ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182 Project

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Without measuring pulley sizes and working out ratios to find the pulley for the bhp, restrictors will do. Out of the 2 options it's going to be easier to swap over restrictors while it's been mapped on the rollers to reach the target bhp. All i have to do is remove the 90 degree silicon hose between the supercharger and intercooler to change restrictors.

Read this from start to finish. This looks like an incredible piece of work and it's obvious how much love is going into this build. Nice to see someone going down the s/c route as opposed to the turbo'd route too!

I look forward to seeing this completed. :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Read this from start to finish. This looks like an incredible piece of work and it's obvious how much love is going into this build. Nice to see someone going down the s/c route as opposed to the turbo'd route too!

I look forward to seeing this completed. :)

I really appreciate your comments :) and everyone else for that matter. I'll be at the workshop later today, tonight we'll be plumbing in the boost hoses and fixing the FMIC and oil cooler in place (amongst other small bits) so more photos to follow.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Spent a few hours this evening in the workshop, I made sure the kettle was on and coffee was made. My job is to supply the parts for my mate who's doing the work, so in between anything being done on the Clio I'm running about picking parts up and ordering.

A follow on to the restrictor post, as mentioned it sits in the intercooler outlet and inside the silicon hose

13477624393_b9daa14994.jpg

13477508245_25ee8ef9ff.jpg

Oil cooler is fitted using threaded bar to hang from the rail

13477493535_ea14709a39.jpg

FMIC is drilled and fixed using M8 bolts along with black boost hoses

13477590163_1f060679b3.jpg

13477576863_a78f50d9d5.jpg

Black silicon hose to replace the KTR blue, this is a blanking plug on the boost run where a DV can be fitted

13477575865_e31263f029.jpg

Gearbox was filled too

13477540965_0cec4a71f0.jpg

New radiator top support bracket ordered from Renault

13477553545_f4f08bc9c2.jpg

76mm silicon 90 degree bends and alloy pipe bought for the induction pipe run, I just need to order the induction filter now

13477588685_c584e28c11.jpg

New header tank filled with fresh Type D coolant

13477419715_e2384b4efb.jpg

The headlights were taken away to be corrected, makes such a big difference

Before

13477969544_7f05338f00.jpg

13477706483_de7152e7e8.jpg

After

13477555443_fc6d07771f.jpg

13477566383_21d0243df1.jpg

13477507303_65d49ed619.jpg

We're almost there, a handful of small jobs to do which will require another evenings work. Phase 1 Clio 172 fuel return lines and fuel sender to fit, finish the induction run, fit a breather filter on and I think we're pretty much there. Front bumper is back on and it's back on all 4 wheels, so here's a couple of engine bay photos showing where we're at as of tonight.

13477790154_cd20bdb6f0.jpg

13477517773_4c5bfca151.jpg

Can just about see the FMIC behind the grill

13477437525_fdb2108a41.jpg

Looks good mate, the only thing I'd point out is the oil reservoir should be level or below the supercharger, I removed my carbon canister and put it there.

Also, if you need oil in the future I can supply an alternative oil for around £40/L.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Looks good mate, the only thing I'd point out is the oil reservoir should be level or below the supercharger, I removed my carbon canister and put it there.

Also, if you need oil in the future I can supply an alternative oil for around £40/L.

Morning Dan, oil reservoir? Do you mean the pot with the blue lid? This is in the same place as where Dom has his located. Regards oil do you mean the Rotrex traction fluid? That's handy to know as I've been told it's around the £100/l mark

Morning Dan, oil reservoir? Do you mean the pot with the blue lid? This is in the same place as where Dom has his located. Regards oil do you mean the Rotrex traction fluid? That's handy to know as I've been told it's around the £100/l mark

Yes mate. If you have a read of the rotrex tech notes it advises it must be below of level else it can over pressurise as it's got its own oil pump internally.

Yes the traction fluid, I've worked on supplying an alternative to the traction fluid and have run it in my own vehicle for 10k now.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Yes mate. If you have a read of the rotrex tech notes it advises it must be below of level else it can over pressurise as it's got its own oil pump internally.

Ok I'll have a look, it'll mean the bumper back off and to try and re route the hose run with the reservoir in a different location. I'm not sure where I can mount it as room is tight. It's that Dom has run his charger conversion for 12k with the reservoir setup in the same place and assume he's not had any problems.

If I need any traction fluid I'll be contacting you for a bottle :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
But it's a JC5 box the clue is in the 'J'

NFP is for PK6 box's etc again 'P' being the clue!! Haha :)

Appreciate this mornings lesson :) I wasn't to know, I have to assume when I'm buying sundries from a main dealer they know what they're talking about and go with what they tell me. On the other hand I know the Clio uses Type D coolant so I'm ok when ordering it.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Appreciate this mornings lesson :) I wasn't to know, I have to assume when I'm buying sundries from a main dealer they know what they're talking about and go with what they tell me. On the other hand I know the Clio uses Type D coolant so I'm ok when ordering it.

That wasn't aimed at you by the way, I have the same problem when dealing with one guy at my parts department!!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
That wasn't aimed at you by the way, I have the same problem when dealing with one guy at my parts department!!

All cool hence the reply, you learn something new as they say. I'll have to speak to the parts guy again, maybe he'll give me the right oil heavily discounted (or free) due to an error on his behalf. I'd rather know now than have something go wrong out on the road. Appreciate you pointing it out :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Rich I let Opie oils sort out my gearbox oil.

I'm going to pop into Renault shortly, you'd just assume going to main dealers they would give you the correct oil having all the info to hand.

I've just ordered the phase 1 Clio 172 fuel return lines so hopefully they'll be in by Tuesday or Wednesday. I've also purchased a second hand fuel sender unit from Michael Woodford and that should be in the post today. Now it's just the air filter to order

Clio 182
Nice build Ricardo.
What's the cost on doing a supercharge conversion. Just a rough figure if I was going to get a used setup.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
incy-spider this is the right oil isn't it?

I popped into Renault earlier with the invoice to the parts department to have a word, they couldn't apologize enough for the error and even offered to change the gearbox fluid free of charge. Of course this isn't going to happen but a kind gesture, they're now going to speak to the technician who recommended the gearbox oil to the parts guy. So another 3 litres of gearbox oil, and apparently a courtesy phone call on it's way to me on Monday.

13489046765_9a6bfd552b.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Nice build Ricardo.
What's the cost on doing a supercharge conversion. Just a rough figure if I was going to get a used setup.

I paid £1450 for 99% of the kit, things like air filter induction run and spark plugs were missing. Along with the sundries such as the genuine cambelt kit, Valeo clutch, fluids, change of boost hoses, jubilee clips I think I'm up to about £2300. This also includes treats like the Forge silicon coolant hoses, I didn't have to buy them but thought why the hell not.

I still have the mapping to pay for

Last edited:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Not really much left to do really, the last week has been spent ordering the final pieces of the induction setup. So a 76mm 45 degree silicon bend and air filter all sorted. The absolute last part of the jigsaw has been the biggest ball ache, running the phase 1 Clio 172 fuel setup comprising of the fuel rail, fuel lines and the fuel sender. The fuel rail already came with the kit with the Megane 225 injectors fitted, unfortunately the fuel sender unit was damaged and there's no fuel lines.

I've sorted a fuel sender (hopefully) Supposed to be in the post Tuesday. No fuel lines about anywhere, 1 of the lines are now obsolete so I couldn't even bite the bullet and buy new from Renault. I called Cit-Ren and a few local breakers but they've all come back with nothing about. Thursday a mate who owns a phase 1 has said he'll let me have the phase 1 setup if he has my 182 parts, very generous of him so hopefully this Sunday I should have the very last parts to finish the conversion. Monday night should see the induction setup complete and the fuel lines and sender fitted.... Job done. I should have photos of a completed engine bay with filter fitted, I'm not 100% on whether I'll stay with the Ramair filter, it was cheap and will give me an idea of dimensions that will fit in the engine bay.

Then, time to book it in for mapping.....

P.S I hate the new FlickR setup

45 degree silicon bend
13626695055_19c40db437.jpg

Ramair filter

Dimensions
Neck internal diameter: 80mm
Filter Length: 175mm
Filter Base Width: 140mm
Filter Top Width: 100mm

13626656425_2f28e5d1dc.jpg

13626662053_156d3557e0.jpg

Many.
Have been following since you started, will be brilliant once it's done.

Ive seen your struggle for the fuel pipes, really wished I could help you out with that as I saw how hard it was for you, I guess that's what happens when you're after something most people throw away from a reasonably rare car. I bet once you've sorted some, you'll find loads up for sale!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Thanks Alex, it'll be sods law a phase 1 will come up to break next week! Fingers crossed the problem is solved, I'd still like a second fuel return line as a spare though just to be on the safe side. I spoke to a mate last night and he mentioned kit cars using nylon fuel lines and nylon connectors, another idea was to source a Renault OE fuel connector that clips to the rail and another that clips to the sender then purchase nylon fuel line to make a return line. Nothing is impossible, but hopefully I won't have to go to all that effort.

Clio 172 Monaco blue
This is an amazing project and hats off to you for taking it on, love sc and loved the bungee straps:)
keep up the great work and can't wait to see a few photos when done, esp of your big grin:) well done and sorry for your losses

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
As we had half decent weather here in Southend I decided to finish the induction setup side of things. It's all in 76mm compromising of 90 and 45 degree silicon bends, in between that I've also bought 76mm alloy hard pipe to use as joiners and as a hard pipe section to complete the induction run. The supercharger bolts in exactly the same location as the AC pump, the supercharger bracket actually bolts onto the AC bracket. So the induction run starts below the alternator and will end up with the filter situated next to the battery. As I'm running with the satin black 'OE' theme this meant the hard pipe had to be painted.

There are 2 90 degree bends, 1 runs directly off the charger and points up, the 2nd 90 degree bend makes the induction run sit in front of the injector rail and run parallel with the front bulkhead. The pic below shows the 2nd 90 degree, from this 90 there's the 76mm alloy hard pipe. The other end has the 45 degree bend to point the induction filter into position next to the battery as in the other pic.

13477517773_4c5bfca151.jpg

13641198363_c1fcf909f2.jpg

13641175705_466b514fd5.jpg

13641161103_a1df480ab4.jpg

Mock up showing 45 degree bend with filter and hard pipe
13649614045_a4bc0b256c.jpg

13649939774_6f5dec446e.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Great work Rich, black pipe work is where its at. :approve:

My head comes back on Tuesday. :D