ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Saving fuel

Clio 172 Phase 2
Whats the best way to save fuel and get good MPG, for example changing gears below 2,000 rpm untill 5Th or going up the revs in lower gears till u reach ur driving speed then dump in 5th.?

I use neutral alot but still have a s**t MPG

iceberg phase 2 172
keeping the revs low , no harsh braking etc , plan ahead if that makes sense ? the harder u brake , the more momentum u lose , where as if u give plenty of time to just slow slighty etc . what mpg u getting atm ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not pressing the brakes is the key thing, so try and drive looking a long way ahead so you can minimise your need to come to a stop or slow a lot.
Racing line on roundabouts etc to carry more speed again to avoid losing energy is good too.

Putting in neutral on downhills will use more fuel than coasting, unless you turn the engine off, as on the over run no fuel is injected anyway, but in neutral it needs some to keep the engine running.

Clio 172 Phase 2
Really I never coasting used more fuel. Il start keeping it on gear then. Get around 33.i drive about 25 miles a day. Half in town with a few traffic lights and other half is country road

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Really I never coasting used more fuel. Il start keeping it on gear then. Get around 33.i drive about 25 miles a day. Half in town with a few traffic lights and other half is country road

DCi would probably nearly double that after a remap!

Not so much fun on a trackday though of course.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Drive it like its not a 1*2 but a normal 1.2 clio and you'll see it increase. I try to do this often but it never lasts, the car is too much fun :)

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I used to get 50mpg in my old 1.2. Big difference from 36-38.

You got 50mpg from a D7F? You must have been driving slow as f**k. My 1.2NA gets on average 36 to 40mpg, as does our TCE.

And yes, I also thought coasting will take more fuel as the engine will being using fuel to keep the engine running. When your in gear and not accelerating, the fuel supply is halted.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I used to get roughly 70-80 miles out of 10 quid in the 1.2. So it's not much different really

I do about 33 miles a day half Dual Carrige way with a million roundabouts then a big town, then the rest twisty B roads. I give it a sensible amount changing at 3.5k ish on the Duals and most days give it hell on the B roads and still getting 33-34 mpg, if i drive like a granny i can get about 37 but thats just not fun, and fun is why i bought a RS instead of keeping the 1.2. Got 34mpg from that giving it hell everywhere.

DCI100
I've tested this coasting rule a lot but I'm pretty certain my dci100 is more efficient accelerating on the downhill and then using as little throttle on the up hill. This is because its uses less energy to gain momentum going down the hill.

But I find on a long hill coasting in gear is more efficient IF the hill is steep enough to keep you coasting at a steady speed without slowing down to much. So sometimes it depends on the situation.

I've tested this coasting rule a lot but I'm pretty certain my dci100 is more efficient accelerating on the downhill and then using as little throttle on the up hill. This is because its uses less energy to gain momentum going down the hill. But I find on a long hill coasting in gear is more efficient IF the hill is steep enough to keep you coasting at a steady speed without slowing down to much. So sometimes it depends on the situation.

You can't "use energy", it's a transfer of energy. Going downhill you have a mixture of chemical energy from the engine combined with gravitational potential energy pulling the car down the hill transferring to kinetic energy (movement). This means the car needs to provide less energy to travel at a faster velocity as the GPE is acting in the same direction. On uphill sections, the GPE is acting in the opposite direction and pulling the car back down the hill so the engine needs to provide enough energy to cancel this out and more to pull the car up the hill hence using less fuel by accelerating down the hill to gain enough momentum to get up the hill without needing to apply extra energy to overcome GPE again.

DCI100
'Use energy' = burn fuel that's pedantic mate.
When you burn fuel it makes heat, sound, mechanical movement.

You said the same as me it just didn't need more explaining.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
You can't really compare how many miles you get to £10. The price of fuel constantly fluctuates so £10 of fuel today is not the same amount as £10 of fuel tomorrow.

Ooooo ye I totally agree. I was just saying

I got 32mpg out of the last 4 tanks in the trophy... all motorway bar the 2 miles a day from my house to get on it. Lol.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Having an instantaneous fuel consumption gauge is rather handy i find.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Having an instantaneous fuel consumption gauge is rather handy i find.

Do you think they are accurate? I've seen that in my mates 330

And nope I don't put 10 quids in at a time I usually Brim it then run it down to notch above the red before filling again

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I think so, but its quite cool to see how much certain gears and throttle inputs affect the consumption.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
slipstream a lorry or box van on the motorway - got 54mpg in my 182 .

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I always fill up right to the brim and run till the light comes on, hate going to fuel stations, people there annoy me.