ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing drivers side drive shaft

LY R26 #288
I'm going to be removing my drive shaft tomorrow, what's the best way to get the shaft out of the hub?

Last time I tried it wouldnt budge. Everything was undone. I didn't wanna bash the end too much with a hammer incase I messed the thread up.

Lionel Richie
soak it in ye olde WD40, i've snapped hub pullers in half before, ended up putting an old hub nut on the end and going at it with a sledge hammer

LY R26 #288
Sounds like a right old job! I've got a puller I can try. Thing is I've got to re use the shaft after I've taken it out.

LY R26 #288
Still having a terrible job getting this out. Used a puller which I can't do any tighter and keep shocking the hub with a hammer but it's solid :(

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
wind a nut on so it's flush with the end of the threads, then hit the shaft HARD. You'll need a new nut but it should save the shaft

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Lots and lots of wd40 and a big hammer as suggested. Mine was a right b**ch. Failing that get the blow torch out but be careful not to get it too hot.

LY R26 #288
Thanks lads got it off with Fred's method. Lol I actually used a sledge. Thread on the drive shaft looks a bit dodgy but I think the new nut will wind on.

LY R26 #288
All done and the knocking noise is cured. The splined sleeve which joins the shaft and box was knackered.