ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Raspberry Pi

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
Got my PiHouse the other day :approve:

b0ac3f20.jpg

thats pretty cool! gonna make one on the cnc router with some perspex/lexan or something.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Just ordered one of these from RS. Anyone done anything useful and interesting with it yet?

Nope!

Sat in it's case gathering dust, will give it a go soon but waiting on development boards to come out for the I/O tbh.

debian is ok, the GUI is pretty laggy and browsing is pretty slow (drivers not optimized still)

raspBMC is pretty good, same as OpenELEC and sporting the XMBC that's popular, it's pretty good, had a few lockups, could do with being a bit smoother and the video decoding is a bit choppy on some 1080p movies I've got but not bad at all.

I was going to give ArchLinux a go, but then I thought the better of it.

Polo + Micra
yeah got debian on one sd card and raspbmc rc3 on an other

got a little 4 line lcd running in debian giving me some info (although can get IP address to work) and got omxplayer installed which seems to work pretty well

going to try get raspbmc running off a usb stick/hard drive next see if that speeds things up a little

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I bought one, hbmc card, wifi adaptor, wireless palm keyboard and trackball. Should all be delivered next week. Hopefully does wat apple tv does.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I bought one, hbmc card, wifi adaptor, wireless palm keyboard and trackball. Should all be delivered next week. Hopefully does wat apple tv does.

Best not arrive next week if you've only just ordered it, been waiting 12 weeks for mine to arrive lol

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
You can now get them from ModMyPi or Maplins with instant delivery btw!

Jooookin! Should of just held off and bought from maplin then. Hopefully RS will get mine to me soon then, although I have no idea what im gonna do with it

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Not sure what it I really want to with mine either lol the apple tv substitute is the best excuse for me getting it so far.

Prepare for disappointment.

I would disagree, mine connects to my windows home server, so I can play all my TV programs, films and music. Will even stream my blu rays including Dolby DTS audio.

Controlled by any android device I have laying about. And I only got this Tuesday.

This is never going to please a apple lover, its only 25 quid remember. And soon will be able to do a lot more than apple can ever manage with a closed platform restricting users to only use their formats/ways etc

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I would disagree, mine connects to my windows home server, so I can play all my TV programs, films and music. Will even stream my blu rays including Dolby DTS audio.

Controlled by any android device I have laying about. And I only got this Tuesday.

This is never going to please a apple lover, its only 25 quid remember. And soon will be able to do a lot more than apple can ever manage with a closed platform restricting users to only use their formats/ways etc

Its CPU is vastly underpowered - it has a good GPU but it's limited to decoding h264 in hardware (ok, MPEG2 codec and some proprietary wins**t codec are/will be available for purchase).

Anything else with a decent bit-rate and resolution will grind.

XBMC is slow on it, massive pauses all over the place.

Oh, and there's also the nasty bugs in the USB core in the silicon that have not been fixed (or cannot be worked around) by broadcom since they released the SOC years back.

Buy a roku if you want a media player.

If you want to tinker with a low cost linux platform, buy a Pi.

Edit: One thing the Pi has going for it is that it's GPU natively supports CEC, which might be of interest to some people.

Its CPU is vastly underpowered - it has a good GPU but it's limited to decoding h264 in hardware (ok, MPEG2 codec and some proprietary wins**t codec are/will be available for purchase).

Anything else with a decent bit-rate and resolution will grind.

XBMC is slow on it, massive pauses all over the place.

Oh, and there's also the nasty bugs in the USB core in the silicon that have not been fixed (or cannot be worked around) by broadcom since they released the SOC years back.

Buy a roku if you want a media player.

If you want to tinker with a low cost linux platform, buy a Pi.

Edit: One thing the Pi has going for it is that it's GPU natively supports CEC, which might be of interest to some people.

Fair comment, and I agree with that.

Thing the CPU does well for what it is tho. Wasn't expecting it to play .mkv so smoothly

Ibiza SC
Just to let all you guys know, if you have a Pi on order with Farnell that hasn't yet been despatched, you will be receiving the newer 512mb model over the previous 256mb model.

Cheers,
Steve

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
My 512mb model was delivered yesterday...only ordered in April lol. Not had chance to mess about with it yet though. Spose I best start reading up on python etc cos I have no idea what I'm gonna do with it

Ibiza SC
Most of the Pi related emails we've had this week have been regarding if they are going to get the newer 512mb model due to the announcement, just thought I'd make it clear!

Whats everyone's experience with the 512mb version?
Worth getting? Does it come with a power lead or would a phone usb charger or similar fit the bill?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I've got the 512mb version runnin XBMC and it works fine. It doesn't come with a power lead, but a phone charger will be fine aslong as it can provide at least 1amp otherwise it may not work properly

Polo + Micra
i'd say make sure you got a decent micro usb lead as you can lose a lot of voltage down a crap one