ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

reusing head bolts and gasket

172 Rally Car
Is it acceptable to reuse both items on am engine that's only just been put together and not yet run?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Head bolts *could* be reused but for price its not worth it imo. Headgasket I'd replace everytime.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yes. Measure the head bolts, if they are 117.5mm or less from under the head to the end of the thread.

​If it's a multi layer steel type and it's nearly new and undamaged it'll be fine. I've done this numerous times, nothing wrong with it :)

53 Clio's & counting
For the sake of the price of a new gasket and bolts is it worth taking the chance? If it works you have saved your self about £80, if it doesn't work you will have to rip the head off again - i'd just spend the extra and put new ones on IMO

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I did it on a 50 quid polo once, don't think i'd chance it on a pricey lump though

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/faqsDetail.php?catID=10

Q: Can I reuse an MLS gasket?

A: Here is our take on this. If the engine hasn't been run very long (less than a few hundred miles or less than a few hours) an MLS gasket can almost surely be re-used if you have to remove the head.We go by that guide and haven't had problems. Some people get away with a longer period, but due to the fact everyone has a different project and variance in between, there is no standard suggestion.
One thing we can say, is that if the "black coating" layer on the top and bottom of the gasket has come off in any way during removal, it should be discarded and replaced.

I completely agree with the above tuner. This is how I do it.

172 cup, Impreza P1
http://www.vacmotorsports.com/faqsDetail.php?catID=10

Q: Can I reuse an MLS gasket?

A: Here is our take on this. If the engine hasn't been run very long (less than a few hundred miles or less than a few hours) an MLS gasket can almost surely be re-used if you have to remove the head.We go by that guide and haven't had problems. Some people get away with a longer period, but due to the fact everyone has a different project and variance in between, there is no standard suggestion.
One thing we can say, is that if the "black coating" layer on the top and bottom of the gasket has come off in any way during removal, it should be discarded and replaced.

I completely agree with the above tuner. This is how I do it.

​+1

head bolts off renault are €144 :/ (f7r engine)
HG set was €155
trade prices,

Still though I wouldn't be using the hg again!!
If I knew the head bolts...
I would use them a second time just give them a bit extra tightening.

wouldn't use them a third time though!

172 cup, Impreza P1
It's all about personal experience and mine has been good.

​Obviously wouldn't use an old hg but an mls one nearly new, I would.