ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattling Exhaust

S2000

Having just fitted my new cat back exhaust and decat today There is a bit of a rattle as it hits the underside of the car in a coulple of places. One of the places it hits is at the back of the decat (the end closest to the rear of the car) and the other is on the rear axle. The rattling is not too bad though - it is only heard really when at very low revs, turning to the right and when switching off as well as some gear changes.

What I was wondering is if there is any easy way to move the whole exhaust to one side (towards drivers side) by about a 1/2 inch?

One thing that is worrying me a little is that there is a different rattle also to be heard (it is not either of the above mentioned places) and it can only be heard inside the car and if you open the bonnet and put your head down close to the engine. This rattle is not there all the time but when you do hear it it is a constant noise that doesnt vary too much depending on revs etc.

Is this likely to be off the downpipe as it may have moved slightly when the new exhaust was being fitted?

I also noticed a couple of times a very slight burning smell - do you get this sort of smell from the exhaust putty as first?

If it is not the exhaust putty then I dont know what it is as no part of the exhaust is near/touching anything that could burn.

Thanks,

David.

[Edited by donsrno1 on 24 August 2005 at 11:27pm]

Mr2 Roadster

Quote: Originally posted by donsrno1 on 25 August 2005
I also meant to say that the decat is hitting the heat shield as there is only about 0.5cm clearance.

Bend it!

S2000

I was trying to do that but I cant get at it where its hitting because the dacat is in the way and I dont want to take the whole thing apart again.

S2000

Ive managed to get 2 of the three rattles sorted by playing about witht the ruber mounts. There is now just one rattle and that is at the downpipe just before it reaches the decat. Any ideas on how that could be fixed?

Im also getting a bit of a burning smell as well when Ive been out driving in it and these are only about 4 or 5 minute drives at most. The smell is only really noticable at the drivers side of the car.

Has anyone got any idea as to what could be causing the burning smell as I cant see anywhere it could be.