ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Saving fuel

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
aye but chip, even if you worry about it and get the extra 1-2 mpg they'll only shove petrol up a other 3p and wipe out the effort.
Actually if fuel goes up it makes it even more worthwhile.
although a 1-2mpg saving is only really going to be useful if you are in a car that does horrific economy in the first place as even doing 50K miles a year if you save 1mpg in a car already doing 35mpg its very little real saving.

Stand by my point - pointless worrying about it.
For the few miles that you do, yes, if you were doing 30-50K a year though like some people do then it would be worth worrying about economy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
In my 200 it would take me a hour sitting at 50 on a flat motorway to get it up to 30mpg! The extra mpg would save me £8 a week, £32 a month. I'm really not going to get upset about £32.

When fuel is such a tiny expenditure in the first place its not really worth worrying about saving it.

But for people who are spending an amount on fuel thats equivalent to their disposable income or in some cases more than it, then its well worth worrying about as to them it could mean a very significant increase in the amount of money they have to do the fun things in life, or to save for the things that matter to them.

RB 200
For the few miles that you do, yes, if you were doing 30-50K a year though like some people do then it would be worth worrying about economy.

Yea I suppose if you where doing those miles in a Clio Sport you could use the money you'd say to get the belts done :p

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I worked out the MPG on my 1.2 once.

93988.png

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
About 25mpg minimum to and from work for me and got 37mpg on a run to bedford the other day. I could probably get it over 40 if I really tried but not much over.

Well I drove like my mum and got 39mpg on the 80 miles to work the other day. A significant saving over my 30/31 usual. Not sure if I'll do that again lol.zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Passat
Since I started using that Shell Nitro b****cks my MPG has improved. I was around 33 and now it's 37. Very impressed really because I do a lot of short journeys and it gets spanked at every opportunity.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
There's a very simple reason why 1.2's aren't a huge amount better than 1*2's on MPG.

That reason is hills. Steep ones are 2nd gear at 30-40mph or you'll just slow to a halt.

LY FF182
I think economy is very relevant! I was doing 100 miles a day for work in a 330 at 25mpg if I was lucky. Still wanted a fast ish car but would do the motorway comute better. My 182 did the same trip for almost half the fuel costs meaning I can spend on parts I want for the car rather than petrol. If I worked 2 miles from work I'd walk and still have my 330.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I don't use the Trophy or the van for long commutes. . My old 530 is doing over 600 on a full tank so use that. . Plus it's comfier ;)

PB172,dci100,dci65
my best was 37.3 mpg on a 220 miles trip, sticked to the speed limits and generaly rpms never passed 4000 and easy on the accelerator.
In my situation how to save fuel, use the dci, it goes on diesel so I don't use any fuel LOL.

In general, dont drive like you stole it, keep the rpms between 2-3t and brake less.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
lpg conversion

The problem with that on a 172 is if not set up correctly its quite easy to drop the exhaust valves, and even set up correctly it still increases the chance versus petrol and they are already a bit of a weak point.

04BGFF182CLIORS
my best was 37.3 mpg on a 220 miles trip, sticked to the speed limits and generaly rpms never passed 4000 and easy on the accelerator.
In my situation how to save fuel, use the dci, it goes on diesel so I don't use any fuel LOL.

In general, dont drive like you stole it, keep the rpms between 2-3t and brake less.

Since when was diesel not a fuel?