ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Sport Clio 182 - Looking to buy as an exciting daily drive. Talk to me please

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Hello everyone,

Hopefully you can all give me some valid input. Im 27 and looking for a more exciting daily drive. (Currently a Ford Transit Connect 90ps) I have a turbocharged project car, i just want this to be cheap thrills day to day with some comfort thrown in.
My criteria is that it has to be cheapish to buy, cheap to run, relaible, new as possible and all round good fun to drive. Also want it to be 100% out of the box, im not wanting to have to modify it to get it to be any good. My budget is 6K tops really.

I do 50 miles a day to and from work and 75% of that is through country lanes and B roads.

Scouting around, my options seem to be Renault Sport Clio, Fiesta ST, Civic type R and not much else to be honest. I dont want a turbo, has to be gutsy and NA.

I think ive narrowed this down to a Clio 182, full fat with both cup packs. Other than the belts and servicing, what else should i be looking for?

What can i get for my budget?
Is there anything in particular to look for or avoid?
Those of you that daily drive your Clios, what are they like to live with?
Are they reliable?
Comfortable on a motorway if need be?
MPG?
Cost of consumables?

Sorry for a heap of questions, but please help anyway you can. :)

Kind regards

Frayz

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Re: Renault Sport Clio 182 - Looking to buy as an exciting daily drive. Talk to me pl

Use all or your budget + a couple more hundred for a really nice trophy-

Or save a couple of k & buy a mint 4k 172 cup.....

S

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Re: Renault Sport Clio 182 - Looking to buy as an exciting daily drive. Talk to me pl

Ive heard the trophy isnt great a daily runner due to the shocks that wear and need constant expensive maintenence.

Is this correct?

What equipment comes with a Trophy compared to the others mate?

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

trophy has A/C instead of Climate control-

The dampers ideally need a refurb at around 40k-

You lose the Zenons, lose climate, & some other non essential shizzle-

You do get Recaros though that are nice & comfy & bloody good suspension-

S

Nice seats, different alloys and the aforementioned suspension. Plus exclusivity I guess.

I use my 182 as a daily and love it. Reliability isn't top drawer but it hasn't cost me any serious money thus far. MPG is about 30 on the short stuff, nearer 40 if driving sensibly on the motorway.

They're relatively comfortable but no motorway cruiser.

BG 182 FF

Trophy has different seats recaro's at the front and cloth rear bench as standard.
Different alloys, spoiler and lights.
And has uprated shocks. Hope got them all.

However I agree with Steve if you got a 172 cup would save money buying the car over a 182/trophy. Also the servicing on belts is cheaper as it doesn't have air con.
And you still get the cup spoiler and turinis. Only downside may be is they only have cloth seats on half leather but there are plenty for sale on here all the time.
Mpg i think you will get 28-32 depending how you drive it.
Consumables personally i don't think are that expensive on the whole i.e discs and pads plenty of offers buy the traders on here to.
Reliability i would say about 8/10, had a few things like a driveshaft needing replacing resantly and my blowers got stuck on full to and needed a new sealer kit for the cat which was about 30 quid for that but all sorted now.
Hope that helps.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Cheers guys, all good feedback, keep it coming.

i think id rather have the climate and gas lights than the trophy to be honest. I dont need this car to be my only performance car, so would rather the best day to day hot hatch :)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-

Then my advice would be find a low mileage racing blue Full Fat 182 ( all the options) you should be able to get a really good low mileage one under 50k with FSH & belts done for 45/47 private

Racing blue & liquid yellow hold the residual value the most, silver & arctic blue are the worst for value & black somewhere in the middle....

something like this
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../page/3/radius/1501/postcode/da68bu?logcode=p
S

I have a 182 had it about 18months this is my experience, I love it brilliant car and fun to drive. I am on 67k so just about to get my belts done. I have just replaced my rear discs this is because there are thin and can pit easily.

As motorway drive its fine for me I have a millitek cat back system on which is isn't too loud either. My girlfriend does 75miles a day in my car which is mostly motorway and we get 37mpg also cost of petrol is around £100 a wk doing that millege.

Reliable I would say yes never had a problem. If you do get one you can get discount for some parts also people are always selling bits and bobs.

www.renparts.co.uk

I picked up my 182 with both cup packs for 2k last June iv done about 10k in it since having it and had the belt done & dephaser done and it needed 1 foglight and that's basically it! Its now on 119 thousand miles now though! So don't think you need to be spending loads on a super low mileage one. I'm happy enough knowing that if anything does go wrong then i saved the money in the first place & don't mind paying for the parts...
I think it's nice to drive as a daily driver and would have another one again

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy

My 182 FF also is a high miler. Mines on 98k. Just had all my belts done and she rolled through M.O.T without me spending a pennie. I do roughly 50miles a week back and fall work and im doing 34mpg. and around 45mpg on motorways.

Its great fun to drive and they hold the road well. I dont think your be dissappointed really if you got one. Get test drving..

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

was using my ph1 172 for my daily 40 mile comute, was fine, done 38mpg doing nice quick flowing driving using the mid range revs. ultra relable, all my 6 clios have been though

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Looks like ive found a car...

55 Reg Clio 182, full fat with both cup pack. Inferno orange with only 7k genuine miles on the clock. FRSH and just had cambelt done. Its up for £6k. Absolute minter.

Belongs to a friends dad who has it as a second car.

Now just to sell the Connect :)

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1

sounds cracking mate! just be aware, low miles does not mean its a better car. if they sit around too long things seize etc etc

but sounds lovely!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

As a daily drive, on all sorts of roads they're just fine.

I did 96k over 4 years from new before retiring it to live its final days out on track. Didn't miss a beat during that time, and was more than comfortable enough (even in poverty Cup spec!).

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Okay guys, dilema.

Please bare in mind this will be my daily drive.

Ive the following options,

55 Reg Clio 182, full fat with both cup pack. Inferno orange with only 7k genuine miles on the clock. FRSH and just had cambelt done. Its up for £6.5k. Absolute minter.
Belongs to a friends dad who has it as a second car and im pretty confident it will be one of the very best in the country.

However, for the same money i can buy a 40k mile Trophy???

The full fat is a freak car with not a single mark on it anywhere.. but is the Trophy really much better? And what about those expensive shocks that need a rebuild every 200yds? :D

There's is no way I'd pay £6.5k for the worst colour. 7k miles or not. That just means it's going to be tighter than a ducks arse.

I'd much rather have the Trophy. If you have a search you'll find the truth about the dampers and the 'rebuilds'

172/vx220t/m135i

Think i'd take the minter, whether it's the worst colour or not is purely a matter of preference.

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio

Frayz i bought a black 182 with both cup packs 6 months ago. To this day i still enjoy it as ive just done a trackday at Oulton today. I came from a Subaru ive had 3 and some of my mates still have them. I paid 3.2K for an 05 plate with 60k and full history.

I do like the 182 but ive never driven a 172 cup,but thats the car a few people said i should of bought. But i do like the 182;)

RB182cup&golf gti

I'd take the minter everyday. Is your friend's dad the only owner of the car? Even better if so. Inferno is a nice colour too. 7k miles FRSH and belts done - you're effectively paying 6.5k for a brand new motor! IMO

TBH if it is just a daily then I really wouldnt be worries about getting one with cup suspension.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

6.5k for a brand new car were my thoughts entirely. His dad is the 2nd keeper and we all knew the lad that had it before. He used to keep it parked on carpet and used to detail the underside!! Crazy I know but those are the people that have owned it which is why I'm so sure its the best one I'm going to find. Out of choice I'd prefer a blue one but I can live with the orange because of how good the rest of it is.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

6.5k for a brand new car were my thoughts entirely. His dad is the 2nd keeper and we all knew the lad that had it before. He used to keep it parked on carpet and used to detail the underside!! Crazy I know but those are the people that have owned it which is why I'm so sure its the best one I'm going to find. Out of choice I'd prefer a blue one but I can live with the orange because of how good the rest of it is.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Cant wait to sell my van now guys.

Im itching to get the Clio. So excited lol.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :S:S:S:S:S:S

clio sport 182

thinking of selling my black/gold 182 with full fat cup packs etc etc soon .. 04 plate, just turned 40,000 miles, had the belts cambelt aux belt etc etc done in november, i am the 2nd owner was a polic lady before me and i only brought it in august last year but change in jobs means i will b doing more milage and b better off with a diesel .. looking around £5250ono if ur interested private message me??

The Trophy is a great car. I use it everyday for my short commute to the station. The ride is hard so if the roads you travel on are bumpy/pocked marked, etc, it may not be ideal as an everyday proposition. The dampers do not need a rebuild every 40k!! They are a consumable just like everyother damper be it OE or aftermarket; they wear depending on what roads they are driven on and how hard. Normal cup dampers need replacing too depending on wear, but with the Sachs you refurb them rather than replace them.

Typically 182/172 do around 32-38mpg average, but even so, with fuel prices the way they are and rising, I'd go with a diesel if your daily commute is 50 miles and there are plenty of performance diesels around, BMW 330d, Fabia VRS, Golf 150 TDI, Ibiza Cupra TDI, etc..

You can get a 172 for cheap nowdays, I got my phase 2, non cup with 59,000 on the clock on a 51 reg, it was up for £3300. with recent cam belt change, full service history. - I actually paid less.
Some on autotrader going for £2000 or cheaper for a phase 1.

Standard exhaust is noisy but small and hidden, and this means the 172 has a spare alloy wheel :)
Its a hard ride compared to my old car, you feel all the bumps, but the seats absorb them so its not uncomfortable and the seats themselves are very comfortable and supportive.

The xenons are amazing, the best headlights I've ever had, auto lights and wipers are useful too. The car has some rattles but they arn't too annoying.

As for daily driving, you need to warm the engine up first (doesnt take long) otherwise it kangeroos when cold, I do 40 miles a day on a mix of country roads at 60mph, and towns. Heavy clutch isnt really a problem you get used to it, my vauxhall movano (massive van) has a much heavier clutch so im used to it.
They have no power below 3500-4000rpm making commuting easy, without making massive power when you dont want it, but with enough power to do overtaking on straights when people do 40 in a 60 is easy.

They have good grip in the dry and ok grip in the wet even on budget tyres.
Very reliable so far, I get 37 - 40 mpg on my daily commute, but it uses a tank of fuel in a week and a half, £45 super unleaded. - 35 litres.

EDIT +1 on the previous post, I looked at fabia vrs, bmw 320td, golf gt tdi 150, when buying my clio. the only reason i went for the clio was because the fabia sold the day before, and the bmw was in rough condition. - I would seriously consider a diesel hot hatch the torque is so great you just have power all the time, where as you have to 'rag' the clio to make it go anywhere.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Taken a deposit on the Connect tonight guys and hopefully picking up my 182 FF on Monday.

I opted for the 7k mile minter in Inferno :)

BMW M135i

Just bear in mind that it needs its belts changing now if they haven't already been done reguardless of the 7k. Sure you're aware of this having followed your project thread on scoobynet but just thought i'd mention it so you weren't unawares.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6

I'd have gone for the Trophy TBH

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Belts were done in September 2010 fella :)

Now the itch not to modify it is huge haha, cheers for the props on my scooby project dude. :)