ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rdoxenham's 172 Cup Track Project

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Hi All,

Been putting this off for a while, but thought I must get down to it, get some feedback from people. I bought a 172 Cup about 8 months ago to slowly turn into a track/race car project, it's also been serving as my daily until it's no longer road legal (me and the Mrs are saving for a house deposit). So, I bought a 52-plate 75k mile car with one owner, from eBay, without seeing it and with no history... I got a bargain, but a LOT of risk. When I turned up to collect the car I was neither pleased or upset really, the bodywork was in really good condition for a 10 year old car, yet the wheels were absolutely knackered and I don't think the interior had EVER been cleaned.

I drove the car back to my house, noticed a lot of minor problems, the exhaust was rattling, the brakes were pretty dodgy but overall the car was sound and the engine strong. But not having any history with the car I wanted to make sure it was absolutely road-worthy. I carried out the main service myself and had a family friend replace the belts (with correct tools). I started ripping out all of the interior, took it back to the metal in every place that I could ready for the track, also non-essential items were removed... sound deadening, the radio etc. Then I really decided to go as close to race car as possible (within financial reason), so over the past 8 months of ownership I've built the car up with the following modifications with more being added all the time...

* Standard head/block/inlet
* 182 Manifold (Wrapped)
* KTR 182->172 Decat
* KTR Supersport Stealth Exhaust
* Magnecore Leads
* KTR Solid Top Mounts
* GAZ Coilovers
* Eibach Camber Bolts
* 10mm -1 degree rear camber shims
* Fully polybushed inc. dogbone mount
* Prima Racing Exhaust Mount
* Whiteline Rear ARB
* KTR Engine Mount
* Standard/Road 2118's with Federal RSR Tyres
* Cup Racer 2118's with Slicks
* Full 6-point FIA 'Caged' Roll Cage (currently only half fitted)
* Futura Bimarco Seats with Sabelt Harnesses
* OMP 300mm Wheel
* DS2500 with Brembo Max up-front
* Standard (New) Renault set-up at the rear
* MOTUL RBF600 Fluid
* Goodridge braided brake lines all round

I still have a polycarb rear screen and rear quarters to fit, currently looking for front windows but will likely buy new in a few weeks. Also got the Varley Red Top 25 to fit when I get the chance.

Got my first track day on Sunday, going for the track-day taster, got two sessions booked in so will see how the car performs and where I want to direct the financials towards, although it will probably be towards tuition ;-)

Open to opinions on my specification, will have plenty more to do to the car so stick around if you're interested in hearing what I'm planning on doing. Pics to follow!

Cheers
Rhys

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
The day I picked up the car, warning disgusting photos coming up...

IMG_20120728_174942.jpg

IMG_20120728_174955.jpg

IMG_20120729_193042.jpg

IMG_20120729_193049.jpg

And the condition of the wheels! Shocking!

IMG_20120728_174919.jpg

Last edited:
  172 Cup & K20 Ph1
First came the wheel refurb...

IMG_20120810_154634.jpg

Then put on a few modifications/improvements...

IMG_20120804_133945.jpg

IMG_20120805_160553.jpg

IMG_20120807_134315.jpg

With the coilovers fitted, at the GF's house...

IMG_20120826_105556.jpg

The wheels didn't last long on the car, sold them on as they were in mint condition and bought these beauties...

IMG_20121201_211809.jpg

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
No expert in exhaust wrapping but the first attempt yielded this... was quite happy with the results! Although don't ever ask me to swap a manifold on a 172 ever again, was it worth it? Probably not, but every little helps ;-)

IMG_20121117_170844.jpg

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Unfortunately not got any pics of the inbetween then and now, but pics of what it currently looks like today, shame about recent weather - not had a chance to clean it properly...

IMG_20130212_151824.jpg

IMG_20130212_151840.jpg

Cage, which needs stickers from previous owner removed and repainted in some areas as it really was a nightmare to get in!

IMG_20130212_151912.jpg

IMG_20130212_151940.jpg

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Things I need to do before Sunday's track day..

1) Tidy cables and put cable shrouding around them (anyone know where I can get decent, good quality shrouding to protect the rear loom?)

2) Fit the tow strap, not sure how difficult this is going to be, got a TRS one.

3) Get the passenger seat in with the harnesses.

4) Check fluid levels

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Well I can forget all of that, tried to start the car today, battery completely flat and I have no idea why.

If anyone is local to Basingstoke and fancies giving me a jump/bump I'd really appreciate it, so long as I can get to Halfrauds or something to get a battery charger/jump starter!

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Looking good mate. Shame about the battery though!

Where have you got the track day? I'm Basingstoke as well so will have to keep an eye out!

Yeah it's a real pain in the backside... need to get it fixed before the weekend, reluctant to buy a brand new battery as I've got the Varley race battery to go in! The track day is at Silverstone but it's a novice event but will be a good first outing I'm sure. The car doesn't really go very far at the moment, just back and forth to the train station (from Kempshott-ish area) and to Chineham (gym) so if you see me it'll be lucky! ;-)

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
looks sweet man but does stripping it bare like that really make much of a difference?

Thanks! Well, every little counts I always think, plus there's a lot I don't need and for things like welding the cage in you have to weld it to bare metal and it doesn't really give you an option to keep the interior in!

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Thankfully a mate was able to jump my car, it started first time so was definitely the battery and not the immobiliser or anything like that. No idea what caused it to fail either, going to pick up a jump-starter for the weekend, just incase!

Yeah it's a real pain in the backside... need to get it fixed before the weekend, reluctant to buy a brand new battery as I've got the Varley race battery to go in! The track day is at Silverstone but it's a novice event but will be a good first outing I'm sure. The car doesn't really go very far at the moment, just back and forth to the train station (from Kempshott-ish area) and to Chineham (gym) so if you see me it'll be lucky! ;-)

Fair play, I've got my first trackday this Saturday at Bedford. Open pit straight in at the deep end, should be fine!

And I'm surprised I haven't seen you before now. I live in Chineham and go to Fitness First as well. This a second car or do you have a 'daily'?

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Fair play, I've got my first trackday this Saturday at Bedford. Open pit straight in at the deep end, should be fine!

And I'm surprised I haven't seen you before now. I live in Chineham and go to Fitness First as well. This a second car or do you have a 'daily'?

Good man glad to hear it. Nope, this is my main car at the moment... I work from home a lot and if I have to go anywhere I take the train. Strange I've not seen you down the gym, do you take the Clio?

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Coming along nicely. Any plans for the body interior? Painting blue?

Cage looks good, do you know how much it weighs?

Thanks mate. Not sure what to do about the interior to be honest. Tempted by all white because of the cage but not convinced on how it will look on a Cup. Cage is about 35kg with all of the bars so probably 25 at the moment :) really happy with the cage.

Thanks mate. Not sure what to do about the interior to be honest. Tempted by all white because of the cage but not convinced on how it will look on a Cup. Cage is about 35kg with all of the bars so probably 25 at the moment :) really happy with the cage.

I'd probably keep it blue if it were me, but it's your car. Blue or white would both look great anyway I think.

Good man glad to hear it. Nope, this is my main car at the moment... I work from home a lot and if I have to go anywhere I take the train. Strange I've not seen you down the gym, do you take the Clio?

Fair makes it easier than driving a stripped out Clio everyday :)

Yer sometimes in the Clio or just go in my Dads Mitsubishi Legnum usually. Haven't been for a little while though, been doing lates on the car!

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
OK so spent the past couple of days trying to figure out what on earth was causing the battery to be flat all the time. Managed to get hold of a multimeter and proved that the alternator was good; pumping out 14.5 volts. Yet the battery wasn't getting charged at all. Left the car running for an hour yet no charge whatsoever got into the battery. I suspect the battery has completely died so meeting up with Budgie and Nick172Cup tomorrow (thanks a lot guys) to grab a new one rather than buying a brand new one... race battery to fit soon.

I've got a bad earth somewhere, by doing a search it points towards a bad connection in the rear lights (fog light comes on the dash upon brake pedal) so will try and fix this first. Have heard mixed opinions about whether this could be causing my battery problems?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Looking well Rhys. Is the RS4 yours too?

Why not strip the loom of all useless plugs and wrap it?

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Looking well Rhys. Is the RS4 yours too?

Why not strip the loom of all useless plugs and wrap it?

Thanks Ben, RS4 is no longer with us :(

Managed to solve the problem, turned out to be a loose connection underneath the dash, lots of fuses etc, very odd but now works great. I've got to wrap all of the cables as well as they are tucked away but not very well protected, I can see them wearing through quite easily!

Some pics of the car on track available here: http://www.race-keeper-events.co.uk/racers.php?e=5&f=126

Car was actually fantastic on the track, tyres were completely tortured (had some 595 RSR's and highly recommend them) but discovered that the GAZ coilovers may not be the most ideal, might have to search for a better set, would love some recommendations, ideally with camber adjustment. Unfortunately the project is likely going to have to go on hold, just applied for a mortgage with the Mrs which will suck all of our money, but after that goes through... cams, bodies here we come!

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Small update, fitted new camber shims (-2 degrees) and fitted the braided brake lines. Interestingly the rear braided lines don't actually sit near the caliper, they sit underneath the car, bizarre!

Was slightly concerned when I saw this, but noticed that it was just a load of water that had soaked into the exhaust wrap...

IMG_20130308_161822.jpg

These were very annoying to screw together, loads of fluid was lost whilst getting these fitted which I thought wouldn't happen with the vacuum? Was a LOT worse at the rear!

IMG_20130310_193150.jpg

Rear lines fitted...

IMG_20130310_214553.jpg

Camber shim fitted...

IMG_20130310_213609.jpg

I'll get some photos of the car how it sits today, i.e. with the camber setup. I now have slightly more camber on the back than I do the front, front is currently -1.5 according to KTec, Ideally I want this at about -2.

Cheers
Rhys

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
So I've been spending... currently got in the garage waiting to be fitted...

Rear tailgate polycarb window
Rear quarter polycarbs
Front window polycarbs (with 4 round holes in slider)
Cup-racer door cards
Fibreglass bonnet

And will be with me soon I hope...

Fibreglass front doors (CS Group Buy)
Stud conversion kit

I'll be buying the following ASAP too...

20mm front spacers from Dan@MAD

Pics of the cage (half) fitted too...

IMG_20130212_151912.jpg

IMG_20130212_151940.jpg

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Great work Rhys.

I find it quite amusing how many builds are currently in progress that are identical. Yours, Kelvs, mine.

Get that rear loom trimmed and re wrapped. It makes such a difference to the inside.

Great work Rhys.

I find it quite amusing how many builds are currently in progress that are identical. Yours, Kelvs, mine.

Get that rear loom trimmed and re wrapped. It makes such a difference to the inside.

Its a good thing, if any of us get stuck at least you know that someone has already been there.

Great build thread btw.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
OK so a small update, things have slowed down due to a house purchase but doing what I can! Managed to get hold of a fibreglass bonnet from a race car, not in amazing condition but will get it repaired and wrapped again. Many thanks to Andrewclio for driving over to help me fit it, great guy. Some photos of getting it on and putting the aerocatches in:

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

photo%204.JPG

photo%205.JPG

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
The weight of this bonnet is unreal, literally one finger to lift... I've made sure the bonnet pins are very tight to avoid any flapping around. Drove it from Cardiff -> Basingstoke last night and had no problems at all.

Clio172cup rally car
OK so a small update, things have slowed down due to a house purchase but doing what I can! Managed to get hold of a fibreglass bonnet from a race car, not in amazing condition but will get it repaired and wrapped again. Many thanks to Andrewclio for driving over to help me fit it, great guy. Some photos of getting it on and putting the aerocatches in:

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

photo%203.JPG

photo%204.JPG

photo%205.JPG

Sorry mate only now I'm seeing this post! No problem at all! That bonnet is ridiculously light, tbh I wish I bought a fiberglass bonnet now lol! The car is looking really good mate, can't wait to see the new doors too :)

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Another small update unfortunately, got my fibreglass bonnet re-wrapped in gloss black as it had some random stickers and was in a tatty condition. Really impressed with the work that these guys did (www.monsterwraps.co.uk). Also had them do a sunstrip whilst they were at it!

Underneath the original vinyl wrap... it was painted YELLOW, I thought it had been cheaply wrapped twice!

IMG_20130518_155031.jpg

Fitting the bonnet wrap...

IMG_20130518_160251.jpg

Fitting the sunstrip, just need some stickers now! :)

IMG_20130518_163651.jpg

The finished article...

IMG_20130518_172121.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with it, would welcome comments! Thanks, Rhys.

Last edited: