ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ricardos Petrol Blue Supercharged 182 Project

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I'm having the stock ECU mapped, i'd love to go standalone with the Gen90 as it's plug n play. Another ECU i'd purchase would be the Adaptronic. I need to see how the funds work out.

I thought a ecu came with the package mate?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I thought a ecu came with the package mate?

I bought the kit 2nd hand, the chap i bought it off also had the std ECU mapped as well..... Which conveniently reminds me, he still hasnt sent it to me even though i bought the kit 2 months ago and sent him postage money over 2 weeks ago. Nothing in the post even after he posted in this thread saying it was packaged up and being sent out.... Thank you tom172cup

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Will be a ktec map on that anyway, so not to worry too much.

My original plan was to get it up and running on the mapped ECU then take it to RS to tweak it. After speaking to Mick at Diamond on Wednesday about trying to use the ECU it presents more trouble than its worth, so the plan is to map it with my ECU. I'd love to go standalone to get the most out of what I have, I haven't ruled it out 100% just yet.

Anyway, more parts bought and ordered at Renault today. Megane 225 spark plugs purchased, and ordered a new top radiator bracket as the stud on the old bracket snapped. That should be in Renault tomorrow. If the weather is as sunny tomorrow I'll be painting a couple of engine parts, so more photos to come hopefully.

13151353345_a7d78b9cb2_b.jpg

. by Ricard o1, on Flickr

Audi A5
Yeah I guess if you were to use the mapped ECU you would need the UCH, keys and key barrel for that to work?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Yeah I guess if you were to use the mapped ECU you would need the UCH, keys and key barrel for that to work?

Correct, I'd at least need the transponder and the owner keeps the blade from the key. The other theoretical option is to swap my ECU, UCH and key for the other but then it presents another problem. I have a 182, the other Clio is a 172 Cup model so the UCH on mine might have items that his UCH won't have so might not work.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Yeah it's going to be a pain either way.

Have you you got any mates with a trailer?

I do have a friend with a trailer, worse case I'll hire one for £65 the weekend to take it up to Leeds. It'll get there one way or another :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I do have a friend with a trailer, worse case I'll hire one for £65 the weekend to take it up to Leeds. It'll get there one way or another :)

Im taking mine to RS tuning.

Going to hire a recovery truck. :)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I thought I'd paint a couple of bits as the weather's nice today, it should be enough drying time for when they go back on the engine the early part of next week. I'm also going to paint the rocker cover and inlets in satin black too to match the satin black hard boost pipe and intercooler. It probably won't look exciting but it tidies up the bay a little bit. Rocker and inlets painted Tuesday or Wednesday. Paint finish obviously won't be in the same league as powdercoating but it will do for me.

Also while I was in the shed I found a load of bits I can sell to help buy other parts for the project which I'll put up in the classifieds. I also found a new thermostat and O ring which I bought for the RB 182 so I'll fit that on the PB.

13168736695_d839bb9dc9_c.jpg

13168972354_f7c2a12f57_c.jpg

Flatted back a little
13168667185_83e266bf3f_c.jpg

13168748423_b38657b72f_c.jpg

Primer going on
13168729123_05e2744797_c.jpg

13168720883_0c312b9e4c_c.jpg

Satin Black going on
13168602085_9b142c111c_c.jpg

13168686823_5f34820c4a_c.jpg

13168675253_a87a47bae3_c.jpg

13168817394_4761d13034_c.jpg

New thermostat and O ring
13168695145_6883265918_c.jpg

13168932374_4b1e40dac6_c.jpg

IMG_1253 by Ricard o1, on Flickr

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
Hello mate like chi says I transport cars round the country so am travelling around quite a lot so if you need it moving let me know where and when and I might be able to do you a mates rates price on a back load.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Hello mate like chi says I transport cars round the country so am travelling around quite a lot so if you need it moving let me know where and when and I might be able to do you a mates rates price on a back load.

Hi Lee, really appreciate that. It's probably going to be another 4 weeks, RS Tuning in Leeds need at least 2 weeks notice to when it's booked in. I'd say if it's been mapped it should be ok to drive back so I assume it would need taking up to Leeds from the Colchester area and hopefully drive it back.

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
Hi Lee, really appreciate that. It's probably going to be another 4 weeks, RS Tuning in Leeds need at least 2 weeks notice to when it's booked in. I'd say if it's been mapped it should be ok to drive back so I assume it would need taking up to Leeds from the Colchester area and hopefully drive it back.

Yea that's fine mate just let me know as and when and if I'm already doing a job up that way then I should be able to do it mate. Location is fine as im based out of Colchester.
https://www.facebook.com/ApexMotorsportLogistics

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
So another evening spent up at the workshop. While the proper work is being done like the engine going back in I'm tucked away in the corner spraying a couple of brackets and the top inlet. A little rub down, primer and satin black on the alternator brackets. The top inlet rubbed down a little then layers of VHT paint sprayed on, nothing exciting but hopefully tidies up the engine bay a little. I've gone with the satin black theme with everything to match the boost pipes and intercooler.

Tonight the engine goes back in, all the mounts back on and driveshafts fitted. It's not a late night tonight, once the engine's in place we're going the to do list along with what parts we're still needing. There's also a basic mock up of how the boost run will go, intercooler position and so on, these won't be fitted until things like the coolant hoses, radiator, ECU, battery etc are in. I'm looking forward to more progress tomorrow night with plenty of pics.

Primer
13254456803_613c48a85b_c.jpg

Brackets in satin black
13254446773_35926679f6_c.jpg

Rubbed down
13254888614_35a09bd4cb_c.jpg

VHT coats applied
13254279055_ba655c05fb_c.jpg

Heat from the twin Halogen lights on the inlet
13254620434_bfddd5911f_c.jpg

Done and drying
13254257305_26918dac68_c.jpg

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
A few more bits done in the time allowed this evening. Coolant hoses on, radiator in. Finished off the top inlet, thought I'd make it look a little different by sanding back the Renaultsport letters back to a half polished effort. Also mocked up the intercooler and pipe run, this should be all done next Monday. Once that's done the headlights and bumper can go back on, it should then resemble something like a Clio again. By the end of next week it should be back on all 4 wheels and rolling. It looks worse than what it is and there's no real graft to do, there's no rush in getting it there.

I now need to source a phase 1 Clio 172 fuel sender unit and fuel lines, I have the phase 1 fuel rail just need everything else.

13276590585_51c3fce304_c.jpg

13276908274_0cd0bc5883_c.jpg

13276873954_14267252f2_c.jpg

13276885534_3c392bee9e_c.jpg

13276862124_68148bf7fd_c.jpg

Blue boost hoses purely for mock up, I have the black hoses just not cut to size yet
13276525805_f94487333d_c.jpg

13276515735_7c54fced0b_c.jpg

Bungee cords holding things in place to get an idea of locations
13276503195_c2b74a1e40_c.jpg

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Love the inlet, I'm breaking a ph1 open to offers on the bits you need mate as I'm clueless.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Love the inlet, I'm breaking a ph1 open to offers on the bits you need mate as I'm clueless.

Potential lifesaver Chi, i need the fuel sender unit from out of the tank and the fuel return line. It runs all the way from the right hand side of the fuel rail under the car to the sender unit, i believe it's in 2 pieces and clips together under the car. If you can sell them to me that would be a big help...... Is it an X reg? It has to be from an early phase 1 as the Y reg phase ones run the phs 2 fuel setup

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Yes mate x reg, not sure I've got the skills to remove it lol.. Get it on the way to efi ;)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Ideally i need them fitted to the car before it goes anywhere, i'm not sure EFI can map a std ECU

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Chris is able too afaik but he doesn't do it.

keep up the good work mate, FCS14 time!

I might give him a call, and cheers. It will be ready for FCS14 but not sure if I'm going... Gutted Sangliers was cancelled :(

Ex 182 owner
Great project mate, one of the things I would like to do myself eventually For my own education. What are the benefits in using the megan pulley and spark plugs? Anything else a stock 182 needs swapping out bar the remap of course, (injectors)?

Good of luck with your build.

chris

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
A small update, restrictors.

My understanding of a restrictor is something needed to hold the power at a certain bhp. The restrictor has an internal hole at a certain diameter to achieve the bhp level, the bigger the hole the more power. The other way from what I've been told is to change the pulley size, in this case to create more power it's down to the restrictor internal hole diameter.

I've been Pming Craig as he's running a supercharger as well so he's given me a diameter of hole to work with. What I've done is have 4 restrictors made all with different diameter holes, this will give me scope to get the right power of hopefully 250bhp. I've spoken to Paul at RS Tuning in Leeds and he says 250bhp is achievable on a stock engine so I'm happy with that. So I'll fit the smallest diameter hole restrictor first to see how it goes, then swap them if needed to up the power.

Again when speaking to Paul he said to fit the restrictor after the supercharger and before the intercooler. The restrictor has been made so the small diameter fits inside the intercooler outlet, the bigger diameter is the same size as the silicon hose internal diameter so the silicon hose slides over the restrictor then onto the intercooler outlet. I had a friend draw the design then have an engineering company machine them up.

I have photos and uploaded them to FlickR but they've now changed the way you copy and paste the links to get them on here :rolleyes: and me not being computer know how don't know how to get them on here..

13413963445_a117f824e7.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Looks tidy mate!

i share the thought of different pully sizes though. Now when you restrict the airflow you're basically throwing energy away because of the restrictions. If you would fit a bigger sc pulley the sc will eat less energy from the crank while still being able to provide enough air to the engine. This is way easier to adapt though!