ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Shell V-Power Nitro+

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Its a shame the shell garage near me is f**king useless half the time most the pumps aren't even working and the one or 2 that are is just normal fuel.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Been putting this in over the last week, can't notice and difference in comparison to V-power or the Tesco stuff, although the Clio does seem to be drinking it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've played with F4R engines now for 13 or so years and i've yet to see a ringland failure, Chip comes along and sees about 10 LOL, strange old world, i blame the southerners with their soft air and gay petrol ;)
lol.

​Seen a few but not ten yet personally.

Only northerners would use 95 when the filler flap says 98. The experts can fight amongst themselves over ringland failures, but since Renault don't give a s**t about their thrones or steering wheels, I'd be inclined to take at least take a passing interest in their recommendation that we use high octane fuels in their engines.

Clio 182
Re: Shell Nitro+

I was baffled by your MPG till I realised it was a 1.2 lol ! Still pretty impressive Mpg wise !

Haha I did exactly the same thing. I've filled up with nitro twice and haven't noticed its being any better/worse than bp ultimate or tesco momentum, for both performance and mpg :)

Haha I did exactly the same thing. I've filled up with nitro twice and haven't noticed its being any better/worse than bp ultimate or tesco momentum, for both performance and mpg :)

See I've always ran my religiously on tesco momentum because its the only place close to me that sells it and fairly decent for the money !

can you remember how much this was a litre?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

I was running it yesterday for the rolling road and expected lower figures than last time since ambient temps were a bit higher and I run 30c above ambient due to my poor intercooler, yet I ran 2bhp and 2lbft more, down to the fuel? who knows.

was running Tesco momentum last time

Clio 182

See I've always ran my religiously on tesco momentum because its the only place close to me that sells it and fairly decent for the money !

can you remember how much this was a litre?

in all honest mate I never look price per litre I just go wherever I'm closest too at the time I get to a 1/4 of a tank and fill up lol. Price doesn't bother me I just buy the better stuff as it does seem to last longer :p

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
Filled it up today with Nitro+, I thought they moved it in quickly, so I imagined it was just re-marketed V-power.

'Drippy' as I like to call him, behind the till tried to tell me it was 99.9Ron.

Though on my usual commute to work I noticed got about+5 more MPG. (Always stick it on cruise control at 70)

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have been to two shell garages and asked about this.

The leaflet on the counter says 99 octane with 25% more 'friction modifiers'?? (apparently to reduce friction in critical engine areas??)

​I have just put a full tank of this Nitro+ in the car so will give it a good run through the week and see how it feels.

Both people in both garages have said that the tanks have had it for a few weeks now but they are waiting on the branding and new pump logos as its still just classed as V-Power

Last edited:
  ff cup ur 200
ive put two tanks of this in my 200 now and i got 55 litres in today so im guessing my car has a 60 litre tank, used it at cadwell earlier in the wk and car ran mint but that could be the fact that the name has nitro in it :approve:

rs clio 182
Only northerners would use 95 when the filler flap says 98. The experts can fight amongst themselves over ringland failures, but since Renault don't give a s**t about their thrones or steering wheels, I'd be inclined to take at least take a passing interest in their recommendation that we use high octane fuels in their engines.
im northerner n ive never ran my 182 on anything less than 99 (tesco ftw) but i used vpower nitro+ for past couple of days and the car feels more responsive and idles a lot smoother than normal plus it pops its tits off when its cold with the nitro in haha :)

BG Clio 182 - Recaro
What i dont understand is what have they done with the old vpower? have they just emptied the tanks? cant imagine this as would cost alot so is each station getting it when there tanks getting low? then filling up with the new stuff? as both the shells by me have it so i was wondering if this was a false advertise until the tanks getting empty :)

rs clio 182
The shell I go to had no normal vpower for a few day before they put the new stuff out so I'm assuming they just waited for the old stuff to run out

Ibiza FR Edition
I saw 40MPG on a tank that I was only expecting to see 37-38 from as it was mixed driving, could just be as a result of traffic conditions etc though, doesn't feel any different from V-Power, but seeing as I used V-Power anway shall carry on using it.

Clio 182 FF
V-Power Nitro+ launched on 18th April, but actually people had it in their tanks for a little while already without knowing. Shouldn’t notice any difference as the nitro word refers to nitrogen containing components which are for cleanliness rather than any extra performance.
I paid 140.9 for it last week (compared with 132.9 for regular) and also they were handing out vouchers for 10p off per-litre of V-Power valid in May when you spend >£40.

According to Shell:
"Contains 25% more friction modifiers than our previous Shell V-Power formulation. This technology is designed to instantly reduce friction in critical engine areas. Shell V-Power Nitro+ Unleaded is a 99 octane (RON) formulation."

172 Cup
I noticed the 'Nitro +' branding on the pumps when I last filled up. Can't say I've experienced a change in performance though!

So long as you don't engage your Nitro too early you should be fine. This fuel will then guarantee the world outside your car goes super blurry.

Oh and you need to make sure you're double clutching and not granny shifting. Maximum results.

BG 182 FF
Shouldn't make any difference, unless you're mapped for 99 RON. I run it because the car is mapped for 98 and it's pretty close :p I haven't seen any difference between it and the old V-power.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Got some the other day, thought it was V-power as I wasn't paying attention tbh, didnt last long mind you, same mpg, around 34 from mixed driving.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
If anyone can enlighten me as to how higher octane fuels can make a normally aspirated cars engine run 'better', then i'm all ears.

If anyone can enlighten me as to how higher octane fuels can make a normally aspirated cars engine run 'better', then i'm all ears.

TBF surely the thread is already full of information? It's more resistant to detonation, and so any modern engine won't have to adjust ignition timing so much in order to prevent knock.

For sure the average owner isn't really going to notice any difference, but just because they like cheap fuel and can't feel a difference, does not mean they are correct in their views of higher octane fuels.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I think it's a good thing running the N/A engine on better stuff, the Clio 197/200 are high revving engines. If its going to help the knock sensor, then that's a good enough reason for me.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Maybe in the days of old Roy, but surely these days the 95 octane rated fuels are ample for a 17 year old design (F4R)?

Marketing and placebo come rushing to mind i think.

Well yes I suppose, but there's a 98RON sticker in the filler flap of a 182, and Renault aren't exactly known for giving a s**t about longevity.

172 Cup
Maybe in the days of old Roy, but surely these days the 95 octane rated fuels are ample for a 17 year old design (F4R)?

17 years old maybe, but the design specified the use of higher octane fuel nonetheless.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Well yes I suppose, but there's a 98RON sticker in the filler flap of a 182, and Renault aren't exactly known for giving a s**t about longevity.

Good point, having rolling roaded all my Clio's i've found figures consistent, again, i've no idea if thats an indication of whether that's good, bad or indifferent?

17 years old maybe, but the design specified the use of higher octane fuel nonetheless.

More than likely mate - the bulk of them are run on 95 without issue i would say though?

DB.

BMW 440i

This x 1,000,000.

Won't impact on a normal road car, even if it did, what benefit are you really going to notice, shaving 1/1000th off your traffic light grand prix starting time.