, if you're going to be upgrading the fronts for sure and the 3312 will be better then it may pay to invest in it, tbh the 1912 is a fantastic unit. what sort of speakers are you going to be looking at upgrading to?

2014 Focus Titanium
Well if I was to upgrade the fronts it would be in a years time when this business deal rolls around again and I would probably go for some B&W 685s or something similar. But until then it would be my wharfedales only. Tough one!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Nice set up Millsy!

I went into the shop yesterday and did a great deal with the owner (I know him and there was some two-way business to be done) and he said for my budget he can get me a Denon 3312 + SPC-10 Sub + 10.CC Centre, or I can have Denon 1912 + SPC-10 + 10.CC and keep £250 in my pocket. I'm a bit skint so I'm tempted with the second option, and I also asked on AVForums who said it's pointless getting the 3312 because my wharfedale fronts just aren't good enough.

I won't be upgrading the fronts for at least a year, I can't make my mind up! If the 3312 isn't going to make any difference for the next 12 months I would rather keep the £250, but what if it does?

Even if the Wharfdales aren't good enough as such they will still sound better through a better amp. I don't get that part.
Also I'd also consider getting a Onkyo TX NR609 over the the Denon 1912 unless you need Airplay as it seems to get better reviews....

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
My set up at the moment is -

Samsung d8000 46
Denon 1912
Kef kht 1505 surround speakers and sub
ps3
Sky+

Love the amp and the airplay is brilliant, use it all the time, syncs perfect with my macbook, Really impressed with the whole lot tbh, Great surround for films and good for music as well!

2014 Focus Titanium
Even if the Wharfdales aren't good enough as such they will still sound better through a better amp. I don't get that part.
Also I'd also consider getting a Onkyo TX NR609 over the the Denon 1912 unless you need Airplay as it seems to get better reviews....

I would consider the 609 but the company I am getting from don't supply Onkyo, they are quite niche (Rotel, Rega, B&W, Linn, Naim) and I was lucky that Denon was one of the manufacturers they supply. From the reviews I have seen it's negligible differences between the 609, some people prefer the Onkyo some the Denon. Either will be fantastic compared to what I have at the moment (Onkyo 308).

BMW F31
Agreed, there's very little difference between the 609 and the 1912, the main ones which stood out to me were airplay (irrelevant if you have apple tv) and the audyssey multi eq which measures all channels on the 1912 rather than just the fronts on the 609. After that it comes down to what you prefer to listen to, I demo'd both hence I bought the 1912. As you say either will be a step up from the 308!

Mini Cooper S
I've got a Panasonic plasma & link my laptop up for media etc.. What would be a decent surround sound entry set up for under £200?
It's for my bedroom, nothing too mad.

DB.

BMW 440i
This thread needs more posts.

I'll be upgrading mine in the next couple of months, full room is being redecorating, new tv, new home cinema set up, new tv unit. Full works.

Looking for inspiration!

If anyone hasn't already, sign up to Houzz (Google it). Some AMAZING home design/home cinema stuff on their. (Mostly design)

DB.

BMW 440i
This is the TV I'm looking at ordering soon.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ue55es8000-full-hd-55-led-3d-tv-12371896-pdt.html - Looks EPIC in real life, such amazing picture quality, really sold me over the 55" LG I was looking at which was a bit cheaper.

Not sure what to do with regards to sound though, would be willing to spend a further £300ish to make sure I have a great sound set up, although I don't want speakers dotted all over the place. Can easily stretch that for a cracking product though.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
cineroom4small.jpg

Epson EMP-TW3200 - 100" Screen
Kenwood KRF-5050 5.1 surround sound AV Amp.
Vibe Active subwoofer
Mission fronts, centre & rear are custom.
Xbox 360 w/WMC Server
Sony 3D Blu-ray player

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Guessing thats a cinema room, as opposed to the living room?

both tbh. I install Home Cinemas as part of my job and have installed many into living rooms; I always suggest the Epsons in these cases as they beam out enough light that you can watch comfortably with the curtains open/lights on.

DB.

BMW 440i
What would you recommend for sound, to support the TV i have posted above. I don't want huge blocks, just subtle as possible with very good quality.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
What would you recommend for sound, to support the TV i have posted above. I don't want huge blocks, just subtle as possible with very good quality.

To be honest, for AV, any DD5.1+ amp will be fine provided the rms wattage is 50+ and you use a good sub-woofer (active). If you want quality, choose a THX certified amp. I prefer medium sized front speakers - I know companies like Bose etc use little cube speakers, but in my opinion these just don't produce enough of the lower mids and the sound just sounds like someone has turned the bass and treble controls right up. Also frequencies in the lower-mid range are directional and thus can't be replicated properly by the sub woofer.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
This is the TV I'm looking at ordering soon.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/samsung-ue55es8000-full-hd-55-led-3d-tv-12371896-pdt.html - Looks EPIC in real life, such amazing picture quality, really sold me over the 55" LG I was looking at which was a bit cheaper.

Not sure what to do with regards to sound though, would be willing to spend a further £300ish to make sure I have a great sound set up, although I don't want speakers dotted all over the place. Can easily stretch that for a cracking product though.

You can still bag these for £300 which is a bargain;).

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...t-extensions&gclid=CMG3w8Dt7bUCFeXKtAodGU8AEQ

Add a half decent AV amp and you'd have a cracking setup...

clio 172 cup
What is the sound quality like with sports/movies with this, in comparison to the normal tv sound quality?

Update ... its a 55" sony above. either way back to your question. The simple 2.1 bose system i have has fantastic sound quality, you certainly appreciate the extra bass.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I don't suggest anyone by a 2.1 system for AV, and I as I have said before, I wouldn't recommend Bose unless its just a sub as they are very good. Nearly all content is mastered in DD5.1+ so you might as well make use of it. Believe me it is work it. Downmixing is never a good idea.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I don't suggest anyone by a 2.1 system for AV, and I as I have said before, I wouldn't recommend Bose unless its just a sub as they are very good. Nearly all content is mastered in DD5.1+ so you might as well make use of it. Believe me it is work it. Downmixing is never a good idea.

I wouldn't go that far tbh. Acoustimass subs are poor at best!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I wouldn't go that far tbh. Acoustimass subs are poor at best!

Yes your right, not sure what I was thinking for a second there. Moment of madness. Trouble with bose subs is that they often seem to be outputting the same frequency due tot he poor design (much like that article explains).

Mines pretty basic in comparison to most, but it's enough for me.

Living room

Samsung 51" 3D Plasma
Onkyo 7.1 amp
Sky HD
Apple TV3

8582852670_e15feba640_b.jpg

8581754481_f4d5ff7748_b.jpg

Bedroom 1

Samsung 32" LCD
Apple TV2
PS3

8581757167_eed19e46d4_b.png

Kitchen

Bowers & Wilkins ZeppelinAir

8581755643_9643ff6182_b.jpg

4TB Media PC to stream from

8582858644_929c8ba311_b.png

DB.

BMW 440i
Can you change channel through the tv stand in the living room or does it need to be open?

Doesn't need to be open.

Not sure if you can see it, but there's a small IR sensor in front of the centre speaker, that sends the IR into the cabinet.

I've had this cabinet for 2/3 years now, I hate seeing cables/2million LEDs when trying to watch TV.