ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rat Style Clio - My first car

RB 182
It's good to try and be different, but as has been said above it's too forced.

I don't know much about the RAT scene, but from what I gather it takes years of changing items for other parts as and when they need replacing, which in turn creates the true look.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
466.jpg

this is rat.

Clio Dynamique 1.2
Whether its a 'genuine' rat or not, rat cars are sh!t, end of. Forced or naturally sh!tty there is nothing cool about ratted cars. However, I appreciate you're doing something different than the get a 1.2 and make it into a Sport rep project which in my opinion is also very pointless. You started with a nice base there so if I were you I'd put it back to how you first got it and start again. Looked great for a first car so its such a shame you're turning it into scrap really.

1eight2
It looks s**t on modern cars. Campers and bugs maybe, but I'd rather seen a clean standard with subtle mods.

Normal bonnet, bit of lows on some coilovers and remove the gash rear stickers, that'd actually look pretty good.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Oh err....

Not a fan to be honest mate. If you lost the rusty bonnet & rear stickers it would look alright tho in my oppinion.

Ph1 172 (titanium)
Ding some panels, roof rack stacked to the sky with s**t, park bench in the front, put about 400bhp in and you might be getting there!

'Mia' Rover Mini 35
Return it to the normal paint, and leave the Rota's on and you'll have a smart looking car.

Calling it Rat, well your a bit stupid for that. Thats not rat, its not rat unless every time you go to get in it, there is a risk of you falling through the floor, or there are so many rust holes, that you have to drive with the windows open for fear of carbon monoxide poisoning. Thats a rat car.

ali-ham

ClioSport Club Member
  williams + 182's
'RAT' is not for me, fair play to you for being brave enough, i would have lowered it on a nice set of wheels, kept it clean and saved your money for bigger and better things.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
unfortunatley I have a love hate relationship with "rat look"

Sometimes it's just an expression for "I have a rubbish car"

Othertimes it looks good.

I haven't made my mind up. I would get the original bonnet back on and go more euro considering you've got what are lovely wheels. No actually I'd just get it back to normal, enjoy how frugal the engine is and save up for a big bad bhp toy or a house deposit.

As long as you like it that's all that matters :) I bet your mother doesn't though :p

RS Megane 225
If you rusted the whole car it'd look a lot better.. All or nothing in my eyes. But fair play every1 needs to experiment (Y)

Phase 1 172
would look awesome if you did a flush drop on those wheels! i had an experiment with a 'ratty' interior in my old clio...
rat interior.jpg

clio 172 cup
how can you get a bonnet rusty and abit of hazard tape and say its rat look nearly as bad as people who put some buckets in and a cage mounted to the interior plastics and say theyve got a 'track' car ....

Clio 197
Can't just f**k your bonnet up then say its rat look, coilovers and wheels should be next on your list

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I don't know much about the 'rat' scene but I do actually like your car, despite many others practically hating it. It may be ugly but it will turn heads, at a show or on the street!

This might help you for future idea's... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Iv42AOZIk

Turning heads isn't always a good thing... I'm certain if I walk through my town centre with my left nut hanging above my belt I'd turn heads

That rx7 was awesome before they 'ratted it'

Most people defend their ratted cars by saying oooo it's different, it's really not, there's even a forum for it. Ratlook.co.uk or something.

If this had 1*2 lump or something epic then maybe I might respect it, but in it's current state, this is something I point and laugh at in the street. Awful.

Clio
There is difference between true rat (which you dont understand) and forced rat though.

Rat comes from (as has been said above) caring little for the exterior of the car but spending all the cash on engine/running gear. Originates from the 50's/60's in the USA when people were picking up 30's cars that has been sitting for years gaining real patina, not sanding down perfectly good cars to make them go rusty.

wrong. What happened was; there were two blokes, one said to the other "hahahaha your car is s**t." To which he replied "no, it's meant to look like that. Honestly. It's called...umm...rat style..." Then Suddenly everyone with a rusty bucket of s**t thought, that's a f**king great excuse!

Clio 1.2
My old college tutor summed it up pretty well, "people rat their cars when its a heap of s**t and the car is beyond repair"