ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Razor Mechanical Keyboard?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hi again chaps, my son now wants a mechanical keyboard and has said about how good the Razor ones are? He also wants the Razor mouse.
Now before i go out and buy him them are these the best gaming keyboards or is there something else he sould be looking at?

Advice and help always grateful.

S.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
The new K70’s are ~£150 new.

If he can make use of the extra keys on that one then it’ll be worth it. Make sure he has a good look at the mouse before choosing.

Some game shops have gaming areas with them out to have a good look at now.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The new K70’s are ~£150 new.

If he can make use of the extra keys on that one then it’ll be worth it. Make sure he has a good look at the mouse before choosing.

Some game shops have gaming areas with them out to have a good look at now.
He will also need it to do his school work, he told me about different stages of buttons (green, yellow and orange)

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
It’ll be fine for his school work.

You get different models of key switches - blue, red, brown etc.

Best to read up on which one he thinks will suit him best if he’s worried about that.

If it’s just the mechanical element he wants then the one you linked will be great.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Razor are s**t IMO. I love their deathadder mice but they break too quickly.

Good mouse is the Logitech Proteus. It's not expensive, has a great sensor and enough buttons to make it suitable for most games.

I like Ducky for keyboards, they are a bit more expensive, and as much as I hate Corsair stuff - the switches in the Corsair keyboards are by Cherry so you should be fine. I'd still get a Ducky shine if you think he's been good.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Razor are s**t IMO. I love their deathadder mice but they break too quickly.

Good mouse is the Logitech Proteus. It's not expensive, has a great sensor and enough buttons to make it suitable for most games.

I like Ducky for keyboards, they are a bit more expensive, and as much as I hate Corsair stuff - the switches in the Corsair keyboards are by Cherry so you should be fine. I'd still get a Ducky shine if you think he's been good.
I was looking at that mouse, is this the keyboard mate?

How much is it?

http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-en/Ducky-Shine-6/

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Personally I am not a fan of the Razor range based on experience of friends who have regretted buying them. Instead I have used Corsair K95 (Cherry red switches I think) and Ducky Shine. I loved both of those. I did find the Corsair the slightly better option for my own use as I use the keyboard an awful lot for typing / writing software (i.e. non-gaming). I usually switch to a non-gaming old-school Microsoft keyboard when I'm not gaming but - if I'm being lazy - I found the Corsair slightly easier to live with as an all-rounder.

As for gaming mice... I'm not sure what I'd recommend buddy. I'm still yet to find one I am truly comfortable / happy to use!

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Logitech for me. I love my G Pro mechanical keyboard. I'm a 31 year old though, and didn't want something with flashing lights and all that guff. IMO a Ducky or HHKB would be a bit overkill for your son. They're enthusiast level boards.

Regarding mice, it's usually down to sensor preference and hand shape/size.

I currently have the Logitech G Pro, G403 and G502. The G403 is the one I find myself using the most. It has a nice stiff braided cable and the Pixart 3360 sensor which has been one of the best sensors for the last few years. But again, this is just because the shape of it fits my hand better.

Zowie (BenQ) make some of the best gaming mice out there too. The FK2 was my go to until I gave it to my little brother, it has the same sensor as my G403 but a flatter and more comfortable shape. I only changed as I wanted a mouse and keyboard brand to match.., sad I know.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I was Logitech through and through for years, but have increasingly got tired of the woeful driver support for their own products. I still vent at the lack of up-to-date acknowledgement of the G25 wheel. It’s still used a LOT guys - support the damn thing in your current LGS. ?

The only device I use from them now is the G13 game board - which I’ve not really found an ideal replacement for, yet. There’s a few out there, but it’s a rare peripheral to have.

My keyboard is a Corsair K63 Compact, which I really like - having the numeric keypad lopped off is very useful if desk space is a premium.

My current mouse is an Asus ROG Gladius and that I find to be a good balance of input buttons, smoothness and feel.

F82 M4
I was never a fan of Razer stuff until I bought a Lancehead and it's easily the best mouse I've ever owned. And I've had A LOT of mice!

I use a Ducky Shine 5 with black switches as my keyboard

But to answer your original question the Razer keyboards are very good. They are their own mechanical switches and not the usual Cherry MX ones

Go to a shop where you can put your hand on all the mice.

You’ll game better & ache-free with something a bit cheaper that feels 100% natural than spending a hundred quid on one where everything is just in the wrong place by half a centimetre IME.

But bravo your son. Think I saw the original thread where dad buys son new computer. Son: oh btw I also need £150 of peripherals ?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I have a K95 Platinum which I’ve been using for over a year. It’s an awesome keyboard. Recently bought a Logitech G810 for my son’s PC. I’ve been running that for a week now and think prefer the Romer-G switches in that to the MX browns in the K95.

Both are expensive but worth it? Only you can decide on that.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Go to a shop where you can put your hand on all the mice.

You’ll game better & ache-free with something a bit cheaper that feels 100% natural than spending a hundred quid on one where everything is just in the wrong place by half a centimetre IME.

But bravo your son. Think I saw the original thread where dad buys son new computer. Son: oh btw I also need £150 of peripherals ?
Haha, yes mate we went into Currys this morning and he tried a few. There is no PC gaming shops local to us so Currys had to do.
I bought him a PC monitor for his birthday, he still needs a proper gaming PC which will be the next thing.

So many many thanks to everyone who has given me some great advice, Billy had a rough idea of what he wanted but thanks to this thread he has now dropped the Razor keyboard for a Corsair one, below is the list of what ive just ordered for him.

Corsair Gaming MM300 Soft-cloth Gaming Surface/Pad, Extended Size, 930mm x 300mm, Textile-Weave Material, with New Logo

Corsair Gaming GLAIVE RGB Optical Gaming Mouse, Aluminium RGB Back-Lit, 16,000dpi, Wired, USB 2.0, 6 Buttons, 3 Grips

Corsair K70 RGB MK.2, RGB Back-Lit, Cherry MX Brown Mechanical, Full Size, Wired, USB 2.0, 1000Hz, Anti-Ghosting, 8MB

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Lucky lad. I hope he has plenty of jobs to do round the house to help pay it off!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
It arrived today while I was at work, I got a text asking if he could open it. ?
Thanks again all. ?

IMG_20180731_165142.jpg

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Bad ass. The Corsair stuff is lovely.

Now tell him to 1v1 me in CSGO to see if it was worth all the money :p

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Bad ass. The Corsair stuff is lovely.

Now tell him to 1v1 me in CSGO to see if it was worth all the money :p
Haha, his current PC isn't a gaming PC mate. As you can probably tell he is desperate for one though, he has a list of the spec he wants which I'll post up for advice.