ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Selling a 182...

Da

Less

Now Ive noticed over the last few months a strangely high number of less than a year old these 182 thingies coming up for sale. I dont just mean on here, but local papers and AutoTrader too etc... I was just wondering why really?? Is it such a big let down? Whats the main reason for sale that people spend ~£12K on a 182 then sell on within a year to 18 months?? Debt maybe?? Who knows.

Can people who have sold up already please post their reasons as Im intrigued what the problems/reasons are?

Cheers.

i sold mine coz it was fecking totally unreliable, and had a list of things go wrong with it as long as my arm, and renault uk and there garages were crap in helping me , also the build was crappy and got sick of all the rattles and engine noise

Mini Cooper S sport

Mine was only 4 months old when I bought it - the guy had paid full list price for it and decided it wasnt quick enough so got an Elise instead.

Da

Less

ok, cheers for the replies guys,

So far weve got

Too small
Unreliable
Poor build quality
Poor customer relations
Poor performance

Keep adding guys, this list could well influence my choice of next car! Think JT should take a good look at this post too!

MKIII 138

Quote: Originally posted by Daz_2427 on 07 August 2005

ok, cheers for the replies guys,

So far weve got

Too small
Unreliable
Poor build quality
Poor customer relations
Poor performance

Keep adding guys, this list could well influence my choice of next car! Think JT should take a good look at this post too!
those two are down to personal choice imo. its fine for me 5ft 7" . performance ?? well depends its no ATOM but its good fuel, good insurance, and sixty in 6.7 with 100 in 17secs. fine for me.

BMW 120i Sport

I considered selling mine too, because the novelty of a new car started to wear off. Everyone gets itchy feat, particularly if you can afford to change your car.

Additionally, much is said and debated about "182 vs another-car", but to be honest; I very rarely (if ever) get a chance to stretch my 182 to what its capable of - its a gatso jungle out there. For example, I reset my trip computer and took a drive to Edinburgh and back via the M8. Average speed? 34 mph. Says it all.

Other cars ive considered replacing with are:

Passat TDi 130 - bigger car for going to the golf club, economy, build quality, luxury toys, carry more adults - 190 bhp remap ;)

BMW 330ci - 182 speed in a luxury package, again more space and bigger boot for the golf club.

Audi TT 225 - i need to get the hairdresser out of my system at some point in life. No space, so too impractical.

Saying the 182 has poor performance is lame, it just clearly wasnt enough for the dude that bought the Elise but the 182 is quick enough for most, especially our roads.

I need 182 performance in a bigger car, thats my issue; so "too small".

Edit: oh, and it attracts too much unwelcome attention from neds in my local cruise scene who drive up my arse at any given opportunity.

[Edited by Big G on 8/7/2005 2:54:47 PM]

i dont think there poor performers either, and the size thing i think is more about the car in general as im 6 3" and fit in it perfect but nobody can sit behind me

I sold mine because Im emigrating (as soon as the damn house sells!). Had zero problems with it and loved every minute - in fact I miss it so much Im seriously thinking about buying a Trophy and taking it with me!! (although it will be alot of hassle)

Elise/VX220/R26

I think its the same with a lot of performance cars, sometimes people buy them on the spur of the moment and really whenthey start paying the insurance and running them they cant actually afford it. I think an important factor at the moment is that the new model is looming on the horizon and people are trying to minimise the big depreciation bump that will come when the new RS comes out. That was one of the reasons I sold my 172, also wanted something bigger and (no offense) grown up (Im 26 now lol!)

Mondeo STTDCI

I understand the principle of the post but think it is not in context. ALL of the above are relevant to selling ANY car, not simply the 182. And all are relative and merely opinion.

The 182 has no known major quibble faults as yet, as its simply too new to tell IMHO.

The factors that are FACT (in my opinion of course) are as follows:

- Depreciation
- NEW Clio model on the way
- Renault keep updating the bloody models - 172, 172 Cup, 182 w/o, 182 with, 182 Cup, 182 Trophy. Seems to me the way to get the BEST Renaultsport of any particular generation seems to be to wait until its on its last legs and Renault flog a new model to clear body shells lol

Clio 197

I sold my first 182 because I wanted something bigger and quieter...

It wasnt too long before I came-back!

Get one... but keep a few-days holiday in reserve, for when you need to get warranty work done.

Quote: Originally posted by hip_spasm on 07 August 2005

I understand the principle of the post but think it is not in context. ALL of the above are relevant to selling ANY car, not simply the 182. And all are relative and merely opinion.

The 182 has no known major quibble faults as yet, as its simply too new to tell IMHO.

The factors that are FACT (in my opinion of course) are as

well depends what you call major, but i consider these quite major , exhaust centre section failing, and and oil leak from the engine camshaft cover, and intermitent alarm problem (3 beeps), suspension strut oil leak, front strut banging.

ps thats not my list of faults (mine is alot bigger), they are well known 182 faults (and yes i know some of them include the 172 too)

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

The main reason is because 1 yr ago (April to July) renault ran a 30% discount on 182s to Friends and Family.

Which made a VERY cheap fun at car 10k brand new.

Hence, people are now moving them on.

Mondeo STTDCI

I guess you call most of those "faults" and I call them character lol!

I was aware of SOME having exhaust problems, the alarm is fixable easily AFAIK. Not sure on the suspension leak but the banging is well known if its the knocking whilst on full lock.

Know of maybe 2 people with the oil from the engine.

Mine so far......FAULTLESS!!! Touch wood!

Quote: Originally posted by hip_spasm on 07 August 2005

I guess you call most of those "faults" and I call them character lol!

I was aware of SOME having exhaust problems, the alarm is fixable easily AFAIK. Not sure on the suspension leak but the banging is well known if its the knocking whilst on full lock.

Know of maybe 2 people with the oil from the engine.

Mine so far......FAULTLESS!!! Touch wood!

if you think the alarm fix was simple you need to start working for the dealers near me, they couldnt fix it and in the end i gave up,as for the oil leak i know of about 10 people on here who have had the same, and thats just the ones that contacted me, also asa the engine cover hides the fault im guessing alot more are leaking too

BMW 120i Sport

Thing is 182_blue, I appreciate your lack of satisfaction with the 182, but for christ sake you use any opportunity on any 182 related thread to get on your soapbox to to go on about how bad a car it is; your persistant belittling bores me sh!tless.

We get the message.

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 07 August 2005

Thing is 182_blue, I appreciate your lack of satisfaction with the 182, but for christ sake you use any opportunity on any 182 related thread to get on your soapbox to to go on about how bad a car it is; your persistant belittling bores me sh!tless.

We get the message.
lol its called freedom of speech, and the guy asked a question and i answered it honestly from my experience with my car, and all im commenting on is my car, the one i owned, if you dont like what i put then tough sh*te :D

ps i had a 172 cup and never had a single problem with it :eek:, it was brilliant

my 182 however was fecking crap , and your replies bore me sh*teless too, now stop being so sensative and get over it

BMW 120i Sport

Theres freedom of speech and theres being a broken record; feel free to write what you like, i wont disupte that at all: i never said you couldnt. But when youve had to hear your soapbox for countless months (youve even changed your avatar title) it gets very tiresome.

Get over what? You need to get over it mate and retire to the ownersclub site of that car that you own.

Haha, the fact you hang about whinging about the 182 says that its indeed you that cant get over it, so dont put your motives on my actions :D.

mines started getting a bit louder when you listen from the side or when your parked next to a high wall or in a garage??.. think the exhaust may be blowing somewhere?

engine noise is fine, sometimes it seems to sound like a turbo though? the way it sucks the air in sounds like my mates 2.0 zetec rs turbo.

oh and that alarm problem is annoying, 1 attempt at the dealers.. when i can be arsed ill take it in again to try and get it fixed again.

Leon TDI

Sold mine to clear all my debts before i took out a mortgage. I have now got a TDi leon.
Do i miss the 182? Yes and no.
The Leon is built far better than the 182, the panels dont flex when you polish them, the fuel economy and interior is far better.
But i miss the poke of the 182 and the road hugging handling.
But im enjoying having a larger car, with far better driving position for a 6 1" guy with just that bit more room after having 3 clios.

Quote: Originally posted by Big G on 07 August 2005

Theres freedom of speech and theres being a broken record; feel free to write what you like, i wont disupte that at all: i never said you couldnt. But when youve had to hear your soapbox for countless months (youve even changed your avatar title) it gets very tiresome.

Get over what? You need to get over it mate and retire to the ownersclub site of that car that you own.

Haha, the fact you hang about whinging about the 182 says that its indeed you that cant get over it, so dont put your motives on my actions :D.

:D, ill carry on then, thx

Quote: Originally posted by GuyS on 07 August 2005

mines started getting a bit louder when you listen from the side or when your parked next to a high wall or in a garage??.. think the exhaust may be blowing somewhere?

engine noise is fine, sometimes it seems to sound like a turbo though? the way it sucks the air in sounds like my mates 2.0 zetec rs turbo.

oh and that alarm problem is annoying, 1 attempt at the dealers.. when i can be arsed ill take it in again to try and get it fixed again.

for the centre section rattle, try banging the box, if it rattles then its gone, the problem is the new part has to be cut and shut in !!!, and when they do this the seal on the to end bits doesnt (well on mine and lees) seal properly, so in the end it makes more noise than before :(, and your tailpipes probably wont line up right ever again

disclaimer (for BIG G) im not having a go at the 182, im just helping the guy out, im in no way having a go at the wonderfull car that is a 182, did i tell you how good mine was ??

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by GuyS on 07 August 2005

Yeah I was thinking that as well, its getting quite noisy and Ive been wondering if the exhaust is blowing. Ill wait and see if it gets any louder.

it went in for a service a few weeks ago and i asked them to check the exhaust and they said its fine..
but it definately isnt..

Ford Fiesta

paid over £17k new for my UK 182 back in june 04. Only niggle wa sa leaking washer jet, fixed. The engine lets a little oil out at the bolts, but 99% of them do.

No real faults, and will be keeping mine for years to come hopefully. Love the car.

Da

Less

:D interesting stuff, but lets keep this post about the cars hey and not let it turn into a sl*gging match :D

I fancy something different, bit bigger..better built, perhaps classy is the word!

There are a a lot of new generation cars out there right now, I think there is bit of green-eyed monster in me but I think mainly it is the fact the Clio is going to take a big drop in price so Im bailing out now I guess you could say.

Dont get me wrong, I love the car to bits, except perhaps the usual Clio foibles!

Had mine since december from new and recently decided to sell it for a LCR due to a baby on the way and wanted something bigger, however ive now decided to keep it for a while longer and see if i can live with the small boot, yes it does have it faults but so do other cars, it has the alarm problem and rattles a bit but other than that my 182 has been great, just seems to me like some have been built worse than others or people abuse them and they dont last long without going wrong and need constant attention from from the crap dealers. Ive noticed loads on auto trader too but i personly put it down to the marked being flooded with them, how many other cars can you get with the same spec, look and fun factor for this sort of money new?

MKIII 138

think the MKII 172 and cup is built better than the 182. also the 172 has more expensive parts in it interior wise from what ive seen.