ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Re: My PH1 172

Ah very good, the reason i was asking was what its like to live with a young 'un and a Clio but yours are up a bit!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Well I had a Clio cup, a white valver, a Williams 3 when my oldest was wee and never had any problems, plenty of room, just getting them in and out the back a bit of a pain. :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

And i thought that Smart cars where small.

IMAG0117.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Well today i thought id do some work on the Clio, the front tyres where on there wear markers so i had the PE2s fitted that i bought in November.
Also gave the front wheel arches a quick wash out and spanner checked the suspension ready for its wheel alignment next week as it hasn't been done since i fitted the coilovers and freshened up the suspension.

Tomorrow im going to drop the rear suspension a little bit more and fit the new header tank that's been sitting in my garage as the old ones gone yellow.

IMAG0454_zps33fbaacc.gif

IMAG0458_zps601d090b.gif

IMAG0449_zpse3b5e18a.jpg

IMAG0445_zps1dd9e501.jpg

IMAG0453_zps9d8a5bfd.gif

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Thanks mate, the front suspension was done in November when i bought the coilovers.

Hubs, wishbones, drive flanges, the plates that bolt to the sub frame, and the tube supports things where all powder coated.
New wheel bearings, Renault top mounts, ABS sensors and ball joints where also replaced along with a poly bush kit.

I worked here for 8 years http://www.rikkicann.com/ after leaving school and then on Porsche and Ferrari for 4 years so i have high standards which i put into my cars. :)

Scott

Last edited:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

That's really very clean indeed.

A credit to you, I am envious to say the least!

Thank you, in the 3 years ive owned it ive only done 7k i clean it more than i drive the bloody thing....lol

PH1 Clio 172

That's immense and I thought my PH1 was clean!!
Don't let your age worry you as I thought the same as you at the age of 36!! My 6 and 7 year old love going out in mine so it justifies it enough for me!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Superb. I thought I was bad for cleaning. Good choice on the tyres I had 4 fitted in December when my tyres needed replaced. Speaking of age I hit 40 next month and have a 6yr old son who likes the old ph1 too, I probably should get something bigger and more grown up but I'd miss the Clio as they are such fun little cars. Like the poly bushes it's something I may do to mine soon

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

That's immense and I thought my PH1 was clean!!
Don't let your age worry you as I thought the same as you at the age of 36!! My 6 and 7 year old love going out in mine so it justifies it enough for me!

Yeah im 37 and the age thing is something i need to overcome tbh, every time i get in the car i feel like a bloody skid kid....lol
Where as the Fiesta is now a time less kind of car, although my 8 year old loves going out in the Clio and the noise it makes.

If i keep it then more bits will be getting powder coated (rear beam and bits in the engine bay) and ill buy KTR engine mounts, de cat (maybe) and a whitetline rear roll bar.

I was/am very tempted to buy that JMS inlet that came up for sale on here...:D

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Superb. I thought I was bad for cleaning. Good choice on the tyres I had 4 fitted in December when my tyres needed replaced. Speaking of age I hit 40 next month and have a 6yr old son who likes the old ph1 too, I probably should get something bigger and more grown up but I'd miss the Clio as they are such fun little cars. Like the poly bushes it's something I may do to mine soon

Cheers mate, i always liked things "right" my dads the same tbh but after working on the Astons that just took things to another level!!!! You dont ever fit the same old nuts and bolts on them which is the way i like it...:)
All my mates say im "anal" in everything i do, ive deffo got OCD....lol

Yes im happy with the tyres the car had a set of the PE2S when i bought it. The rears have got loads of tread but the walls are beginning to show signs of cracking, i guess where it doesn't get used.
I might get these replaced next month for piece of mind.
I bought the buses from Euro Car Parts, i got them for a great price so try them if you deiced to go for it.

Maybe we should do a "over 35 Clio meet"..... ;)

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Cheers mate, i always liked things "right" my dads the same tbh but after working on the Astons that just took things to another level!!!! You dont ever fit the same old nuts and bolts on them which is the way i like it...:)
All my mates say im "anal" in everything i do, ive deffo got OCD....lol

Yes im happy with the tyres the car had a set of the PE2S when i bought it. The rears have got loads of tread but the walls are beginning to show signs of cracking, i guess where it doesn't get used.
I might get these replaced next month for piece of mind.
I bought the buses from Euro Car Parts, i got them for a great price so try them if you deiced to go for it.

Maybe we should do a "over 35 Clio meet"..... ;)

Cheers I'll look them up on their website

PH1 Clio 172

Yeah im 37 and the age thing is something i need to overcome tbh, every time i get in the car i feel like a bloody skid kid....lol
Where as the Fiesta is now a time less kind of car, although my 8 year old loves going out in the Clio and the noise it makes.

If i keep it then more bits will be getting powder coated (rear beam and bits in the engine bay) and ill buy KTR engine mounts, de cat (maybe) and a whitetline rear roll bar.

I was/am very tempted to buy that JMS inlet that came up for sale on here...:D

Sounds like a plan!
i agree with you about the Fiesta too, timeless, recently sold my Mk2 XR2 of which the kids loved but was impractical due to where I work but miss t badly. Will be ploughing my time ad effort into the PH1 now...cleaning mainly!

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF

What a lovely car.

I'm 32 this year and don't think I'll ever be without a Renaultsport.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Sounds like a plan!
i agree with you about the Fiesta too, timeless, recently sold my Mk2 XR2 of which the kids loved but was impractical due to where I work but miss t badly. Will be ploughing my time ad effort into the PH1 now...cleaning mainly!

If i sell the Clio to fund the fiesta build then its going to take ages to do, if i keep the Clio and just do bits as i go along then i still have a nice car to have some fun in.
Thanks for the comments mate. :)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

Makes me want to refurb my wheels, they make such a massive difference to the look of it.

Lovely example!!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Makes me want to refurb my wheels, they make such a massive difference to the look of it.

Lovely example!!

Thanks, yes it does i also had my bolts re-plated as they where starting to rust

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Well these arrived in the post on Thursday, KTR engine mounts and a Prima Racing rear exhaust mount.
Ill be hoping to fit the exhaust mount over the weekend but the engine mounts will have to wait as i want to send away any parts that i remove from the engine bay to be powder coated. :)

IMAG0470_zps243af7e6.gif

IMAG0471_zps1effe25e.jpg

RenaultSport 172

Exhaust mount looks good. I did the cheapo powerflex bodge to mine today. Lucky I did though as the exhaust mount was so bad and the bolts were so rusty there's no way they will ever come off. Part of the mount appears to have snapped also.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Cheers mate, bloody things.

I was thinking about doing that mod but my anal stupid side wouldn't let me...
The Prima mounts are expensive for what they are, just hope it does the job.

I bought a standard rear mount from GSF which is not that old but its already allowing my exhaust to sag...:(

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Well as im off for 5 days thought id make a start and fit my Prima Racing rear exhaust mount.
Its lots better than a standard one, has some movment and supports the back box in the right position and i hope it will stay that way but time will tell i guess.

I have notice that my heat shield above the back box has corroded which has made it sag a bit so will be buying a new one from Renault if they are not to expensive.

IMAG0496_zpsa40bb5f0.jpg

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

nice work as always. had the prima mount on my last ph1, never had an issue with it. will be interested to see how you find the solid mounts, read a few reports of loads of vibration through the cabin which would put me off. i did put a solid dogmount on my current one but it was Causing vibration so took it straight off. was weird because fitted one to my old ph1 without any issues.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

nice work as always. had the prima mount on my last ph1, never had an issue with it. will be interested to see how you find the solid mounts, read a few reports of loads of vibration through the cabin which would put me off. i did put a solid dogmount on my current one but it was Causing vibration so took it straight off. was weird because fitted one to my old ph1 without any issues.

Cheers mate, it seems like a good mount tbh. I also have the poly dog bone on my car and its fine.
Im on my 2nd set of Renault engine mounts and im now getting the knocking problems again and i dont drive the car hard so its been driving me mad so i thought sod it and went with the KTR set.

I have heard the same but also ive heard that after a while they seem to settle down, well the car drives like a roller skate with the shocks set hard so it will just add a bit more drama to the drive....:D

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Lol fair enough. Iv got some konis to fit to mine so will be firming up the ride on mine too, it's already pretty firm with the eibachs. Also how clean is that exhaust!! U been polishing it or keeping it off the road in the wet??

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Lol fair enough. Iv got some konis to fit to mine so will be firming up the ride on mine too, it's already pretty firm with the eibachs. Also how clean is that exhaust!! U been polishing it or keeping it off the road in the wet??

Mine was good on the Eibachs, but so much firmer on the Spax Coil overs the cars alot more planted.

Well a bit of both mate, i don't drive it when its raining but end up getting cought out in the bloody stuff.
I was under the car fitting the mount and i just couldn't help myself, i will have to remove the back box if i replace the corroded exhaust heat shield (i will as its on my mind) so it will be getting a proper polish up then....:eek:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

Lol. Have u done any concours in the past by any chance?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

Lol. Have u done any concours in the past by any chance?

:eek: What ya trying to say???? lol I worked here http://www.rikkicann.com/ for 8 years after leaving school and i have been back working there (a couple of years ago now) on my days off from my main job.
So i guess i know how things should be. You know how it is mate, just cant help ourselfs doing things right i also enjoy it tbh....:)

Do they have a Clio concours event btw?

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

:eek: What ya trying to say???? lol I worked here http://www.rikkicann.com/ for 8 years after leaving school and i have been back working there (a couple of years ago now) on my days off from my main job.
So i guess i know how things should be. You know how it is mate, just cant help ourselfs doing things right i also enjoy it tbh....:)

Do they have a Clio concours event btw?

Lol your attention to detail is superb.. No as far as I'm aware the Clio scene hasn't gone down the ford scene with regards to concours, think u would be in with a good shout If it did. If mine wasn't a daily I'd be totally anal with mine. Got a bit like that years ago with a white Clio 16v I owned from new, didn't want to drive it anfpd get it dirty :eek: