ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RIP engine?????

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Mental that you wanted to break/sell it only last week.

330i. E30 Touring.
Cheapest way to fix it would be buy a second hand engine for approx £300 and have someone fit it for cheap.If you can get the car to Surrey, I'll supply and fit an engine for £500. 70k. FSH and had cambelt done 2 years ago..

R.I.P 182
Lucky in a way cause id of felt awful if it went on someone after I sold it!!

I will put it up when I find out exactly what's wrong with it I guess. Someone that wants a project could have her :(

Feel gutted :(

R.I.P 182
Cheapest way to fix it would be buy a second hand engine for approx £300 and have someone fit it for cheap.If you can get the car to Surrey, I'll supply and fit an engine for £500. 70k. FSH and had cambelt done 2 years ago..

Just bloody drove to Surrey n back, the car broke down there lol..!!! Urgh :(

That is an option though I guess?!

Was thinking either do that, or get rid and get a cheap runaround :(

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

To be fair, it would also be very easy to get the car recovered on the back of a truck (via shiply) for less than £100. Car fixed = less than £600. Not ideal (cos it broke in the 1st place), but not the end of the world, & you could then still sell it for decent money (£3.5k or so) once fixed. At the moment, as a fixer upper, you will struggle to get £1.8k for it.

So purely from a monetary perspective, getting it fixed, cheaply (but properly) is the way to go imho :)

R.I.P 182
Think that is what I'll be doing to b honest.. :/

Whats the deal with new engines etc? Like the mileage will read wrong in my car?

Anythinh else need doing at 70k that will need doing?

f**king joke this money!!!

172, Tiguan
I'd take Budgie up on his offer tbh. Thats a very fair price. For piece of mind i'd also give him another £150 and ask for a new cambelt kit to go on it.

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
Agree with jon

When mines went i got my head rebuilt with 16 new valves, seals etc for £400 including a headgasket kit. On top of that cambelt and aux belt kit £200, i was lucky to be able to use the bottom end again as there was no damage to pistons.

Theres £600 with me doing it all myself apart from the head rebuild. If your getting a new engine for that fitted, id do that

R.I.P 182
Sorry Fred, been using on my phone and skimmed replies.

I don't think its ever been done, so probably why its died!

I was having a natter with the old dear and probably best to go with replacing the engine.. The guys havent even looked properly but he's said i'm not looking at getting much change from £800..

Makes sense I guess :S

R.I.P 182
I don't know. I have NO idea where my service book is, moved house 2 months ago & its somewhere i'm yet to find!

Called the garage they still haven't "got the top off" to have a look, but he says theres no compression and reckons all the valves have gone, is he talking utter s**te?

I mentioned i would probably get a new engine for it & asked about that, to which he started waffling on about new belts anyway on the other engine.

All i think he talks is ££££££££££. Asking me about engine codes and all cars have different codes etc, im not an idiot, plus the knowledge on here i'm sure is more specified to my car than some random in a garage!!

clio 172-?
off the top of my head, it sounds like he knows about the belts going on the CS's, and is looking to empty your pockets, sounds electrical, ive blown an engine and you know full well its gone!

R.I.P 182
Like i said, i had NO noise at all, no smoke, it literally just cut out!!! I think i'm having my arse raped to be honest... I'll go for the new engine i think, BUT i dont wanna waste anyones time when theres nothing wrong with the thing.!!!

Would it realistically f**k every valve up?? I turned the engine twice when i got on hard shoulder, and the breakdown man did once too, so total of 3 times, (im aware it can damage the car so obvioulsy didnt wanna do anymore!!)

Petrol Blue 182.
I was acelerating once and my valver made a massive bang noise and then died turns out it was teh fly wheel sensor, cleaned it and away it went

R.I.P 182
Where do i stand with getting someone else to have a look at the car in someone elses garage??

I obviously have to f**k around moving the car to wherever for someone else to have a look at it?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Just bloody move the car. Even to your house. Beg pay masturbate Fred to come and look at it.

You can't just assume the guy is a liar though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
If it's bent valves I'd snap Budgie's hand off for that engine at £500! If it's not and the garage are trying to be sneaky I'd just say you've got a decent price on the engine fix so thanks but no thanks.

And I wouldn't use Shiply's anymore for transport! There's a recent thread with some guy from round your neck of the woods who's had the worst experience ever from them, take a look at it - don't want to make a bad situation worse!

R.I.P 182
Im not saying the guy is a liar, i'm saying that he may be presuming the worst as he hasnt even taken the "top" off the engine to have a look..!!!!

GRRR!!

I'll have a look at those threads & will look into my options!

Think its a safe idea to get a second opinion on it regardless, then i know the worst case is new engine anyway!?

Whats the deal with mileage and new engines, is the mileage changed on the ECU?

R.I.P 182
If it's bent valves I'd snap Budgie's hand off for that engine at £500! If it's not and the garage are trying to be sneaky I'd just say you've got a decent price on the engine fix so thanks but no thanks.

And I wouldn't use Shiply's anymore for transport! There's a recent thread with some guy from round your neck of the woods who's had the worst experience ever from them, take a look at it - don't want to make a bad situation worse!

& ta i'll have a look, havent even see the Shiplys site to be honest.. Am i bette getting a flatbed or towing it? Mother has a huuuuuuuuuge truck, but i assume you can't tow on a motorway!!

BMW M135i
Whats the deal with mileage and new engines, is the mileage changed on the ECU?
No it'll stay what it is now, at the end of the day if you get a decent condition secondhand engine (internally and visually) and its changed over well/properly without fvcking everything up then no one will be able to tell without checking the engine number against the V5. Which hardly anyone will ever do and they are quite difficult to read without removing other stuff so you won't have any problems selling it on at a later date.

Guessing its never had a cambelt though, disaster waiting the happen i'm afraid.

CBR1K, F21 125D
I had a couple of belts go, one made no noise at all really. Did when I turned it over again with 16 banana valves though.

R.I.P 182
I presume so??

I had a thought the same garage wanted £400 for a CAT, i bought one from cats4u or whatever it is, for £100!!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I presume so??

I had a thought the same garage wanted £400 for a CAT, i bought one from cats4u or whatever it is, for £100!!

That's how much it is for a new cat from Renault. Iirc a yaris one is £1k+ from Toyota.

Genuine cats are very expensive because of the metals inside them, copy-cats dont have much in them and so are very cheap!
Change teh engine is your best bet tbh, but first get it out of the garage as you will be running up a labour bill

R.I.P 182
Its had services, am i supposed to know what is done and when?! It was a good few years ago, they havent been changed in the last 2 years.. I never used to use the car much, so was done on age rather than mileage!!

I haven't come on here to be slated, its had the f**king things changed, its been serviced when it should have been!!!

R.I.P 182
Yes!

I know the last one was expensive.. Again, i hardly used the car until the last year, so whatever has been done is hardly in the front of my mind, and again, i've moved house 2 months ago, and all my documents are somewhere (including v5 etc etc..

Bloody hell you get critiscised for farting on here.!!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Its had services, am i supposed to know what is done and when?! It was a good few years ago, they havent been changed in the last 2 years.. I never used to use the car much, so was done on age rather than mileage!!

I haven't come on here to be slated, its had the f**king things changed, its been serviced when it should have been!!!

Jesus. Ok.

It was this part that confused me though. Jus' sayin'

Sorry Fred, been using on my phone and skimmed replies.

I don't think its ever been done, so probably why its died!

I was having a natter with the old dear and probably best to go with replacing the engine.. The guys havent even looked properly but he's said i'm not looking at getting much change from £800..

Makes sense I guess :S

R.I.P 182
Its never been done as just a change on its own, i'm assuming its done on the 5yr service with the fluids etc that they do.. I don't pay much attention which is probably why I get shafted with ££!!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
& ta i'll have a look, havent even see the Shiplys site to be honest.. Am i bette getting a flatbed or towing it? Mother has a huuuuuuuuuge truck, but i assume you can't tow on a motorway!!

You can tow on the motorway, i'm the 1 who's had probems with a recovery company. I hired a trailer on a full weekend for £70, day rate is about £50. If you have something that can tow then it's a mornings work getting it to Budgie, i can recommend a trailer hire company i've used twice and based in Hullbridge.