ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing a private plate from a bare shell with no mot?

Anyone ever had to remove a private plate from a bare shell thats got no mot? I have a plate stuck on my car thats just a bare shell with no mot and was wondering if theres anyway round this???

RenaultSport 172
I done this back in December, I just sent the log book with the retention forms and a letter to explain that the car was a shell and was broken for parts.

RenaultSport 172
No problems at all! A lot easier than I thought. As I was told that some times they ask to see the car to inspect it, obviously transporting a bare shell to the DVLA would be a right pain in the ass!

No problems at all! A lot easier than I thought. As I was told that some times they ask to see the car to inspect it, obviously transporting a bare shell to the DVLA would be a right pain in the ass!

Yeah this is what i dont want them to ask me, hassle but i dont want to loose my plate, what did you put in your letter just that theres no mot as its a bare shell as it was broken for parts?

I had this issue. Apart from my car had been stolen and I was the unlucky 1% who the dvla randomly asked to inspect the vehicle lol
Needless to say it was a huge ball ache taking 5 times longer than necessary

1.5 dci Expression
I'm pretty sure that any vehicle with a cherished number has to have a current mot to allow for number plate transfer! My old gsxr had to have current mot for me to transfer it when I actually sold the plate itself and the dvla issued a new one!!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I'm pretty sure that any vehicle with a cherished number has to have a current mot to allow for number plate transfer! My old gsxr had to have current mot for me to transfer it when I actually sold the plate itself and the dvla issued a new one!!

This. My old plate was on a car with no MOT or tax. They point blank refused to swap it over, despite it putting money in their pocket.

This. My old plate was on a car with no MOT or tax. They point blank refused to swap it over, despite it putting money in their pocket.

Spoke to dvla today they saod aslong as the car hasnt been sorned for longer than 12 months then it can be done with no mot, anything over 12 months they wont do they said

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I done this back in December, I just sent the log book with the retention forms and a letter to explain that the car was a shell and was broken for parts.

Had the car been SORN more than 12 months? Ive got the same issue, an old non runner which has a private plate, its only a bloody Primera lol..