ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung ordered to pay Apple $1 billion!

Bumder With A Buffer
The samsung patents were to do with UMTS, Apple bought chips from Intel that were licenced by samsung, so apple assumed that they were buying a licence too.

So its okay to infringe on patents as long as you say you didn't know.

Ph2 172
At the end of the day, Samsung knew they were copying Apple, and they knew it was patented (google pointed it out to them). So let's not forget that there was a real easy way round it for them - all they had to do was apply for licence to use it, like Microsoft have.

They decided not to, they got pulled for it. simple!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
So its okay to infringe on patents as long as you say you didn't know.

Its actually better to be ignorant because the damages are lower. In most cases you're actually better off not doing a patent search because then you cannot be guilty of willful infringement.

In the case of apple, they believed the terms of licensing to their supplier extended to them, it happens all the time in the semiconductor industry.

mk2 182
Apple have now submitted to the courts a list of 8 products it wants pulling from sale in the US and now also asking for 3 billion because Samsung knowingly ripped of the patents.

FPMSL at threads like this - spot the people (geordieracer) who can't afford an iPhone and are peeved that their cheap copies won't be for sale much longer LOL

Apple innovate - that's what they do. The iPhone changed the mobile phone market over night in a massive way. Lots of other companies have brought out phones similar with their own operating systems and paid licensing fees to Apple to use their patents - which is fine
Samsung just did what China would do and copied the iPhone feature for feature and made it cheaper and crap quality.
The emails between samsung exec's listing all the things the iPhone did that was better than their phone so they should just copy the iPhone had me in tears

They deserved it and I hope this sends a message out to other people who think they can ride on the coat tails of other peoples innovation

I have to admit I'm not sure on the post-Jobs future of Apple. I have no evidence to support my concerns, but I personally have worries that without him, they might fail.

It happened before.

This I agree with.
The new OS X is a bit of a dissapointment, it's just lots of features that should have been out a year ago. The new iPhone is late and to be honest in this market will need to be pretty special to make an impact. The smaller tablet they're producing I think just muddies the pool, iPhone, small iPad, big iPad - too much choice
That's what was wrong with Apple pre-jobs - they had loads of product lines that no-one could decide between. Seem to be going the same way again

However being worth 660+ billion USD and being one of the highest valued companies in the world now - it will be pretty hard to go under

Evo 5 RS
They will never go under, at least for another 30 years of absoloute failure if that were to happen lol. What you're seeing now will definitely be a trend though. Seems daft to think Jobs was the go to guy in a corporation as big as they are but that's just how it was. You've just got to hope Tim Ballmer can deliver.

Just to further Nickson's comment, there is nothing wrong with the quality of the Samsung. You clearly haven't used one if that's what you think. What it is though, is too big to fit in my f*cking pocket.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
They will never go under, at least for another 30 years of absoloute failure if that were to happen lol. What you're seeing now will definitely be a trend though. Seems daft to think Jobs was the go to guy in a corporation as big as they are but that's just how it was. You've just got to hope Tim Ballmer can deliver.

Tim Ballmer? You mean Tim Cook?

Just to further Nickson's comment, there is nothing wrong with the quality of the Samsung. You clearly haven't used one if that's what you think. What it is though, is too big to fit in my f*cking pocket.

I have used them quite a few times, I write mobile apps occasionally you know - they are cheap for a reason.

306 GTI-6
At cup_phil.

Gtf.

I chose an android phone as I had one previously and after looking at it, and other phones, i preferred the android to the iphone system.

As for cost being a factor, the phone was free, as was the iphone on the same/comparable deal.

There is nothing about the iphone that makes me want one.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I chose an android phone as I had one previously and after looking at it, and other phones, i preferred the android to the iphone system.

As for cost being a factor, the phone was free, as was the iphone on the same/comparable deal.

There is nothing about the iphone that makes me want one.

same for me, I could have an iphone tomorrow if i wanted, but I just don't. Can't get on with the OS, I don't find it intuative, but i feel the same about apple computers and they're made with the same/similar layout and user base in mind. Just doesn't suit me, it's not a case of better or worse. I'd have a GS3 if they'd been out when I renewed my contract, and that's a piece of hardware that's turned a lot of loyalties

Evo 5 RS
same for me, I could have an iphone tomorrow if i wanted, but I just don't. Can't get on with the OS, I don't find it intuative, but i feel the same about apple computers and they're made with the same/similar layout and user base in mind. Just doesn't suit me, it's not a case of better or worse. I'd have a GS3 if they'd been out when I renewed my contract, and that's a piece of hardware that's turned a lot of loyalties

That's fair enough. I never thought I'd say this 2 years ago, but I much prefer iOS, it just 'flows' so much better and nothing feels out of place. All depends on your preference firstly I guess

The fact that Apple release one phone every couple of years and Samsung/HTC release 4-5 yearly, means that Apple will eventually get left far behind.

That's not quite the case IMO. HTC/Samsung (although this case is nothing against HTC!) do indeed produce many different models each year, but half the time they have the same specs in different form factors.

Apple will develop phones at the same rate as anyone else, but just choose to showcase that in 1 release every year. They do it well and it works, why would Apple decide to bring out a new 'slightly improved' phone every other month - its just not what they do!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
All of the devices were running earlier versions of android, so some of the patents are OS specific.

Hence why jelly-bean barely infringes anything, with the exception of universal search.

306 GTI-6
Surely if it was android (even an earlier version) that infringed the patents, that wouldnt be Samsung that were to blame. It would be Google.

I think he makes some good points about innovation though.

Nissan 350z
Surely Apple sueing Samsung is just a farce anyway unless things have changed im pretty sure Samsung manufacture components that Apple purchase for their devices? So all thats going to happen is Samsung charge more, Apple Iphones cost more to produce, their own consumers have to foot the bill when prices go up?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
No mate, because doing that would lose them contracts. There's always someone capable of producing components. Plus I doubt it's easy for Samsung to do that without breaking contracts which would cost them even more.

Surely if it was android (even an earlier version) that infringed the patents, that wouldnt be Samsung that were to blame. It would be Google.

I think he makes some good points about innovation though.

If you sue Google directly it's unlikely you'll get awarded substantial damages as android is open source. So they don't make money from it. You are far better off going after individuals. Especially ones that so blatantly copy iOS look and feel.

I read somewhere that this settlement is actually good value for Samsung. Far cheaper than licensing.

Last edited:
  306 GTI-6
I uderstand that, however it cant have been android that was infringing the patents. Samsung could not legally have been found guilty if it were, as they are not the owners / creators of Android.

Therefore the article i referred to must be incorrect in the statements saying it was android that infringed. If it was the android os, and not Samsungs methods of using the OS, apple would now be going after every single company that uses android, and they are not.

It's the android os that resembles Ios, a google designed os, one that is pretty much the same across all handsets that use it, not just Samsungs. Samsung, may alter it slightly, but google designed it, and its google who are responsible for its similarity in appearance to Ios.

I havent read any news reports thay stated android os infringed.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nobody owns it as such, if you use it you are subject to litigation it seems.

Read through the Jury questionnaire, explains it further.

306 GTI-6
If that's the case, why did Apple target Samsung in particular?

Part of the whole tit-for-tat thing? Or just because they are the biggest target?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Combination of the biggest target/easiest win.

They couldn't go after them now like they did with the old devices. The evidence was damming to say the least.

2014 Focus Titanium
Some very interesting points in this post. It's fair to say Samsung deserved it but also they would have known exactly what they were getting themselves in for so it would have been no surprise. I do fear for Apple post-Jobs era because as said he was so strict on quality and design, I really hope they keep his best interests at heart because lets be honest if it wasn't for him we would all still be using Nokia N95s and Blackberrys. They are the main force in pushing the boundaries - although I prefer Android it wouldn't be here if it wasn't for iOS's intuitive design and layout.

The whole "you're too poor to buy apple phones" mantra is growing old now, as said previously Samsung have stepped their game up with regards to quality, the GS3 is beautiful.

I would like to think that Jonny Ive will will the man that keeps Jobs' dream alive. They shared a lot of views, and were pretty much soul mates at Apple. If anyone can keep it going, Jonny can. He has been the design master for ages anyway.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
5254724_700b.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
they're just going to keep exchanging cheques for large sums until a judge somewhere is in a trolly mood and kicks a case out, demanding costs for court time.

until then, it's tit for tat forever

Evo 5 RS
It gets better.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/11/us-apple-trademark-idUSBRE88A0IW20120911

(Reuters) - Apple, fresh from a patent victory against South Korean rival Samsung, has turned its sights on a smaller target - Polish online grocery website A.pl.

The Polish patent office said on Tuesday the U.S. maker of the iPad, iPhone and iPod had filed a complaint, accusing the website of copying one of Apple's icons to its logo and riding its coattails to win customers.

"Apple brand is widely recognized and the company says that A.pl, by using the name that sounds similar, is using Apple's reputation," patent office spokesman Adam Taukert said.

A.pl chief executive Radoslaw Celinski said: "The accusation is ludicrous". The firm, which is not currently using the logo in question, is looking at Apple's complaint.

A date for an official hearing has not been set yet.

The law firm Baker & McKenzie, which represents Apple in Poland, was not available to comment.

Apple was expected to launch a new iPhone on Wednesday.

Someone needs the sack.