ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear carriers not lining up?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Need a bit of cs help/guidance.

Im changing the rear brake pads as we speak. I've managed to undo carriers, slot metal lower sleeve out, pop off springs replaced old pads with new and then done the reversal.

Ive gone to put the carriers back on but my caliper carrier bolt holes don't line up with the calipers themselves. I have woun the pistons back but no joy. It seems that the outside caliper lies flat upon the disc but with no free play to line up the bolt holes.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks, mark

efe17a6d.gif

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I bet money you're trying to move the wrong bit. I did this once. Just try moving everything around and you'll see it's the other part that moves.

Or give us a picture.

330i. E30 Touring.
Put the carrier on without the pads.

You should then be able to slot the pads in, tap the pin back in and put all the springs back.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I took the pads out like mike said and levered the on the disc and it's done! Sometimes it's the simple things that leave us confused lol

Thanks chaps :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Yes and taken it for a blast. I know pads need bedding in so could be that. I took ht down the country lanes behind me for 15mins or so and felt to be better towards the end.

I haven't touched any hoses or anything like that so theoretically it should be as good as before? It might just be in my mind!

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Also as mentioned above, my handbrake seems a tad slacker than before, is this common when changing rear pads?

Yes, mine felt slacker than before, only slightly, makes sure you have reset the handbrake a couple of times though and it may tighten. If not its super easier to tighten, undo and remove the mid heatshield (one just after the cat/gearstick) and you'll see the adjuster under there, hold it straight and tighten the nut.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
No probs tony, thanks for the spot earlier ;)

That was going to be my next question! Thanks for that :) its definitely more slack. Have you got any pics? I remember seeing a thread here earlier when searching through for my op problem but can't remember the thread title.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
Here's a guide I found for a non sport, its essentially the same mechanism on a sport, adjusts just the same.
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?507149-Non-sport-Mk2-Ph2-Handbrake-adjustment-guide

I also found a guide on another site:
http://www.performancetorque.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3540-CLIO-Handbrake-Adjustment-1*2

Once you've removed the middle heatshield its easy mate.

Just a little tip, don't adjust it then whack everything on again only to find your not happy with it, adjust it, hop out and see if its tight enough then adjust accordingly.

Try and adjust the handbrake, If you search and look through some old threads Fred had said the best way for adjusting the handbrake.

I just removed the heatshield, took the handbrake off and wound the bolt tight 4 turns, handbrake is much better now, but seeing as the platform sat wonky im wondering if my pads are touching the disc too much even when the handbrakes off, I'll check again soon.

P.s. Ferodo on the rear? is it worth it? just curious

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for that, I'll attack that either this afternoon or tomorrow.

As for the pads I know that they don't really do much but I got them for the same price as oem ones off my mate tom so seemed a no brainer.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I did the above, so thanks :)

Incase anybody is wandering its 4x 10mm bolts tht hold the heat shield over the center section. Undo them and then wind the 13mm nut clockwise to tighten the cable.