ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Resonance/ Metallic sound @ 4k rpm

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
hey guys

I've recently noticed that when passing through 4k rpm up or down, there's a metallic/resonance noise coming from the engine bay. If i hold the revs @ 4k the noise will stay.

Its only started happening in the last 2 weeks, but i had a KTEC cat back exhaust fitted in the new year... Could this be anything to do with it ?

I think it could be heatshield, but im a bit worried, Has anyone ever experienced this kind of thing ?

Cheers guys:cool:

Clio Sport 182
I had a milltek exhaust fitted about 6 months ago, and had a similar issue a few days after fitting, played about with the exhaust and the heatshield and problem solved, for now anyway.

If the noise is coming from the engine bay, I doubt it has anything to do with the heatshield or the exhaust though

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I had similar noise and it was the baffles in my KTEC Stealth centre section.

I think if you try and prod the centre section or get under the car and have a play with it, you should be able to hear bits rolling around in it if it the cause. Warranty will sort you out if you bought it new.

BG182®
Check you coil pack is secured down properly. Mine was lose and made a large rattle from the engine. It had no play in it when moved with a hand but enough to rattle at 4-6k rpm.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
I had a similar thing. Ended up my baffles had rotted in the back box and was fubard.

I now get a knock when pulling away since fitting new box and mount. The RS fun never ends

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
Right.

Just had my mate around to have a listen and sounds like its coming from the top of the engine, he seems to think a rocker has snapped...
Any got any ideas ?
Is this worth getting fixed or time to get a new engine ?

Nimbus 197, Ph1 172
Didnt think these engines ran rocker arms? I wouldnt expect an engine to run for too long with a snapped rocker!

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Right.

Just had my mate around to have a listen and sounds like its coming from the top of the engine, he seems to think a rocker has snapped...
Any got any ideas ?

My money is on it being exhauxt or heat sheild mate, thats what mine was does sound like its coming from engine bay tho at exactly 4000rpm too !! . dummies at renault dealer had my dash out under warranty lookin for it behind there to even thou i told em it was the exhaust !!
turned out to be baffles in ctr section in the end .

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Want about your top engine mount, when mine broke a piece of mental got lodged between the rubber part and the engine causing a very loud metalic noise.

Another thing to check is your bolts on your alternator one of mine dropped of and sounded just like a heat shield...just push down on it when someones reving to see if it is.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
i get this rattle! i looked under the car and it seems to be comin from the exhaus, the middle bit, but in the car it does sound like its cumin from the engine lol

As said probs the exhaust or heatshield, but on mine it turned out to be a lose bolt on the altenator :S

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
Okay guys thanks..

I've got a ktec ultra performance super sport, so it doesnt have a centre section, its straight through so i dont think thats it, also there is no heatshield down by the exhaust manifold, or i couldnt see one i'll have another look later.

I'll have a push on the bolts on the alternator and stuff when my dad revs it later
And i'll try and get a video to show you guys

Thanks for the advice.

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
I've just takena look and i cant see anything loose that could be rattling there to be honest.

I've recorded a little video of the engine being revved up to show you the sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGZ--iam04Y

Gonna put it in my garage and took a look under the lights but i cant see anything wrong it tbh.

DrewBear11

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST
Right i think its a bit of a false alarm.

After prodding around it appears to be the fuel rail cover rattling with the revs of the engine. With weight over the cover it stops rattling.

So does anyone know how i can tighten up the fuel rail cover or take it off etc.

Thanks a lot gents :)

RS RIP
was just about to say, fuelrail-guard. :) It will come loose again haha.. i have to tighten mine every once in a while

... you need a 10 size socket, long pipe one (sorry for my English) . there are two bolts, but they are like 8 cm deep inside the cover. Feel along the front-side of the fuelrailguard and you will find the two holes.

182 cup
I had the same prob at 4k too, turned out it was the exhaust fitting kit at fault. One on the spring ahd snapped and was rattling! 25 squid for a new one - hey presto!

Just incase anyone was having the same prob and was looking for answers ;)

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Right.

Any got any ideas ?

:lolup::lolup::lolup:

ROFL

Thats the bestest..... evar

Black 182 FF
Right i think its a bit of a false alarm.

After prodding around it appears to be the fuel rail cover rattling with the revs of the engine. With weight over the cover it stops rattling.

So does anyone know how i can tighten up the fuel rail cover or take it off etc.

Thanks a lot gents :)

Just found a similar problem about an hour ago and after a quick search on this forum you've saved me loads of time and effort, cheers :clap:

Fiesta Zetec S TDCi
Ooooh, I think I have the same thing as well, noticed a noise a couple of days ago and been panicking it's something nasty... guess it's probably not so I'll ignore it until service time in a month or so then investigate :)

Black 182 FF
I was panicking mine was something nasty too, had a poke about and knew it wasn't the heatsheild, didn't think it was a mount, but couldn't see anything else. Now I'm going back out there to try and tighten the thing up!