ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

removing Mk1 fuel tank

Clio Widearch
Hi

I'm just wondering if the fuel tank on a 1.4 Mk1 can be dropped from purely under the car without getting under the seats in the rear and also if a 16v fuel pump will definately fit directly in place of the 1.4 pump. I'm assuming the tanks and wiring are the same.

Thanks

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
The rear seat bases just lift out - disconnect the wiring and then unbolt the tank from underneath. Dead easy.

Depending on what your tank is like - there were a few different designs of tank / pump combination in the williams and 16v. Not sure what the lesser models were like.

So if you have a phase 1 16v the pump is not accessable from inside the car as it has a two hole tank (sender & pump) - but the phase 1 williams is a single hole (sender / pump)

Clio Widearch
Thanks guys. The thing is that there are no rear seats and the enclosure for the ICE is built to the car covering from the B pillar right back to the boot from bottom to top. Im hoiping the tank can be dropped with the pump in it without having to remove the wiring to it first. Or at least get it out a bit and then disconnect it as i can't take the wiring off from inside the car, To give you an idea heres a pic of what it was like when it was being built.

DSCF0026.jpg

I didn't think about the pump issue at the time. The thing is i'm getting fuel pressure issues (i think) on the volvo 1.7 turbo engine so i dont think the 1.4 pump is doing what it needs to....hence the change.