ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung ordered to pay Apple $1 billion!

Evo 5 RS
You aren't really getting this are you?

If patents are granted then most of the time they are defendable.

This case wasn't just about patents, it's about hardware and software aimed to mimic iOs devices. That's just plain lazy.

Everything is mimic-able in the smart phone market. The only thing I'm not 'getting' is why there are so many new found Apple lovers getting defensive over a ridiculous exploit and not seeing the real picture. There aren't many big players left for them to turn to.

They're scared of being removed by their competitors because they have absolutely no idea where to go now. That's why it's escalated since Jobs passed away. Soon they will end up investing with the wrong manufacturers, stocks will plummet and you'll all be talking about something else, guarantied. They can't even keep their workforce at Foxconn happy. DELL managed it for years. And they're not exactly renowned for a happy workforce.

Love the 4s, all your Apple products for what they are. But it's the beginning of a bumpy road

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
A bumpy road? Really? Any evidence or info to back this up?

I have to admit I'm not sure on the post-Jobs future of Apple. I have no evidence to support my concerns, but I personally have worries that without him, they might fail.

It happened before.

Listerine & Poledo
I'm sure 99% of all the arguing on this thread has been conducted repeatedly, at length, and better, before.

Just start pasting links to all your previous posts and save your keyboards

Listerine & Poledo
It would have been if it included intelligent points of debate.

However it appears to just be a circular argument of the unstoppable Android love-force against the immovable apple fandom.

All of which is pointless because, as we all know, it's all about the Nokia 8910i

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Everything is mimic-able in the smart phone market. The only thing I'm not 'getting' is why there are so many new found Apple lovers getting defensive over a ridiculous exploit and not seeing the real picture. There aren't many big players left for them to turn to.

What do you mean? You think samsung will say "No, you can't have flash memory from us" Lets be realistic, if anything Apple could stop buying from them.
Theres plenty of people willing to produce components. I don't even think this is about loyalty, its just a Lazy company decision to copy rather than innovate. Just take a look at stock ICS/JB and even windows mobile and you'll see that there are plenty of ways to do things without copying Apple.

They're scared of being removed by their competitors because they have absolutely no idea where to go now. That's why it's escalated since Jobs passed away. Soon they will end up investing with the wrong manufacturers, stocks will plummet and you'll all be talking about something else, guarantied. They can't even keep their workforce at Foxconn happy. DELL managed it for years. And they're not exactly renowned for a happy workforce.

Nothing has escalated, if anything its slowed down since Job's died. Also since Job's death apple stock has accelerated.
Also Foxconn is responsible for its workforce, theres plenty of other companies that use Chinese labour and they have also been called out. Apple gets more press because its so huge.

Love the 4s, all your Apple products for what they are. But it's the beginning of a bumpy road

I don't see it. iOS 6 is going to get bad press as its a minor refresh of iOS 5, but OS X releases have been similar and still received critical acclaim. They've yet to make a bad product since i started buying them in 1999. (that i've bought, obviously they made bad stuff, Time Capsule for example.)

clio 16v
Loving all the comments about the iPhone being the best smartphone . The majority of tech websites rank it below the galaxy s3 and the HTC one x ......

Clio 172
Loving all the comments about the iPhone being the best smartphone . The majority of tech websites rank it below the galaxy s3 and the HTC one x ......

Why do I care what tech sites say? I'd buy a phone that I get on the most with, and most familiar with, and I think looks the best.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Lols. Now we're talking. Did they mention release dates at all? You know, like the fact the 4 has been out forever and the S3 was just released.

Evo 5 RS
Tom you have to admit there's not been the same innovation since Tim took over. I'm not saying something as unrealistic as Apple will just disappear in the next few years, but I think the man milk has definitely spewed and we've seen the best already. Prove me wrong at the next revolution, but I don't see it.

Foxconn uproar was due to ridiculous hours brought on by iPad 2 production partly, but Apple admitted to gross misconduct with the use of N-hexane chemicals used to clean the LCDs. For which up until a few months ago workers were still waiting for compensation. They have more of a legal responsibility to uphold standards there then they'd probably like you to know.

And no, Samsung will most likely not discontinue any contracts. Not in the short term anyway. Id just be sceptical, Samsung provide some of the best memory chipsets available, there's other manufactures but with only 7 plantations in the world, you wouldn't want the other half of those putting their product in your top of the line smartphone.

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
This isn't even about the best phone. It's about samsung plagiarising Apple. They did. They got served. End.

But it wont be the end. As I said before they will keep going round in circles with this. Apple are hardly squeaky clean also.

The law firms must be loving the amount they make from all this and are probably pushing for it as hard as they can...

clio 16v
Which ones?

Here's two for starters, although I could list hundreds:

http://www.t3.com/best-gadgets/smartphones

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440

The hardware specs speak for themselves

Lols. Now we're talking. Did they mention release dates at all? You know, like the fact the 4 has been out forever and the S3 was just released.

The 4S has only been out eight months. The fact that Apple release one phone every couple of years and Samsung/HTC release 4-5 yearly, means that Apple will eventually get left far behind.

Apple trying to patent the iphone form factor is laughable at best. There is prior art in many of the patents that Apple have been awarded and it's not really likely that an American jury were going to side with a Korean company is it?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Did Samsung win their lawsuit against Apple a while back?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I meant end as in the context of this debate about patent infringement. I thought that was obvious. Samsung copied the iPhone. We all know this.

But it's not the end of that either seen as Samsung have already said they will appeal against the ruling.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19381096

It looks obvious to me that the American courts are sticking up for the American company. Seen as the results in both the UK and SK had far less biased result.

Yeah I read about the appeal. It's gonna be interesting. Either way, it's not likely to change anything. Apple innovate and others copy.

Ignoring phones for now, look at some of the laptops available. Blatant imitations.

Evo 5 RS
Actually, was it not Samsung that have recently released a notebook that looks remarkably like the Air? Lol
If you're going to kick up a fuss, that's a good place to start. Think it's HP actually. CBA to look it up

clio 16v
Yeah I read about the appeal. It's gonna be interesting. Either way, it's not likely to change anything. Apple innovate and others copy.

Ignoring phones for now, look at some of the laptops available. Blatant imitations.

So now Apple own the laptop form factor? ROFL

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Here's two for starters, although I could list hundreds:

http://www.t3.com/best-gadgets/smartphones

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440

The hardware specs speak for themselves

The 4S has only been out eight months. The fact that Apple release one phone every couple of years and Samsung/HTC release 4-5 yearly, means that Apple will eventually get left far behind.

Apple trying to patent the iphone form factor is laughable at best. There is prior art in many of the patents that Apple have been awarded and it's not really likely that an American jury were going to side with a Korean company is it?

2 points.

1. Hardware specs are irrelevant.

2. You are suggesting the us legal system is biased towards the us? Could it not simply be the evidence presented and the arguments given that won the case? The prior art you speak of clearly wasn't good enough to convince a jury.

320td Daily XR2t Toy
It wasnt that long ago that apple were ordered to pay samsung a vast sum of money. In the mobile market they tread on each others toes. Apple is the worst and have a lot of cases outstanding against them.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
It wasnt that long ago that apple were ordered to pay samsung a vast sum of money. In the mobile market they tread on each others toes. Apple is the worst and have a lot of cases outstanding against them.

The Dutch case? That wasn't vast.

Bumder With A Buffer
It would have been if it included intelligent points of debate.

However it appears to just be a circular argument of the unstoppable Android love-force against the immovable apple fandom.

All of which is pointless because, as we all know, it's all about the Nokia 8910i

See I also dont like this point whenever it comes up.

Its not ALWAYS the case. A lot of people liek myself have and use both products, therefore having a valid opinion on them is surely a good thing. Just because someone prefers a certain OS or phone maker over the other doesn't make them a fanboy IMO. It just personal preference.

It works both ways ...apple lovers belittle anyone else about having a superior phone and interface and more "market share" and Android lovers just use the "Fcuk off your all caaannnts".

I LOVE my iPhone for some reasons and hate it for others.

clio 16v
2 points.

1. Hardware specs are irrelevant.

2. You are suggesting the us legal system is biased towards the us? Could it not simply be the evidence presented and the arguments given that won the case? The prior art you speak of clearly wasn't good enough to convince a jury.

On point 1 : hardware specs are irrelevant? Lol that statement backs up the stereotype that all apple fanboy's prefer form over function. You're basically buying a small form factor pc - specs mean a great deal.

On point 2: yes that's what I'm saying. I think it's highly likely that a US jury would favour a US company over a Korean one.

Clio 172
On point 1 : hardware specs are irrelevant? Lol that statement backs up the stereotype that all apple fanboy's prefer form over function. You're basically buying a small form factor pc - specs mean a great deal.

No, they really don't. Its a phone for starters. If your designing an operating system designed to run on "anything", it isn't going to be a performer. The way i see it at least.

But if you designing a phone to run on a specific operating system, no it doesn't matter. The iPhones hardware and iOs and perfectly matched. They where designed for each other, made for each other. iOS isn't a performance hogging operating system, and utilises iPhone hardware much more:

Why do you think MBP's etc are quite underpowered (for the money, anyway) but outperform a lot of hardware? Because they was designed to run an iOs that was designed specifically for their products.

If Microsoft made a PC specifically for windows, and perhaps made an OS for that, it would be a good performer.

All IMO of course, could be wrong.

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
Dedicated hardware will always be more efficient, and specs do matter. The A5 processor is good enough proof of that. You can't really match similarities as mimicking, is the point though.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yeah they are, hardware means very little when you cross compare OS's

Take windows mobile, they use 2 year old hardware as a spec guideline. Still runs at a comparable speed.

Another comparison, run a sunspider test on a GS3 and compare it to a 4S, they will come out almost identical (I just did it on mine and got a 1792 score)

You have a poor understanding of the world of smartphones if you thought MHz and RAM were comparable.

dk

911 GTS Cab
What I find interesting is that apple are a big customer of Samsung for components for their products, like processors etc.

Its a bit like the HP and Cisco situation, HP hate Cisco as they are competing against them now int he server market, yet HP are a big customer as they resell Cisco products, and need to continue to as they need to offer the Cisco option, and Cisco need them as a customer.

Over the weekend Samsung has $12bn wiped off their share value, so the 1bn fine isn't the real damage, if apple manage to block the sale of the phones, that will be another massive blow, will Samsung stop supplying them with components, probably not as they won't be able to afford to as it'll mean more losses to them.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
it's all marketing anyway, for both companies. Sell each other components and licence technologies. Sue each other constantly and get everyone talking about it. How else is samsung ever going to get their name plastered across the screen on the 6 o'clock news?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I can understand the Jury fining Samsung for the Apple Patents they copied, but why not Apple for the Samsung ones?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The samsung patents were to do with UMTS, Apple bought chips from Intel that were licenced by samsung, so apple assumed that they were buying a licence too.